U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Reputation: 4944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
That makes me nervous, but excited. Hopefully they'll like me in person and I get an offer.
don't be nervous!

don't forget that they WANT to hire you. regardless of what some people say in frustration on here, hiring is a really annoying process for most people and they just want to get it over with. my bosses would be overjoyed if they could hire the first person they interviewed for every job, cause they have a million things they'd rather be doing instead of interviewing people.

the fact that all these important people are interviewing you (and the fact that you got an interview at all, never mind that they are flying you up for it!) means they already feel very good about your application. you are going to knock it out of the park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,713 posts, read 4,089,420 times
Reputation: 6240
Psichick, what would you say was your "trick" for getting noticed? Do you feel you had an awesome cover letter or that your resume is great? I know you said the recruiter turned down the job you applied for but noticed you for another position...all your stars were in alignment!! I'm excited for you...it inspires me to get my resume going because I, too, want to relocate but need that job first before I go.

I had one out-of-state interview 3 years ago, just before I got my current job, and I didn't get it. There were many factors so it's hard to know why precisely they didn't choose me, but I've always said a major part was that I wasn't in town already. I'm anxious to know your outcome and wish you the best of luck. From all your posts, I think you'll do great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times
Reputation: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
don't be nervous!

don't forget that they WANT to hire you. regardless of what some people say in frustration on here, hiring is a really annoying process for most people and they just want to get it over with. my bosses would be overjoyed if they could hire the first person they interviewed for every job, cause they have a million things they'd rather be doing instead of interviewing people.

the fact that all these important people are interviewing you (and the fact that you got an interview at all, never mind that they are flying you up for it!) means they already feel very good about your application. you are going to knock it out of the park!
Thanks. Granted. I just got my suit back from the tailor's. My sleeves are too short. OMG, I have got to ignore that tomorrow otherwise I'm going to fidget with it constantly. Maybe they won't mind if I take it off. LOL. It is hot up there.

Thanks for the support. Really. I am trying not to be nervous, can't help it. I had a Skype interview today (my first one ever) and I was shaking afterwards. LOL. I hate these things. (crazier thing, they said they're going to make a decision by the end of the week, 20 min interview and they'll choose from that? crazy).

Honestly, I think if I'm just myself and professional all in one, I'll be fine. Barring a major personality difference with someone, I'm hoping for an offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times
Reputation: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Psichick, what would you say was your "trick" for getting noticed? Do you feel you had an awesome cover letter or that your resume is great? I know you said the recruiter turned down the job you applied for but noticed you for another position...all your stars were in alignment!! I'm excited for you...it inspires me to get my resume going because I, too, want to relocate but need that job first before I go.

I had one out-of-state interview 3 years ago, just before I got my current job, and I didn't get it. There were many factors so it's hard to know why precisely they didn't choose me, but I've always said a major part was that I wasn't in town already. I'm anxious to know your outcome and wish you the best of luck. From all your posts, I think you'll do great.
Honestly, I have no idea. I mean, I'm out of state and they seem to really want me. I'm just as shocked as the next person. I went to look at my cover letter. It wasn't really a cover letter per se. It was actually a cut/paste of my Professional Summary off of my resume. And I added that I'll be moving to OR in mid-July and don't require relocation expenses. Obviously I didn't put a lot of thought/effort into it.

The recruiter said if I don't get this position, there's one more that was opening up that she'd like me for too. Got me. The recruiter seems to really like me. But then I worry, why are all the Exec Assistant leaving? LOL. Maybe I should ask her out.

I think the thing that people are really liking me is because of my background. I have over 10 years experience and I have a lot of computer background and literally am a jack-of-all-trades. Which is perfect for an admin job. Even the place I interviewed at today told me that I could end up doing everything from update the website, to ordering food, to updating the records management database. Who knows. And with my background, they can see that I'm not really scared to touch anything computer related (some people can't pick up new software very fast and some just never get it). I'm pretty darn good at almost anything you throw at me.

I'm just grateful for two interviews considering I only really applied to 4 jobs so far (10 total if you count the 6 at Nike, but I know that place is really hard to get into). Funny, the one job I put a lot of time and effort into a cover letter and the sorts, I never heard from. And that job, I think I would have been perfect for. LOL. There's just no knowing who will like me and who won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,077,690 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks. Granted. I just got my suit back from the tailor's. My sleeves are too short. OMG, I have got to ignore that tomorrow otherwise I'm going to fidget with it constantly. Maybe they won't mind if I take it off. LOL. It is hot up there.

Thanks for the support. Really. I am trying not to be nervous, can't help it. I had a Skype interview today (my first one ever) and I was shaking afterwards. LOL. I hate these things. (crazier thing, they said they're going to make a decision by the end of the week, 20 min interview and they'll choose from that? crazy).

Honestly, I think if I'm just myself and professional all in one, I'll be fine. Barring a major personality difference with someone, I'm hoping for an offer.
#1 stop shaking/sweating/going nuts. You're clearly a hot commodity to these companies. Own it! And your short sleeves.

Umm... red flag. Red flag. Red flag. My worst job in HISTORY was based off a short skype interview. Please don't accept an offer without meeting them in person and seeing everything, no matter how good it seems.

