Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You should also bring a list of questions. Not stuff like "Do you offer 9/80?" Questions about your job:
- What's your exception for this role?
is this a typo?

also i don't bring a list of questions, i just have a list in my head, and ask any that weren't answered in the interview. i just bring some extra resumes, some reference sheets, and some blank paper to write on. but if someone thinks they might not remember the questions they had prepared, they should definitely bring a list (and, as mentioned before, jot down any new ones that arise during the interview). you're also right that questions should be focused on finding out what it's actually like to work at the company.

if you meant to say "what are your expectations for this role", i think an easier to answer version is "what would you expect the ideal candidate in this role to accomplish in their first year" or something like that. "what are your expectations" is really vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I believe I was clear when I said there is no need to take out a notepad..............THE FIRST TIME YOU MEET SOMEONE

Second interview is fine for note taking.
this makes 0 sense but what else is new.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM

in any case, the mental picture of one of wpd's poor clients taking his advice and freaking out with excitement at meeting the interviewer and then intently staring in their eyes for the entire first interview (in the second it is ok to glance away occasionally!) is making me simultaneously laugh and feel sad.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,524 times
Quote:
I believe I was clear when I said there is no need to take out a notepad..............THE FIRST TIME YOU MEET SOMEONE

Second interview is fine for note taking.
And I believe I was clear when I said you shouldn't try to relate your own experiences to others, especially when you have no idea where they are coming from. You seem to be blinding reciting some textbook guidelines you've memorized and think they can be applicable to anyone and everyone. In reality, that's not the case. Your techniques may work (that has yet to be seen) for people who are looking for entry-level, low-skilled jobs who are unable/unwilling to relocate (to tie in another thread), but guess what? There is a whole other big world out there full of people who have advanced careers, have specific skill sets, are willing to travel, etc.

In regards to this particular thread, some people don't need a second interview to secure a position. Some people may want to jot things down in order to reference back to later on. Surprise, some people may not fall into your narrowminded view of what a job-seeker is.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
So it's dumb to make eye contact with someone who is interviewing you? LOL
You are allowed to break eye contact occasionally. In fact it weirds people out if you don't. Crazy, I know.

Last edited by groar; 07-03-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
If I was a HM, and you showed up without a notebook or device to take notes, like in Evernote, your resume' would be hitting the round file.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM

i think that's a little extreme!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I don't think so unless you can prove to me you are some kind of memory expert. That would akin to me going out to a high tech prospective client and saying..........gee bud do you think I could borrow a piece of paper and pen to take notes about our meeting? I would get the "alien" look, and they would go with someone else.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Your posts are rational so it had me thinking. I am in my 40's so this is elementary, but I realize there are some that are much younger on this forum that don't know.

One of the reasons I take notes, frankly, is to use them in my follow up conversations to demonstrate that I am a good listener and it impresses them. There is no downside to note taking. I have even considered spending good money on Dragon Naturally speaking which converts voice to text so I can take great notes and still keep great eye contact and not lose focus.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
If I feel I need to write think I need to write things down during the interview, I ask if I need to. It doesn't always happen that I need to write down things because the company culture isn't talked about or the interview does not allow for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search