Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
When I was unemployed for 9 months, I was looking for any reason to leave the house. Sitting in front of a computer at home, all day long, searching for jobs got so depressing.

I took up jogging and was doing 5 miles a day. I'd run to Target for any little thing. I'd walk the dog around the neighborhood.

Leaving the house, for anything, was the highlight of my days.

You wasn't supposed to search for jobs all day because that's not productive. you find the right jobs which is about a 2 hour activity and spend the rest of the day

networking online
sending cold emails
creating new resumes
creating new cover letters
researching inside contacts for companies

Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Some may feel that waiting is delaying their job search process which is why it's good if you don't have to leave the house.

Quote:
$1.36 at Kinkos
so... they have a kinko's in their house?

also, update for your poor, poor clients - there's no such things as kinko's anymore. it's called fed ex office now. you should probably keep up on this kind of stuff as a (shudder) professional career counselor.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
so... they have a kinko's in their house?

also, update for your poor, poor clients - there's no such things as kinko's anymore. it's called fed ex office now. you should probably keep up on this kind of stuff as a (shudder) professional career counselor.

Yeah I meant fed ex I am so used to saying kinkos's lol

Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
Quote:
You wasn't supposed to search for jobs all day because that's not productive. you find the right jobs which is about a 2 hour activity and spend the rest of the day

networking online
sending cold emails
creating new resumes
creating new cover letters
researching inside contacts for companies
1) I have my own job search strategy that worked out fine for me.
2) Nothing in my post implies that I wasn't doing all those things while I searched for new jobs.
3) You still missed the point

ALL job search strategies can get depressing and tiring for anyone, so getting out of the house, particularly for someone like me that loves fresh air and sunshine, was good for me. So while you may have been happier not leaving the house, some others would not.

And BTW, my job searching was not bound by a your 2-hour window. I searched round the clock and would find fresh job postings later in the afternoon to evening that weren't there earlier and made sure I was one of the first resumes in. I usually got calls for interviews very quickly.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Unemployed folks should be looking for work , at least, 40 hours per week.the same amount a full time employee works.
Why?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why?

because it keeps your mind active

Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
If an online application does not yield in suitable candidates, they will look into alternative hiring practices. If it's a problem, it will get fixed.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Unemployed folks should be looking for work , at least, 40 hours per week.the same amount a full time employee works.

Waiting for an available pc should not be an issue when you have all your time free.
Only if you're unemployed and looking.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Some people who have expressed interest in dishwashing jobs and some of the ads I have come across requires you to complete a online application??? I mean someone who has a interest in being a dishwasher probably wouldn't have a computer at home or computer experience so to fill out a online application is beyond nuts.

clerical or customer service I can see but a job that does not require the use of a computer?? Now I can see how someone can turn to illegal ways of making money because for a dishwasher job you should just be able to fax a resume. You definitely didn't see ads like this in 1999.
Most dishwashing jobs today require computer use. If nothing more then to use a computer to clock in and out.

With internet use in the US running as high as 97%, requiring people to apply online is not an issue. The only groups it might be a problem for would be senior citizens and disabled people, and even the majority of them could apply online, even if they needed someone to help them do it.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why?
Because to do less is a disservice to the taxpayers and employers paying for their life on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search