U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM

12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times

Advertisements

It happened to me once. They made me a verbal offer and committed to an formal offer letter in two days. After a week, nothing. I called and they mentioned that they had "some type of reorganization" going on and for me to wait. Two weeks later, they told me that they hired a new VP (replacing the one that made me the original offer), and that I would need to come in again to interview with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It happened to me once. They made me a verbal offer and committed to an formal offer letter in two days. After a week, nothing. I called and they mentioned that they had "some type of reorganization" going on and for me to wait. Two weeks later, they told me that they hired a new VP (replacing the one that made me the original offer), and that I would need to come in again to interview with him.
That's a load of bull.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
seriously, that is terrible. i don't care what the deal is with the old VP, they needed to honor their promises.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM

3,275 posts, read 4,765,146 times
I have had something similar happen as well. It was for a position that I REALLY wanted, too. The told me the job was mine right in the interview. Then, they asked me to come and meet another guy at the firm. The day I went to meet him he was suddenly busy and so I met with the person who originally interviewed me again. After that, weeks went by and I heard nothing. It sucks. As it turns out, there was another candidate they wanted to hire and they were negotiating with that person while they strung me along as a backup.

Something similar happened with my current job, too. I was told the job was mine over the phone, but then a couple days later I was told I'd need to meet 2 more people instead. It was a serious pain in the ass. I did eventually get the written offer and accepted the job. Things have been okay here, but nothing spectacular. I have been working for the company for 3.5 years now though, which is the longest I've stayed in any position, actually.

I would definitely keep looking and forget about that place. If they want to hire you, they'll do it. If they are dragging their feet, there's a reason for it and there's no reason to turn other opportunities away.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I have had something similar happen as well. It was for a position that I REALLY wanted, too. The told me the job was mine right in the interview. Then, they asked me to come and meet another guy at the firm. The day I went to meet him he was suddenly busy and so I met with the person who originally interviewed me again. After that, weeks went by and I heard nothing. It sucks. As it turns out, there was another candidate they wanted to hire and they were negotiating with that person while they strung me along as a backup.
wow! it's not cool to string someone along regardless, but they didn't have to tell you you had the job in order to do that! and am i reading this right, did they not even bother to reject you (their second choice!!) once they hired this other person? that is just inexcusably rude.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM

146 posts, read 210,495 times
It could be that they were planning to hire someone based on a pending contract or new business, and that contract got delayed so the hiring person was told to hold off until it was finalized. It would have been better for them to just tell you that, but the hiring person may have been told not to for some reason.

I would just be professional and up front with them, and ask if the situation has changed. No need to act insulted or tell them off. This is too small a town. Who knows, if they like you but can't hire you at the moment, they may refer you somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM

6,071 posts, read 8,363,374 times
I wouldn't count on the job until I received a written formal offer and even then I always have my doubts until I really start. I'd move on because even if they get back to you, they've proven they don't value your time. If they are treating you this poorly before you even start imagine what it would be like to work there.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM

8 posts, read 77,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
This sounds like my situation. I "got" the job also on the day of my interview, and I really wanted it too. In fact, I chose this one over other companies who obviously wanted me more, and now I'm obviously regretting making that decision!

How did you find out they were negotiating with someone else while stringing you along? Did they ever get back to you to reject you once they hired the first choice candidate?

Anyway, I'm glad a similar situation ended up with something a bit more fruitful for you!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM

3,275 posts, read 4,765,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
wow! it's not cool to string someone along regardless, but they didn't have to tell you you had the job in order to do that! and am i reading this right, did they not even bother to reject you (their second choice!!) once they hired this other person? that is just inexcusably rude.
Actually, they did call me and let me know they went with someone else. It was 2 months later, of course.

Yeah, it was very rude and totally unnecessary for them to offer me the job. I was employed when this happened and I wasn't actively looking for another position. I applied for this one because I really wanted to work for the company and the position sounded like it would have been a perfect fit. If they had just told me they were considering other candidates I would have been fine with it and just kept on with the job I had (which is what I did anyway). Luckily I'm a skeptic and would never quit one job without a signed offer in hand for another.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 77,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
I would just be professional and up front with them, and ask if the situation has changed. No need to act insulted or tell them off. This is too small a town. Who knows, if they like you but can't hire you at the moment, they may refer you somewhere else.
Yup, that's what I did: I asked them just that and they clarified that what we discussed before was an offer. It's just confusing now because the ball's in their court and I'm left in the dark and have no clue what's happening. Super annoying but so far I haven't let my frustration slip yet, thankfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or