U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

To me it looks DUMB to take out a notepad on the 1st interview since it's all about connecting with the interviewer's personality


Now if you want to do that after you have connected with the interviewer on thre 2nd interview then that's fine. But to meet someone for the first time and take out a notepad looks very strange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
Reputation: 4944
how is a notepad going to stop you from "connecting to the interviewer's personality"?

it's not like you're taking minutes, you might jot down 2 or 3 things in the course of an interview.

the interviewer generally also has a notepad, does that mean they're not connecting with your personality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
how is a notepad going to stop you from "connecting to the interviewer's personality"?

it's not like you're taking minutes, you might jot down 2 or 3 things in the course of an interview.

the interviewer generally also has a notepad, does that mean they're not connecting with your personality?

Because you are not making eye contact with the interviewer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,570,081 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Because you are not making eye contact with the interviewer
There's no need to make constant eye contact with the interviewer. I would find that pretty creepy. Nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to jot down a few items, as groar suggests.

It may seem "dumb" to you, but don't extrapolate your own personal experiences and form it into some general guideline everyone should follow. Note taking during interviews for a lowskill entry-level job may not be necessary. However, the further you progress in your career, the more intense the interviews will likely be. There may be very specific job-related details mentioned during the interview and it's more professional to take a second and write these down as opposed to contacting them later and be like "oh duh, i forgot what you said before, plz tell me again".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM
 
2,761 posts, read 4,138,695 times
Reputation: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You should have a notepad at an interview. It shows you are paying attention and taking it seriously.
Is this your opinion?
Or do you have credibility on the subject?

Lately, I haven't had a notepad with me for interviews. I'm not certain how hiring managers and interviewers feel about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
There's no need to make constant eye contact with the interviewer. I would find that pretty creepy. Nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to jot down a few items, as groar suggests.

It may seem "dumb" to you, but don't extrapolate your own personal experiences and form it into some general guideline everyone should follow. Note taking during interviews for a lowskill entry-level job may not be necessary. However, the further you progress in your career, the more intense the interviews will likely be. There may be very specific job-related details mentioned during the interview and it's more professional to take a second and write these down as opposed to contacting them later and be like "oh duh, i forgot what you said before, plz tell me again".


So it's dumb to make eye contact with someone who is interviewing you? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,570,081 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So it's dumb to make eye contact with someone who is interviewing you? LOL
reread the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
There's no need to make constant eye contact with the interviewer. I would find that pretty creepy. Nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to jot down a few items, as groar suggests.

It may seem "dumb" to you, but don't extrapolate your own personal experiences and form it into some general guideline everyone should follow. Note taking during interviews for a lowskill entry-level job may not be necessary. However, the further you progress in your career, the more intense the interviews will likely be. There may be very specific job-related details mentioned during the interview and it's more professional to take a second and write these down as opposed to contacting them later and be like "oh duh, i forgot what you said before, plz tell me again".
Sometimes I really wonder if you're being obtuse on purpose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
 
18,796 posts, read 9,612,025 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I always bring a portfolio with me that has a notebook in it. That is where I keep copies of my resume, important company information and a list of questions.

To be honest I don't usually take notes during the interview, but I have it as a possibility. I will certainly write down notes after the interview. As much as I can think of. Or even between interviews if I am meeting with multiple people and I am sitting in a room waiting.

Do this. This is not even optional. I would suggest you bring a nice portfolio.

Personally I also have nice personal business cards for professional use. I printed a nice professional motto on the card. I would hand my card to the interviewer and purposely point out the motto as a demonstration of what I believe I should do in my profession. It always makes a good impression and serves as a nice icebreaker.

You should take quick notes on important things. If there's a second interview, you can bring a few up just to demonstrate that you paid attention.

You should also bring a list of questions. Not stuff like "Do you offer 9/80?" Questions about your job:
- What's your exception for this role?
- What's your management style?
- How do you like working for this company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
 
18,796 posts, read 9,612,025 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Is this your opinion?
Or do you have credibility on the subject?

Lately, I haven't had a notepad with me for interviews. I'm not certain how hiring managers and interviewers feel about this.
I am a long time hiring manager. I tell you, it's a big deal!

If you come in empty handed, I would think you are unprepared and don't care. Usually my interview would confirm that.

See Post #28.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-03-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
reread the post



Sometimes I really wonder if you're being obtuse on purpose...


I believe I was clear when I said there is no need to take out a notepad..............THE FIRST TIME YOU MEET SOMEONE

Second interview is fine for note taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top