U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM

223 posts, read 634,580 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a development program with a $3.2 billion company. Today I had to interview with someone from HR, and a District Manager. The interview started off great, and the DM slammed my current employer (WM). Asking question like do you have to repeat yourself to WM associates? Do they have problems understanding directions? The HR rep replied “I would think WM employees would have a difficult time at understanding directions.

The Dm slammed my choice of School (College) telling me how her son was going to Michigan St. How my school and the area I live in are a bad choice and a dead area compared to the corporate city. This interview was the worst, I was expecting more from a major HR company rep. I'm having second opinions. The company slammed my current employer so much I wanted to defend (WM). They also talked about my neighborhood in a negative way, and my choice of college. They told my WM was doing things illegally and against the law.

My next interview is with their boss; also they mention that they had no clue WM employed intelligent people. This has to be the worst interview I have ever had. Seems like the interview focused more on the negative side trying to tear me apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM

8,797 posts, read 13,284,781 times
My first thought is join the club. I think everyone on here has had bad expereiences with HR and interviews and the hiring process with them in general.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,221 times
Bring a hidden audio recording device next and pass it along to your old boss.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,842,396 times
Well, MSU is a great party school.....

I'm having a hard time understanding your situation....mainly because I wasn't there.....

Sometimes hiring managers and HR will try to sway you to leave your current employer by bad mouthing them. And here we're advised to never bad mouth our current employers......

Interesting, eh?

Other times these HR folks and hiring managers truly despise your current employer (maybe they used to work there?)......it happens. And they have bad feelings towards them. They may be accurate (you want to leave), so I would just take it with a lot of salt.

I really try hard not to divulge where I'm currently employed unless it's absolutely necessary to describe my duties. In your case, I don't think it's an issue right now...as you landed an interview with their boss. If you don't get the job, it's a pretty safe bet it's because of where you are working now.

Good luck with the next phase....dazzle them with brilliance.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
Wow, that is bad! Sorry you had the experience!!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,842,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Bring a hidden audio recording device next and pass it along to your old boss.
So much for being clandestine with your job search.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,019,795 times
As I am reading your post I would get pissed if that was me during the interview, but I would take a deep breath and walk out of the interview. I expect difficult interviews but being treated like trash I have little tolerance for these days.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,975,296 times
They could have been testing your reaction to a long string of negativity and improper comments to see if you keep your cool under pressure. Or they could just be dicks. Hard to say.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM

5,083 posts, read 7,727,130 times
This happened to me once. I was moving to Northern California and I had 2 different interviews... One with the company from hell, and the other with the decent company. Once I got to my car, I broke down in tears. I had never, in 30+ years of my profession, ever, been treated so disrespectfully. Funny, within an hour, the recruiter was calling me with the "good" news that they wanted to hire me! Lol. The harassment continued when I negotiated for a higher salary, and while I put them on hold "to consider their offer", while I waited for the other offer to come through. So glad, as I did get a better offer. Years later, I've become friends with many of my peers who worked there and all said it really was awful. There was a huge exodus of staff.

Sounds like a hostile interview in which the goal is to see how you handle adversity. It's NOT personal at all! Sometimes you need to look beyond or below the line of questioning. I hope you were able to remain professional and calm. If your next interview follows this same attitude, you may want to reconsider working for this company.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,124,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They could have been testing your reaction to a long string of negativity and improper comments to see if you keep your cool under pressure. Or they could just be dicks. Hard to say.
I don't think what you described is an either/or situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or