U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,893,607 times

Advertisements

If you know anybody who's in the same or similar line of work as you, and also on LinkedIn, go ahead and check out their profile to see what kind of stuff they put in there. Gives you a nice idea of what to do. 2 LinkedIn tips I will say is:
1) Put up a photo of yourself. Make it "professional enough", meaning the background shouldn't be at the beach. Your portrait should show your eyes, and your demeanor should have energy and willingness to work
2) change your custom URL to your name. This is to make it easier for folks to remember, but also increases the chances of your profile showing up in search engines. For example (illustrative, these aren't actual LIn profiles AFAIK)
www.linkedin.com/john.crosco
vs.
www.linkedin.com/1239sfkkl;3as some random string of numbers and letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,484,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
I revamped my profile, applied for a few software positions, cover letters included, and I've already gotten back some personalized responses from HR people who actually work at the companies (as opposed to some outsourced technology recruiter at a consulting firm in another state). This is encouraging.
We don't know if you have heavily in demand skills which would draw interest no matter what means you chose to market yourself.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
We don't know if you have heavily in demand skills which would draw interest no matter what means you chose to market yourself.

It was said some years back that Linkedin works for those people who have a IT and Sales background

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,492,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Can I suggest you think about it differently? It's not about one method trumping another; it's about having a complementary tool in your belt for increased networking.

You know that next company you are targeting? Well your friend at the church doesn't work for them, but you can see from Linked In that he/she may know someone who does and now you know to ask your church friend for an introduction or some additional information you wouldn't have known to ask for without LI.

Yes, it would be great if we knew everybody, but Linked In is a great way to connect some of the dots, and you know what? Recruiters and staffing professionals connect with pretty much anybody who asks, primarily because it increases their search capability, but it opens things up for you as well.
That's why I said it's more legit than cold applications. LinkedIn is a great tool if for some unusual reason, you can't make a connection through your network.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 PM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
I've had a job seeker premium account and a fully fleshed out profile for about a month and just lost my job last week. I have applied for some jobs as a "featured applicant" and gotten call backs I believe I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, but they've been from recruiters, not actual firms. However, I think a lot of this is due to the industry (IT) being heavily reliant on outsourcing and not against LinkedIn specifically.

I don't think the premium service has increased my profile visibility at all. The hits I'm getting are from either people I've viewed or who already know me.

Many groups don't seem to be very active, especially ones based on geography, unless you are in a very large metro. I joined a group for Indianapolis and it's slow moving and doesn't look very helpful, even though it has thousands of members.

Another thing is I'm unsure of is proper etiquette on the service. If you view someone, should you attempt to contact them if you feel you have mutual interests or could some way benefit from a relationship? I viewed the profiles of some senior management at a local hospital chain and they viewed me back. If I were to find a manager or HR representative for a department/firm I may apply at, do I use my InMail to contact them directly, add them, or do nothing? The line between normal networking and coming across as desperate/stalkerish is blurred on the service to me.

Most of my connections are not that active on the service. In order to get the most out of the service, you need active connections or enough connections to make up for the inactivity of most users.

I also find it difficult to make connections with people of similar career interests. Ideally I'd like to network with people in my industry in areas I'm interested in, but LinkedIn can penalize you if you send out to many "friend" invitations and the people respond "I don't know you." I can see blocking repeated connection attempts, but the prospect of a penalty for making initial connections sucks.

LinkedIn is useful but limited and certainly has a lot more potential than is being realized IMO.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,872,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
I revamped my profile, applied for a few software positions, cover letters included, and I've already gotten back some personalized responses from HR people who actually work at the companies (as opposed to some outsourced technology recruiter at a consulting firm in another state). This is encouraging.

Its great for professionals, especially if you use it. Make sure you get involved with as many groups as you can as often jobs are posted there and no where else. Also contribute, the better known you are in the forums you read, the more people will look at your profile and get to know you. Lastly, I'd strongly encourage you to upgrade to that paid status for several reasons, but mostly for inmails. With inmails you can reach out and connect dirtectly with HR recruiters and hiring managers. this helps you build your network with meaningful decision makers. Without the paid upgrade you cant do this nearly as well.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM

371 posts, read 621,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's why I said it's more legit than cold applications. LinkedIn is a great tool if for some unusual reason, you can't make a connection through your network.
I'm glad you don't seem to need it, but you attitude/tone still puzzles me. First, the reason isn't unusual at all. In fact, Linked In probably makes it more efficient. Second, if you utilize Linked in AS your network, not just a backup to your network, you'll have more possibilities.

Again, I am happy that you have a strong network and immediately know how the people you know are connected to the rest of the world. For the rest of us, having a free and easy to use tool helps, if you know how to use it.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,451,556 times
For those of you who say it works, do you have a common name? If I put my first and last name in a google search, I'm the only one in the US with my name. In fact, seems like theres only one other person in the world in Germany with my first and last name.

I wouldn't want any random person (little paranoid, I know) to be able to view my life and info if they did a google search.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,051,030 times
LinkedIn just gives random agents a license to email you and let you know their unknown company from out of state heard of an opening somewhere, often in my own group LOL
There are plenty types of agents, the annoying ones are the 'brokers' ... they sell you to other bigger agencies or a get a cut from your pay. another is the resume horder type. they even talk professional and buy you lunch just to get a copy

Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
For those of you who say it works, do you have a common name? If I put my first and last name in a google search, I'm the only one in the US with my name. In fact, seems like theres only one other person in the world in Germany with my first and last name.

I wouldn't want any random person (little paranoid, I know) to be able to view my life and info if they did a google search.
Linkedin has a way of make your profile unsearchable so your information won't show if you put in the google search box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search