Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,326 times

Advertisements

This is what I do.

1. Go to a job engine (Indeed, JobAware, etc.)
2. Search for jobs in a 50 mile radius of location, sort by date.
3. Open every one in a new tab.
4. Close tabs where qualifications and responsibilities don't match me.
5. Read application instructions (email resume, apply online, company site.)
6. Research the company and position via as many resources as I have.
7. Create a Email written/PDF/.docx cover letter depending on instructions.
8. Fill out application tailored to highlight qualifications and responsibilities.
9. Submit cover letter/resume/application per company instructions.
10. Repeat for every open tab remaining.

Each day I'll check openings for towns in a 50 mile radius (~1 hour commute) for 4 locations in the event I manage to secure employment in a new town that I can easily relocate to (friends/family in area, etc.) If you spend 1 hour on each application and apply to jobs from 8AM to 10PM for a week, that's 98 in a week. If you include a few "easy" applications (i.e. retail, food service) that brings the number up higher since those applications generally don't take an hour each to fill out. Additionally, I'll take a look at places like CD, resume sites, manager/HR advice columns and try out various things to see how the responses go.

I try to be a bit more focused on my search and do 3-5 average a day, but that's because I spend probably too much time researching the position and company so I'm more prepared for an interview than the interviewer. I'm getting up to 300 applications being 3 months in, but eventually something will bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
I do read the job descriptions and qualifications carefully. I don't really tailor my resume besides adding an Objective section or a cover letter when I feel it's beneficial.

There are a lot of mathy, techy position titles, closely related:

Data Engineer
Data Analyst
Analyst Programmer
Analytics and Statistical Engineer
Scientific Programmer
Info Analyst
Software Engineer
Etcetera

I think my resume covers all the necessary bases. More often than not, all I have to submit is my name, resume and phone number, before my resume gets placed in a database that will automatically be scanned for keywords.
you should always write a cover letter. and if you're doing it right, that takes some time researching the company and customizing your letter. the resume may or may not have to be customized.

i mean, you're having trouble even getting an interview, right? so perhaps your tactics aren't working and you should try something different?

it took me a long time to get a job offer but i had literally dozens of interviews while i was job searching long distance (and a lot of HMs won't even look at non-local candidates), so i think i know what i'm talking about when it comes to application materials.

i think there's a lot of really good advice here (sorry i always link to this!): if you’re not getting interviews, read this

Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 PM

382 posts, read 664,320 times
To the OP: how is that working for you? How many jobs have you applied to today so far?? Keep us informed.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
When I'm finished, I will post back in this thread with proof.

And what is that going to accomplish??

Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I can't even manage 100 job applications in 2 weeks! I mostly send a cover letter too.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Uh...good luck?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
If you go to some job consolidation site like Indeed.com you will end up applying for ten jobs ten times.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If you go to some job consolidation site like Indeed.com you will end up applying for ten jobs ten times.

Yup because they constantly forward you the same jobs LOL

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Uh...good luck?
Yeah. This.

You will likely burn 100 prospects. Quality always beats quantity.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 PM

217 posts, read 307,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
To the OP: how is that working for you? How many jobs have you applied to today so far?? Keep us informed.
This is more difficult than I originally imagined. I've applied for 17, completely exhausting the listing on Indeed. I think that I'm gonna focus on revamping my LinkedIn page and then start applying from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search