Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM

217 posts, read 306,241 times

Advertisements

I revamped my profile, applied for a few software positions, cover letters included, and I've already gotten back some personalized responses from HR people who actually work at the companies (as opposed to some outsourced technology recruiter at a consulting firm in another state). This is encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
I'm not certain how legit... but it's certainly more legit than cold applications through job sites. It's probably nowhere near as legit as traditional job searching methods.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 PM

26 posts, read 69,133 times
Did you apply via linked in? Is that how you know your profile update worked? I ask because I am working on my profile this weekend.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,399,125 times
Post on dice dot com too. Dice and linkedin are my two favs for openings.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,622,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not certain how legit... but it's certainly more legit than cold applications through job sites. It's probably nowhere near as legit as traditional job searching methods.
what traditional job searching methods are you referring to? job searching on linkedin isn't any different from any other online job sites, which are fundmentally not too different from newspaper job listings or whatever.

OP, i'm glad linkedin seems to be working for you! i never tried applying for jobs there but i did notice that quite a few potential employers looked at my profile after i applied other places. it was a good heads up that i'd be hearing from them soon.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
what traditional job searching methods are you referring to? job searching on linkedin isn't any different from any other online job sites, which are fundmentally not too different from newspaper job listings or whatever.

OP, i'm glad linkedin seems to be working for you! i never tried applying for jobs there but i did notice that quite a few potential employers looked at my profile after i applied other places. it was a good heads up that i'd be hearing from them soon.
Traditional job searching methods such as networking. LinkedIn is a form of networking.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM

459 posts, read 1,739,443 times
I got my new job from a recruiter reaching out to me on LinkedIn.

Hope that is encouraging as well..heh

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,399,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

What I really like about linkedin is many smaller companies I can apply on LI with just a resume and phone number whoa can someone say streamlined process

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM

217 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0023 View Post
Did you apply via linked in? Is that how you know your profile update worked? I ask because I am working on my profile this weekend.
Yea, apply via LinkedIn if possible. You'll have the option to attach a cover letter --- do it.

Some companies listing on LinkedIn make you go to their website. Still cool because their exist a lot of jobs on LinkedIn that I don't make it to Indeed or SimplyHired. You'll notice that LinkedIn also shows you how many people have applied to a position, so you can sometimes strike a goldmine if you see one to which only a couple people have applied so far.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,063,220 times
Linkedin is definitely legit. It works both ways. I have tried to recruit former co-workers to join me at my company. While they are great employees, they are not personal friends that would make the Facebook network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search