U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,519,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Fabulous guys...I got the call with a verbal offer!

Unfortunately the offer is much lower than I expected. The recruiters, since I am working through one of those executive placement companies, already have the notes they need to begin the negotiation process though. Hopefully they can help me out, since obviously - the more money I make, the more commission they receive. I am a little disappointed because I'm going to be losing a week's vacation each year and the offer was for the same amount that I currently make. Hopefully they can help me out!
If this is the same travel-heavy job you posted about in an earlier thread, along with the slightly abrasive VO, I'd be concerned for sure. For a huge raise and a new opportunity, you can deal with some knuckleheads. For similar money, you're going to be hating the travel aspect and burned out quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM

400 posts, read 1,464,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
If this is the same travel-heavy job you posted about in an earlier thread, along with the slightly abrasive VO, I'd be concerned for sure. For a huge raise and a new opportunity, you can deal with some knuckleheads. For similar money, you're going to be hating the travel aspect and burned out quickly.
It is the same job, actually.

I am just in much more of a situation to potentially move given some of the things going on at my current job. Let's just say I have had to go to HR multiple times and they are investigating said issues.

We'll see what they can do though. They put a range on the job description of what it would pay, and they literally offered me the very bottom of their range. At this point, I have to consider other factors as well - but given I will be losing several benefits in going over there, the compensation will need to be enough to put myself going forward (one example, my current employer offers a 401k with a 4% company match, this company does not offer one at all. I will also have 1 less week of vacation each year). I don't really want to move companies at this point for a step backward or to stay the same in salary. I feel like there has to be some benefit to get me to leave, but hopefully me dealing these cards won't be too bad.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,519,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
It is the same job, actually.

I am just in much more of a situation to potentially move given some of the things going on at my current job. Let's just say I have had to go to HR multiple times and they are investigating said issues.

We'll see what they can do though. They put a range on the job description of what it would pay, and they literally offered me the very bottom of their range. At this point, I have to consider other factors as well - but given I will be losing several benefits in going over there, the compensation will need to be enough to put myself going forward (one example, my current employer offers a 401k with a 4% company match, this company does not offer one at all. I will also have 1 less week of vacation each year). I don't really want to move companies at this point for a step backward or to stay the same in salary. I feel like there has to be some benefit to get me to leave, but hopefully me dealing these cards won't be too bad.
Well, is it a sales job? Or more of a post-sale customer support thing? Is there an incentive, profit share or bonus program? What about future advancement potential?

As to the salary component:

I'd factor in the week of vacation (not a deal breaker in my book, but a point of leverage for negotiation) at 2% of annual salary

401K is a big one. If you're currently contributing enough to get the 4% match, that should be an additional 5% in salary at the new job right off the bat (4% plus tax load).

Add in the travel factor - I wouldn't consider it for anything less than 15%. It wears on you, and if there's not enough compensation for this, you'll be hating your decision in months.

Then add in the "change" factor. I wouldn't consider (even with the issues at your current job) changing positions for anything less than a 5% raise.

For me, I wouldn't consider anything less than 27% above current salary, and I don't think any of the points are unreasonable. A company that balks at this would likely be tough to deal with down the line.

I would take the current situation out of the equation, you never want to make a decision like this based on an emotional factor that may get resolved by your current employer.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or