U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
13,338 posts, read 25,358,117 times
Reputation: 8118

Advertisements

The locally owned companies seem to the best to work. Being local, they'll often have community connections, whereas the chain companies have to go out marketing for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM
 
2,609 posts, read 3,851,393 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I worked in the staffing industry for seven years (clerical/professional placement and marketing). Some staffing companies are better than others. I was fortunate to work with a very good one that has an excellent reputation in most markets.

Go to a staffing company that has a good reputation in the field you're interested in. For example, some staffing companies specialize in industrial placement. Some specialize in clerical or medical office placement. Some specialize in professional placement. A good way to gauge their "specialty" is to look around the waiting room at the various applicants to get a feel for the quality of workers they attract.

Another way to gauge this is to read the ads for the positions they're offering.

Dress very professionally when you interview. This alone will make you stand out, since for some weird reason, many people don't dress professionally when they're interviewing with a staffing company - as if it's not a "real" interview.

STAY IN TOUCH WITH THE PERSON WHO INTERVIEWS YOU at the staffing company. This is THE most important piece of advice I can give you. Often these people interview 8-10 people per day. Somewhere along the way, they are going to tell you to "call in" regularly, but for some reason people interviewing often miss this cue. They think that once they've interviewed and turned in their app/resume they are at the forefront of the company's mind. NOT TRUE. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call or email your interviewer several times a week to remind them, "I'm ready and eager to go to work - SEND ME, SEND ME!"
I worked as a staffing manager as well, this is great advice. So many people walked into our agency dressed in jeans and t-shirts, sometimes they even smelled like they hadn't showered in awhile. It was awful. If you go in dressed professionally you will automatically have a leg up!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM
 
2,609 posts, read 3,851,393 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The locally owned companies seem to the best to work. Being local, they'll often have community connections, whereas the chain companies have to go out marketing for work.
I worked for a chain, we had more positions than the local companies. We also offered benefits and had more direct hire positions. It was because we had contracts with the national companies who would need us to hire thousands of people per year. Our location alone needed a couple hundred employees for just one contract each year. Local companies tend to attract local businesses who don't have as high of a demand for employees.

We all had work, however the company I worked for would have several hundred open positions at any given time for our area whereas our competition would have 20-30 open positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Generally, how difficult is it to find work with staffing agencies?


Is it something in which you can get work almost immediately after submitting an application?

What have your experiences with staffing agencies been like? And what advice would you give to someone looking to work for one?

If you have experience in a position they are trying to fill, it's not hard at all. If that is the case then they normally are emailing and calling you instead of the other way around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What type of work?

In many cases, it can be quite easy. They seem to care about one thing above all else... How cheap is your time?

exactly that's why I said the only people who should use temp agencies are

recent college grads who live at home
unemployed people no longer receiving UC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 PM
 
162 posts, read 300,255 times
Reputation: 166
I got my current gig through a staffing agency. However, they were more of a middle man between the company and applicants. They took care of all the paperwork, company never did anything lol.

+1 to the no jeans thing. People complain they can't find a job then show up in jeans lulz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,164 posts, read 36,370,190 times
Reputation: 63960
I worked for an international staffing company that was structured as locally owned franchises. I started as a clerical/professional placement staffing consultant and over the course of seven years worked in industrial placement as well as sales, and when I left after seven years I was the sales manager. The office I worked for was in a town of about 150,000 people and when I left we were ranked #2 out of over 600 offices in the company. In the course of those years, I also got to know other staffing companies - chains as well as independently owned and operated and everything in between - very well (I prefer friendly competition over cut throat any day!). So I have a pretty indepth knowledge of the field.

We were a very busy office and our waiting room was ALWAYS filled with applicants. It was common for us to have well over 100 job openings locally, as well as hundreds of locally owned companies who would welcome a call from us if we had an applicant come in that we felt would fit their company well - even if they didn't have an open job order with us at the time. We had about 8 full time staffing consultants usually - one or two at the strictly professional level, two or three at the clerical/medical office level, and three or four at the industrial level (including highly skilled industrial).

The office was very busy, all the time. I'd say that if you're interviewing at a staffing company, be sure you look for this trait - things need to be HOPPING.

I can't stress enough the importance of dressing professionally to interview. You MUST treat the interview at the staffing company just as seriously as the interview at a hiring company.

When you interview at a staffing company, it's as if you just interviewed with 20 companies at one time. Treat that interview very professionally.

Then FOLLOW UP. DO NOT "wait for them to call you." Touch base often - several times a week, FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Call them or email the person who interviewed you till they either get you a job or tell you to stop calling! Like I said earlier, this was the most common mistake I saw people make when they interviewed. If you are interviewing with a successful staffing company (and isn't that the type you want to use?), then they are busy, busy, busy. They may interview ten more people that day. YOU want to be the one they remember clearly, and the best way to accomplish that is to make a very professional impression, and then to follow up consistently. This shows initiative on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I worked for an international staffing company that was structured as locally owned franchises. I started as a clerical/professional placement staffing consultant and over the course of seven years worked in industrial placement as well as sales, and when I left after seven years I was the sales manager. The office I worked for was in a town of about 150,000 people and when I left we were ranked #2 out of over 600 offices in the company. In the course of those years, I also got to know other staffing companies - chains as well as independently owned and operated and everything in between - very well (I prefer friendly competition over cut throat any day!). So I have a pretty indepth knowledge of the field.

We were a very busy office and our waiting room was ALWAYS filled with applicants. It was common for us to have well over 100 job openings locally, as well as hundreds of locally owned companies who would welcome a call from us if we had an applicant come in that we felt would fit their company well - even if they didn't have an open job order with us at the time. We had about 8 full time staffing consultants usually - one or two at the strictly professional level, two or three at the clerical/medical office level, and three or four at the industrial level (including highly skilled industrial).

The office was very busy, all the time. I'd say that if you're interviewing at a staffing company, be sure you look for this trait - things need to be HOPPING.

I can't stress enough the importance of dressing professionally to interview. You MUST treat the interview at the staffing company just as seriously as the interview at a hiring company.

When you interview at a staffing company, it's as if you just interviewed with 20 companies at one time. Treat that interview very professionally.

Then FOLLOW UP. DO NOT "wait for them to call you." Touch base often - several times a week, FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Call them or email the person who interviewed you till they either get you a job or tell you to stop calling! Like I said earlier, this was the most common mistake I saw people make when they interviewed. If you are interviewing with a successful staffing company (and isn't that the type you want to use?), then they are busy, busy, busy. They may interview ten more people that day. YOU want to be the one they remember clearly, and the best way to accomplish that is to make a very professional impression, and then to follow up consistently. This shows initiative on your part.


If you are a good match for what they have then you won't need to always call them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: PHL
288 posts, read 549,129 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If you are a good match for what they have then you won't need to always call them
You're an employment counselor right? Wow. Try dealing with staffing agencies these days. Not calling them equals to never getting any callbacks from them. I literally have to call or email them all of the times! I do not care if I annoy them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
You're an employment counselor right? Wow. Try dealing with staffing agencies these days. Not calling them equals to never getting any callbacks from them. I literally have to call or email them all of the times! I do not care if I annoy them

I received a call from a recruiter last week saying she is looking for a security guard. I still have a stack of guys who have not been placed yet and they always call me to say......"You have anything"

My answer is always NO because the things that I get in they don't qualify for but if they did I would be calling and leaving messages so I can hurry up and fill that opening so I can increase my placements numbers


And that's how the staffing agencies work too, if they don't have anything fitting your background then you won't hear from them. And I believe they have your information on file to see if your experience matches any new job that comes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top