U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM

503 posts, read 1,032,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
What if you only have a degree and low-end retail and fast food experience?
Then it's mostly useless unless you're good at fluffing things up and making it sound like you had important work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 AM

287 posts, read 547,989 times
Umm try to fluff it up to something which is relevant to the position..... People are going to disagree with that but this is business.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Define "legit." Did you know that linkedin is FAR MORE effective at reaching HR Directors, Management Recruiters, Talent Managers, and other higher ups that "traditional job searching methods." You are able to send them direct emails as well as connect to their network. Did you realize that a lot of job boards now link you up to the hiring manager through linkedin? If you have a profile on linkedin with a lot of positive endorsements, you will be noticed much quicker and will have a lot hiring managers and or recruiters reaching out to you.
I was going off of the OP's implied definition. Traditional job searching methods still trump LinkedIn even today. Who you know, statistically, improves your chances of landing a job. Traditional methods like networking with acquaintances, country club members, church members, etc is always going to beat out cold methods such as LinkedIn and job listings.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Guess it depends on your field because linkedin never helped me find a job. I still use it now that I am employed for increasing my network

Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,128,818 times
I joined LinkedIn as a favor to a friend some years ago (she was going it on her own as a consultant and was trying to build a network) and have been quite surprised to find that it can be a very effective job-search tool, as well as a gold-mine for locating potential candidates for open positions. I've been contacted via LinkedIn out of the blue by recruiters on multiple occasions, and I've also connected with former colleagues to let them know about open positions that I think they'd be well suited for.

To the person who asked about using LinkedIn if you are in the early stages of your career and lack professional experience, I'd comment that a LinkedIn profile offers much more potential for emphasizing your non-traditional experience than a typical resume does. My younger kid used that to very good effect, as it enabled him to list the Housing Director position he had with his fraternity (a non-paid volunteer gig that nonetheless gave him management and supervisory experience). My elder kid includes the department-head position with a volunteer organization that she held for a number of years in her profile. In both cases, that experience had a direct impact on their success in landing the professional jobs they now hold.

On the other hand, some prudence and mindfulness in what and how you post there is a really good idea. If you are a low-level clerical worker, don't describe yourself as the president of the company on your LinkedIn profile. And if your current employer has policies limiting what kind of second jobs you can hold, it's not a good idea to tell the LinkedIn world that you are also operating a sole proprietorship that creates a direct conflict of interests with your employment. I've seen co-workers - or in one case, a former co-worker - make both mistakes on their LinkedIn profiles, and it never brings them the outcome they hope for.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,918,365 times
Be careful of the changing dynamics of jobs. I was a con-w2 for many years working as a software developer out of a shop. If you want to stay con-w2 it pays to move around to other shops. I stayed with the same recruiter for years and he started reducing my rates on every new contract starting in 2010. The next one was about to be 20% lower than the one in 2010. But I knew that what the shop charged the client did NOT go down. Went up. I only hung on because I bought staffing company stock, which was doing well (and is doing well). I'm going direct for a few years. Got a good person to work for. But after that I'm going to solely do 1099.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM

803 posts, read 1,371,027 times
I've been contacted by a few recruiters on there, but they were obviously mass-messaging using keywords instead of taking the time to find qualified candidates.

Most of the job listings in my field that I see on there have received 100's of clicks/applications.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM

218 posts, read 247,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I've been contacted by a few recruiters on there, but they were obviously mass-messaging using keywords instead of taking the time to find qualified candidates.
Shoot. I can't tell whether I'm being mass-messaged.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
can you post one of the messages you got, with any identifying info removed? people here can probably spot the signs.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,876,916 times
If you know anybody who's in the same or similar line of work as you, and also on LinkedIn, go ahead and check out their profile to see what kind of stuff they put in there. Gives you a nice idea of what to do. 2 LinkedIn tips I will say is:
1) Put up a photo of yourself. Make it "professional enough", meaning the background shouldn't be at the beach. Your portrait should show your eyes, and your demeanor should have energy and willingness to work
2) change your custom URL to your name. This is to make it easier for folks to remember, but also increases the chances of your profile showing up in search engines. For example (illustrative, these aren't actual LIn profiles AFAIK)
www.linkedin.com/john.crosco
vs.
www.linkedin.com/1239sfkkl;3as some random string of numbers and letters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search