Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times

Advertisements

Generally, how difficult is it to find work with staffing agencies?

Is it something in which you can get work almost immediately after submitting an application?

What have your experiences with staffing agencies been like? And what advice would you give to someone looking to work for one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
What type of work?

In many cases, it can be quite easy. They seem to care about one thing above all else... How cheap is your time?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times
I've heard that most of them these days are flooded with poorly qualified applicants who will take any job for minimum wage, so it's hard to get results unless you stand out. For example, somebody who has a useless degree and hasn't held a long-term job will be ignored whereas somebody with steady work history and impressive credentials will get placed fast.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
My experience with them (which was about 15 years ago) was that they'd have work for you pretty quickly, possibly even sending you to a job the next day, but they'd often misrepresent the job & duties. If you can stick it out through the first few lousy assignments they give you, though, it gets better and you can work towards better assignments.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I worked in the staffing industry for seven years (clerical/professional placement and marketing). Some staffing companies are better than others. I was fortunate to work with a very good one that has an excellent reputation in most markets.

Go to a staffing company that has a good reputation in the field you're interested in. For example, some staffing companies specialize in industrial placement. Some specialize in clerical or medical office placement. Some specialize in professional placement. A good way to gauge their "specialty" is to look around the waiting room at the various applicants to get a feel for the quality of workers they attract.

Another way to gauge this is to read the ads for the positions they're offering.

Dress very professionally when you interview. This alone will make you stand out, since for some weird reason, many people don't dress professionally when they're interviewing with a staffing company - as if it's not a "real" interview.

STAY IN TOUCH WITH THE PERSON WHO INTERVIEWS YOU at the staffing company. This is THE most important piece of advice I can give you. Often these people interview 8-10 people per day. Somewhere along the way, they are going to tell you to "call in" regularly, but for some reason people interviewing often miss this cue. They think that once they've interviewed and turned in their app/resume they are at the forefront of the company's mind. NOT TRUE. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call or email your interviewer several times a week to remind them, "I'm ready and eager to go to work - SEND ME, SEND ME!"

Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
If it's a temp to hire position, then make damn sure that the "temp time" status is clearly defined.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
If it's a temp to hire position, then make damn sure that the "temp time" status is clearly defined.

So true. I've had a lot of experience with staffing agencies over a 32 year period, both good and bad. I've had a couple of assignments which were temp to permanent, and I was hired within the allotted time. Others where I was just strung along with empty promises of being hired and then unceremoniously let go when the project was over. Lately, now that I'd just be interested in very short term temporary assignments, there aren't any. I work for a school district and am off for 12 weeks during the summer and wanted such work during my time off, like filling in for employees' vacations. Customers don't seem to want you unless you can give long term or indefinite availability.

One place they sent me to interview was the local county career center (where they "assist" people who are unemployed). The staffing agency tested me throughly, then sent the results to the career center, where I then went to interview. It went very well, but they were very ambiguous about the length of the assignment, the hours per week (they said anywhere from 0 to 32), and they couldn't even descrobe the duties or when it was to start. Hint: the position was to be funded by the Obama stimulus. No, I did NOT make a face or roll my eyes when they told me that.

I got home, and there was a message that the career center wanted me in the next day to test. Okay, I went in, and they administered me almost the EXACT SAME TEST that the staffing agency had. The job never materialized anyway. I guess the Obama stimulus didn't come through with the funding.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:55 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Yea, Skeff. ..these gov't career centers e.g., Workforce, Goodwill, all of them...they just test you, do all the crazy paperwork and then you never get ANY job via them. They play the "let's fill that quota" game. That's why they string you along. They get paid to B.S. with us but we waste time and money..and get our hopes up for nothing.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Some privately owned staffing companies are good at placement. Look at reviews, and go interview THEM.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I've heard that most of them these days are flooded with poorly qualified applicants who will take any job for minimum wage, so it's hard to get results unless you stand out. For example, somebody who has a useless degree and hasn't held a long-term job will be ignored whereas somebody with steady work history and impressive credentials will get placed fast.
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search