This. Rock on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: PHL
287 posts, read 547,989 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
#1 stop shaking/sweating/going nuts. You're clearly a hot commodity to these companies. Own it! And your short sleeves.

Umm... red flag. Red flag. Red flag. My worst job in HISTORY was based off a short skype interview. Please don't accept an offer without meeting them in person and seeing everything, no matter how good it seems.

This. Rock on.
Just carious, what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times
Reputation: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
#1 stop shaking/sweating/going nuts. You're clearly a hot commodity to these companies. Own it! And your short sleeves.

Umm... red flag. Red flag. Red flag. My worst job in HISTORY was based off a short skype interview. Please don't accept an offer without meeting them in person and seeing everything, no matter how good it seems.

This. Rock on.
I know, I know. I can't help it though. Hey, I'm selling myself.

As for the skype interview. Actually, the HR lady said they were going to bust out a lot of interviews today. They had 12. So they were going to keep them to 20-25 mins tops. I already knew that going in. They asked me some situational questions and some general ones. It just moved fast. So, I'm not going to say red flag, to that. But to hiring someone off of a 20 min interview? Unless they meant they'll let us know for the next round (that would make more sense), but it didn't sound that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,713 posts, read 4,089,420 times
Reputation: 6240
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Honestly, I have no idea. I mean, I'm out of state and they seem to really want me. I'm just as shocked as the next person. I went to look at my cover letter. It wasn't really a cover letter per se. It was actually a cut/paste of my Professional Summary off of my resume. And I added that I'll be moving to OR in mid-July and don't require relocation expenses. Obviously I didn't put a lot of thought/effort into it.

The recruiter said if I don't get this position, there's one more that was opening up that she'd like me for too. Got me. The recruiter seems to really like me. But then I worry, why are all the Exec Assistant leaving? LOL. Maybe I should ask her out.

I think the thing that people are really liking me is because of my background. I have over 10 years experience and I have a lot of computer background and literally am a jack-of-all-trades. Which is perfect for an admin job. Even the place I interviewed at today told me that I could end up doing everything from update the website, to ordering food, to updating the records management database. Who knows. And with my background, they can see that I'm not really scared to touch anything computer related (some people can't pick up new software very fast and some just never get it). I'm pretty darn good at almost anything you throw at me.

I'm just grateful for two interviews considering I only really applied to 4 jobs so far (10 total if you count the 6 at Nike, but I know that place is really hard to get into). Funny, the one job I put a lot of time and effort into a cover letter and the sorts, I never heard from. And that job, I think I would have been perfect for. LOL. There's just no knowing who will like me and who won't.
Funny how it works sometimes! Being skilled and confident...well, that's clearly your strong suit and that rocks!! I do believe that even if we want that particular job really bad and we don't get it, there is a reason why. It may present itself at a later time, but I do believe that. AND conversely, when we're meant to have it, we get it. I don't always understand the struggle we often have, but it is what it is.

I think you'll do great...you're prepared and they like you up front. ALL good news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,655 posts, read 3,047,705 times
Reputation: 3092
Really quick update. First, I am sooooo tired. Up at 4am and it's now 11pm and I just unpacked. Ugh!

The suitcase worked well with the suiter (carry-on). I ran all my errands in my street clothes. Then changed at my apartment complex. Not a lot of counter space or places to put my stuff, so I made short of it. Because it was getting warm, I just put on a tinted moisturizer and powder. My eyeliner is tattooed on so no mess there! Yay! Just how I like it. Thankfully, it was NOT the originally predicted 90+ degrees. By Noon, it was high 70s with a nice breeze. I was early, so I hung out at Target for a bit.

I didn't get to meet everyone because one woman was tied up, however, I met everyone else. I honestly think I am a good fit for the place. I really really really liked everyone. They're very casual/laid back, but obviously professional. I asked everyone how they liked their job, what they honestly thought of the company and what they're doing, if they want to see it go in a new direction. Everyone said they absolutely loved their job (could be smoke) and they loved where the company is going. That is the biggest thing I loved too about the company. What they're doing creates so much passion among the ranks.

If I get this job, I know I'll be busy and will have to stay on top of things, but then again, isn't that what an EA does? I think I really did well with the other EA's. They'd ask me questions and when I answered, I was usually answering another question they had later. So yay. And they seemed to really like my answers.

In the end though, they wanted to be sure I fit into their culture. I think I do, but you never know. HR assistant said I would probably hear something by the end of the week. Thankfully they dress casual, because if I'm not going to have clothes for up to 10 days when I move next weekend, I can at least make some cheaper purchases (can't fit 10 days of formal wear in my car).

It truly was a 3 hour interview. The hardest part was answering why I left my previous job (especially since I didn't have one lined up). I tried not to put down my supervisor, but yet, needed to be honest about their actions and how it played a part in me leaving. Hopefully, they aren't like that as supervisors. I think what is great about the people I met....they were all very passionate about their job. And from what I'm feeling, a lot of them feel that way.

Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Reputation: 41119
Fingers crossed for you too!!! Sounds like it went well. I sure hope you get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top