Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 AM

690 posts, read 960,201 times

Advertisements

I am near NYC, and not too many police depts are hiring here. I am thinking of applying soon around the country, possibly in DC and the Bay areas. How should I approach this? I am just thinking what if I spend thousands to travel for multiple application processes and never get hired. Even if they accommodate, and I can complete a process for one dept in one trip, I can't really travel to the Bay, for example, 10 different times for each dept's process, and it seems like it would be impossible to combine them all in one trip. Not sure if it makes sense to apply to only one dept at that point, since a chance of getting hired will be slim. Is there a smart way to do this or it would be just a waste of time and money? Should I focus on close by depts instead (like DC)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
How should I approach this?
Ask yourself, "What is it about me that would want a distant police department (or generically, employer) to hire me above all the local candidates?"

Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM

690 posts, read 960,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ask yourself, "What is it about me that would want a distant police department (or generically, employer) to hire me above all the local candidates?"
well, i might stand out somewhat, but they do it all the time, they are picky so they don't always find enough good local applicants

Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,212,439 times
It's been done before. If you are an excellent candidate, they might look into using local services (such as retired cops for PI work, polygraph administration). It's commonly done here in Canada, but I don't know about the US. Feel free to just call their recruiting services, there's nothing wrong with an inquiry.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 AM

2,845 posts, read 5,992,955 times
You can always talk to them and see if they can accomodate you in any way. That's if you get a call for an interview after applying. I applied to some places that when responding, I come to find out there are multiple phases, like TWO tests, a pre-lim interview, a follow up, etc. Made me think they wanted more local candidates anyways so I didn't bother going. But others would accomodate and have just one interview because they knew their candidates were coming from outside the state, or some did initial phone interviews, etc.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM

710 posts, read 3,381,834 times
You are not going to find a place that hires out of state applicants in fewer than three trips.

Generally it goes something like:

Written exam and PT test
Background interview, polygraph, medical, 2nd PT test

These things take time to schedule, and the bigger departments are likely going to be your best shot- they are used to hiring a lot of folks, and have the resources to lump the tests together to make it easier on out of towners.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,422,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
I am near NYC, and not too many police depts are hiring here. I am thinking of applying soon around the country, possibly in DC and the Bay areas. How should I approach this? I am just thinking what if I spend thousands to travel for multiple application processes and never get hired. Even if they accommodate, and I can complete a process for one dept in one trip, I can't really travel to the Bay, for example, 10 different times for each dept's process, and it seems like it would be impossible to combine them all in one trip. Not sure if it makes sense to apply to only one dept at that point, since a chance of getting hired will be slim. Is there a smart way to do this or it would be just a waste of time and money? Should I focus on close by depts instead (like DC)?
The Dallas Police Department is desperate for people. They even make it easy for those coming from a different state to do all of the testing in a few days.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM

60 posts, read 174,607 times
Many PD's are very accommodating to out of state applicants, and even have individual testing and hiring policies in place to make it easier to bring in good candidates, no matter their location. If you find a department that you're interested in, contact their recruiting department of recruiting officer and ask what their policies are for hiring out of state applicants. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
You need to plan wisely. Call the recruiters at major metro areas like Dallas, Atlanta, etc. and see if they offer an accelerated testing process for out of state candidates (some will run out of state candidates through just about everything (written test, physical, psych and poly in 3 days).

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For most departments that is true but major metros recruit nationally, so being from out of state is not a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search