U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
Reputation: 3132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
If you're going to be moving to this area, why not stay a night or two at a hotel and use the off time to check out your new city? It would have the added bonus of giving you a place to keep all your stuff so you didn't have to worry about lugging a backpack into your interview.
I would, however, I can't be away from my senior dog for more than a day. Also, I would take the extra day if I could, but since I'm moving up on July 20, I don't think I need to check out the city anymore while "visiting". I'll be a resident in 2.5 weeks. But thanks for the idea anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,723,744 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
As for the interview length, that's what I'm assuming too, but I like the idea of asking for an agenda. I think I'll go that route. Thanks for the advice!
that is definitely good advice. i always like knowing in advance who i'll be interviewing with, too. i'll read their bios on the company site if they have one, sometimes there are things there that you can bring up or use more subtly in the interview. for instance one of my interviewers at the job i just got had a previous job in an area that i have a strong interest in and a little experience with as a volunteer, and it relates to the mission of the organization as well. so i worked that interest and experience into the interview as an example of my passion for their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,723,744 times
Reputation: 4944
also i don't think a purse generally counts as a carry-on. check with the airline about that.

edit: oh but if it does, you could always put a small purse IN your backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
 
103 posts, read 251,630 times
Reputation: 65
I've traveled out of state frequently for job interviews recently. Here's what I would do. First, I would buy a cheap roll on carry on bag to travel with, as it looks way more professional than a backpack in case you do need to bring your luggage with you. You can get them at K mart or Wal Mart for cheaply. As soon as I get to the area, I would identify a place close to the interview where changing clothes and freshening up would be appropriate. A McDonald's, a Starbucks, if its in a building and the building has a public bathroom (but not the bathroom of the employer). Then I would go about my errands and plan on getting to the area in enough time to change and freshen up. I would then return my things to my rental car. If for some reason returning things to your car isn't an option AND you purchased a rolling black carry on bag, I see no problem taking that up with you to the interview and explaining you are flying out after the conclusion of the interview. At least in my field, that's done relatively frequently. They will likely let you leave it with the receptionist so you aren't toting it around with you as you go around the office or whatever it is they have planned for you.

Also, I think it's a good idea to ask for a schedule/itenerary. I always do, so I can research who I'm going to be meeting with. It's just part of good interview prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
also i don't think a purse generally counts as a carry-on. check with the airline about that.

edit: oh but if it does, you could always put a small purse IN your backpack.
Usually it's one carry-on item and a personal item. The carry on will be the garment bag. The only reason I didn't want to shove my huge ass purse into the backpack, is because all my other purses are packed away already!!! LOL. I had to open a box to dig out shoes. Dangit. Good idea, bring a smaller purse, shove that in the backpack. Time to go open another box. Shoots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound? View Post
I've traveled out of state frequently for job interviews recently. Here's what I would do. First, I would buy a cheap roll on carry on bag to travel with, as it looks way more professional than a backpack in case you do need to bring your luggage with you. You can get them at K mart or Wal Mart for cheaply. As soon as I get to the area, I would identify a place close to the interview where changing clothes and freshening up would be appropriate. A McDonald's, a Starbucks, if its in a building and the building has a public bathroom (but not the bathroom of the employer). Then I would go about my errands and plan on getting to the area in enough time to change and freshen up. I would then return my things to my rental car. If for some reason returning things to your car isn't an option AND you purchased a rolling black carry on bag, I see no problem taking that up with you to the interview and explaining you are flying out after the conclusion of the interview. At least in my field, that's done relatively frequently. They will likely let you leave it with the receptionist so you aren't toting it around with you as you go around the office or whatever it is they have planned for you.

Also, I think it's a good idea to ask for a schedule/itenerary. I always do, so I can research who I'm going to be meeting with. It's just part of good interview prep.

I was going to bring a garment bag. I have carry ons, but kinda wanted to not have to roll something. Which do you prefer? Definitely more prof than my North Face backpack.....but then again, this is Oregon, home of all that is outdoorsy. LOL. I'm kidding.

Right now, I'm scoping out department store restrooms. Some of them are big, with lounges (like Nordstroms). And worst case scenario, I need something, like a shirt, makeup, I'm good. Hahaha.

They did tell me who I'm meeting with (but just one person, not even the other dept), so I wasn't sure if it's just him, or not. I think I'll ask when they call me with my airline reservations.


Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
Reputation: 3132
I was thinking....maybe I'll just go to my apartment complex and ask to use the workout room restrooms, or their restrooms in the clubhouse. I can also relax there if I need to. It's not close to the work site, but if I change a bit early on and take my time, I can get in the car and go. Then relax again when I get there. Hopefully I won't melt. Definitely not a lot of makeup going on, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,723,744 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
They did tell me who I'm meeting with (but just one person, not even the other dept), so I wasn't sure if it's just him, or not. I think I'll ask when they call me with my airline reservations.
yeah, i had an interview once where i was told it would be with the dept hr person - but then the hiring manager came in, then they walked me around to all the professors i'd be supporting and i met with each of them individually, then the person who previously held the job stopped by (she just transferred to another job), so all in all i met with 6 people!

oh and on top of that no one but the hr person had my resume so luckily i brought a bunch of copies! i think that's the only time i needed them (i just keep the same ones in a folder just in case), but i'm glad i had them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i had an interview once where i was told it would be with the dept hr person - but then the hiring manager came in, then they walked me around to all the professors i'd be supporting and i met with each of them individually, then the person who previously held the job stopped by (she just transferred to another job), so all in all i met with 6 people!

oh and on top of that no one but the hr person had my resume so luckily i brought a bunch of copies! i think that's the only time i needed them (i just keep the same ones in a folder just in case), but i'm glad i had them!

So true!

Mental note: print out at least 7 copies of my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,720,149 times
Reputation: 41129
Talking Sounds like fun!

I always tell them I'd like to travel with an overnight stay so I can be fresh and prepared for our meeting the following day; most companies won't fault you for that.

And the company will usually pay for the rental for the day. They don't care where else you're going; it's the same price. If it's somewhere I've never been, I always go touristing, and most interviewers appreciate that you are interested enough in where you might be living to at least check out the place. It shows confidence.

If I am serious about the move to the location regardless of the position, I might have already lined up a tentative place to live, and I usually bounce the neighborhood off the interviewer too, as a conversation point. That also shows preparedness.

If you decide not to stay overnight, I know it sounds uncomfortable, but wear what you will wear to the interview. I don't carry a suit or anything to change into because it will wrinkle, and because lugging around a carry-on seems high-maintenance to me. Yes, it would be tacky to bring a backpack to an interview. You don't want to project the image that you are still a college kid.

Make sure you've worn your interview outfit very recently, and that your shoes are well broken in! There is nothing worse than limping around the airport with a painful blister. Also, pack an extra pair of hose & some small (carry-on size) deodorant, hairspray, makeup, whatever, in your purse. When you get to the airport, FIRST go find your rental car or your ground transportation counter, take care of that, THEN go to the bathroom and freshen up, then get in the air-conditioned car. Otherwise you've freshened up, only to sweat again walking around the airport.

Always negotiate for the most you can get! I was contracting for myself for the first time and I was quoting prices per page. I accidentally did the math wrong and they came back with my number and said that $220k was a little steep, could I come down a little? I about peed myself. I had meant to ask for $60k. I wound up settling for $120k, AND they flew me back home first-class! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top