U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,719,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Your posts are rational so it had me thinking. I am in my 40's so this is elementary, but I realize there are some that are much younger on this forum that don't know.

One of the reasons I take notes, frankly, is to use them in my follow up conversations to demonstrate that I am a good listener and it impresses them. There is no downside to note taking. I have even considered spending good money on Dragon Naturally speaking which converts voice to text so I can take great notes and still keep great eye contact and not lose focus.
i don't think it can hurt to bring a notebook to an interview, obviously. and i do. but i don't think you have to be a memory expert to remember the things you need to remember in the course of a series of interviews. you have to have a good memory, but not a superhuman one. i can see someone being rightly confident enough in their memory to go without.

really, i usually only use my notepad to write down follow-up things - if i tell an interviewer i'll send them something or look into something for them. cause i forget that stuff. i can see jotting down the occasional thing that you want to remember to ask about when they ask you for questions, or something that you think will be important to remember down the line or comment on in your follow-up note. but all of those things can be remembered by someone with a good enough memory.

and on the flipside, while there is nothing wrong with taking some notes, as i mentioned earlier you really shouldn't be taking notes like you're in a class or taking minutes, even though that probably would be useful. that's way too much attention diverted away from the interviewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,788,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
To me it looks DUMB to take out a notepad on the 1st interview since it's all about connecting with the interviewer's personality
That settles it. People should absolutely take one to the first interview. Thanks for settling that one for us.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,031,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That settles it. People should absolutely take one to the first interview. Thanks for settling that one for us.
C'mon now this our buddy who posts on CD all day while collecting gubbermint tax dollars to help folks like us find a job. We need an oh snap emoticon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or