U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,739,905 times

Advertisements

^^ THIS. Now you live there. Different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM

874 posts, read 1,080,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Well. Looks like I'm really not wanted. Talk about a blow to my ego. The job opening has been relisted....for the second time (guess the other person didn't work out, so I can laugh a bit, right?). If they wanted me, I know they'd contact me. I'm definitely not going to embarrass myself by contacting them. Bummer though. Oh well.
I'd let it go. It doesn't have to be that you "weren't wanted" -- it could be that the company had no clue what they wanted. I've seen that a million times.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,062,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
^^ THIS. Now you live there. Different situation.
A couple of people said that to me too. Now that I'm here. But honestly, they knew when I was going to move and they know I was going to move regardless. So I'm curious why you feel it makes a difference. I have yet to hear an answer that isn't, "because you live there now".

Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
I'd let it go. It doesn't have to be that you "weren't wanted" -- it could be that the company had no clue what they wanted. I've seen that a million times.
So true. Considering this is the second time they've relisted it, I believe either the people they're hiring are lying about their skills or the people you'd be working for aren't sure what they truly want. I mean, if they thought I was so great, enough to fly me up, but then choose someone else, only to have that fall through, what does that say about their decisions.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If it were me, I'd stuff the ego back down in the cellar and call them to say you are still interested/available.
I emailed HR, asking her about one of the newest openings. We had discussed an upcoming one so I basically asked her if that was it. I also mentioned that I saw the position I had interviewed for was relisted, that I was interested, but understand if they aren't.

Who knows. Maybe I couldn't do the job. Maybe it's so horrible 2 people quit within the first two weeks. I have no clue. I left it at that, but put more emphasis on the newer opening.

ETA: Looks like they had a "few runner-ups" for that position, so it should fill soon. HR wants to discuss the other position with me. See, they definitely don't want me. (just kidding, I don't take it personally)

Last edited by psichick; 08-01-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,441,239 times
Quote:
I emailed HR, asking her about one of the newest openings. We had discussed an upcoming one so I basically asked her if that was it. I also mentioned that I saw the position I had interviewed for was relisted, that I was interested, but understand if they aren't.

ETA: Looks like they had a "few runner-ups" for that position, so it should fill soon. HR wants to discuss the other position with me. See, they definitely don't want me. (just kidding, I don't take it personally)

That's fine. I sure wouldn't want to leave any rocks unturned in my employment search.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

That's fine. I sure wouldn't want to leave any rocks unturned in my employment search.
ITA. That's why I sent the email.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
A couple of people said that to me too. Now that I'm here. But honestly, they knew when I was going to move and they know I was going to move regardless. So I'm curious why you feel it makes a difference. I have yet to hear an answer that isn't, "because you live there now".
Because they "may" have been trying to get out of relocation expenses, or maybe a miscommunication somewhere, down the line of managers to those that make the decisions, that they didn't know you were moving there anyway.

I'd throw my pride out the window and re-apply with your new address. Get back in touch with the recruiter with your new address.

Let them know you are now a local and ready to work!

Besides, it shows that you are a go-getter!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because they "may" have been trying to get out of relocation expenses, or maybe a miscommunication somewhere, down the line of managers to those that make the decisions, that they didn't know you were moving there anyway.

I'd throw my pride out the window and re-apply with your new address. Get back in touch with the recruiter with your new address.

Let them know you are now a local and ready to work!

Besides, it shows that you are a go-getter!
Thanks. I don't know if you saw my previous post, but I did email HR. She basically told me that there were "many runner-ups" for that position so it should be filled very soon and let's talk about the other position that is open. Which blatantly means I'm not one of the runner-ups for that position in any sort of way.

Oh, and I'd say they all knew when I was moving because they asked me (the people I interviewed with also). I told them, "in 1.5 weeks" and they all wished me well. So, I don't think there was a misunderstanding, just not a good fit.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Oh. Sorry about that. Sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search