Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There are older folks who don't know how to use a computer.

Granted, they don't need to know. Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues.
I'm not sure that this observation is even on topic where this thread is concerned but I feel compelled to respond. How old are "older folks" to you? Why do these "older folks" not need to know (and I'm not even going to comment on the "granted" bit)? Of what relevance is your estimation that, "Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues."?

I'm 67 years old and I don't know anyone around my age who doesn't know how to use a computer and log onto the internet. I do know a few people in their 80's who have a little bit of difficulty but even they can deal with email and internet.

Comfortably retired and paid their dues? What the fudge does that mean?

I can only assume from your coming out with this sort of nonsense is that you're a rather pompous and entitled youngster with not much real knowledge. Hang in there with TVSG. His 38 year old wisdom will lead you far not.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
but I feel compelled to respond.

Good for you.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that this observation is even on topic where this thread is concerned but I feel compelled to respond. How old are "older folks" to you? Why do these "older folks" not need to know (and I'm not even going to comment on the "granted" bit)? Of what relevance is your estimation that, "Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues."?

I'm 67 years old and I don't know anyone around my age who doesn't know how to use a computer and log onto the internet. I do know a few people in their 80's who have a little bit of difficulty but even they can deal with email and internet.

Comfortably retired and paid their dues? What the fudge does that mean?

I can only assume from your coming out with this sort of nonsense is that you're a rather pompous and entitled youngster with not much real knowledge. Hang in there with TVSG. His 38 year old wisdom will lead you far not.
My last boss was in his mid-50's. He could barely use a computer. Things like attaching a document or photo to an e-mail, finding a saved document, downloading a document from an e-mail, uploading pictures from a camera, using a digital camera he could not do without assistance. My mom (also in her mid-50's) struggles beyond very basic functions with computers.

There are still people out there who don't know how to use computers. I wouldn't consider my mom or my old boss old, but I would say they were older. They're part of a generation that is unfamiliar with computers. I know several "old" people (70's+) that don't know anything about computers, even simple things like turning them on.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
My last boss was in his mid-50's. He could barely use a computer. Things like attaching a document or photo to an e-mail, finding a saved document, downloading a document from an e-mail, uploading pictures from a camera, using a digital camera he could not do without assistance. My mom (also in her mid-50's) struggles beyond very basic functions with computers.

There are still people out there who don't know how to use computers. I wouldn't consider my mom or my old boss old, but I would say they were older. They're part of a generation that is unfamiliar with computers. I know several "old" people (70's+) that don't know anything about computers, even simple things like turning them on.
Thank you. That was point. I didn't think it needed to be spelled out, but I shouldn't overestimate the intelligence of some people.

Chances are, these people aren't going out to apply for jobs that require online applications (they've reached their retirement age and are retired or planning to retire soon), and a lot of the things they would like to do everyday can probably still be done in-person, by phone or direct mail. As a result, they really have no need for them and can choose not to use them. Of course, I expect all of this to gradually change as each generation becomes more and more familiar with computers.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

Quote:
Thank you. That was point. I didn't think it needed to be spelled out, but I shouldn't overestimate the intelligence of some people.

Chances are, these people aren't going out to apply for jobs that require online applications (they've reached their retirement age and are retired or planning to retire soon), and a lot of the things they would like to do everyday can probably still be done in-person, by phone or direct mail. As a result, they really have no need for them and can choose not to use them. Of course, I expect all of this to gradually change as each generation becomes more and more familiar with computers.
I obviously failed to make my point but am amazed that MY generation is being so summarily dismissed as being totally computer illiterate.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I obviously failed to make my point...
What point?

Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No there are plenty of organizations that only require a resume by email, mail, or fax
Usually those are smaller and some medium sized organizations. Organizations with employees in the four and five figures almost always require online applications.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
I obviously failed to make my point but am amazed that MY generation is being so summarily dismissed as being totally computer illiterate.
They aren't. You're taking the comments personally even though they weren't aimed directly towards you. Statistically speaking your generation has more people unfamiliar with computers than younger generations. It's simply a fact. That doesn't mean all older people are computer illiterate.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
There are older folks who don't know how to use a computer.

Granted, they don't need to know. Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues.
There are people over 80 who blog:

ADVANCED STYLE: Interview With an 80 year old Blogger

My Mom's Blog by Thoroughly Modern Millie

Meet my blogger of the moment: 80 year old, Christopher Foster | Metro News

Happiness inner peace

Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 PM

See the post above yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search