U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,080,172 times

Advertisements

I just had a situation like this but with three offers. Let them both know you have a competing job/offer; this will make them value you more (just like with dating, you seem more in demand, hard to get... you get it) They'll up their game.

If Job 1 makes an offer before 2, ask for a few days to think about it and/or what timeframe you have to get back to them within. You can position this very respectfully without burning bridges, eg. "I'm very interested in this role but would appreciate some time to think about it / make sure I make the best decision." That will buy you enough time for #2, who should now be fired up to get interviewing done with and (hopefully) make you an offer. Then you get to decide.

Most importantly, congratulations on two promising job offers! It ain't over til the fat lady sings (offer), but I know how good it feels to at least be close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,062,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
I just had a situation like this but with three offers. Let them both know you have a competing job/offer; this will make them value you more (just like with dating, you seem more in demand, hard to get... you get it) They'll up their game.

If Job 1 makes an offer before 2, ask for a few days to think about it and/or what timeframe you have to get back to them within. You can position this very respectfully without burning bridges, eg. "I'm very interested in this role but would appreciate some time to think about it / make sure I make the best decision." That will buy you enough time for #2, who should now be fired up to get interviewing done with and (hopefully) make you an offer. Then you get to decide.

Most importantly, congratulations on two promising job offers! It ain't over til the fat lady sings (offer), but I know how good it feels to at least be close.
Oh man. 3 offers? Not sure I want to deal with that stress. That had to be one long pro/con list. But still, a good position to be in, right?

I don't even know if a second offer is coming, I was just thinking about it and stressing over the money. I've been struggling for so long, it'll be nice for some relief. After talking with HR for Job 2, I doubt an offer would come soon. First interview is going to be a whopping 20-25 mins. Yeah. They're just doing basic screening at this point. I'm sure there's at least 2-3 more interviews in that one. Yikes.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Oh man. 3 offers? Not sure I want to deal with that stress. That had to be one long pro/con list. But still, a good position to be in, right?

I don't even know if a second offer is coming, I was just thinking about it and stressing over the money. I've been struggling for so long, it'll be nice for some relief. After talking with HR for Job 2, I doubt an offer would come soon. First interview is going to be a whopping 20-25 mins. Yeah. They're just doing basic screening at this point. I'm sure there's at least 2-3 more interviews in that one. Yikes.
It's a "good problem" to have, but my mind was as blown as you can imagine; I had waltzed out of grad school into a year of unemployment, then moved and got multiple offers. Like you, the job I was pulling for was the one that took longest to interview, but they moved at a rapid clip once I explained the situation.

As for what you described above, I hate to be a negative nancy (since it seems you're gunning for the slow-poke job), but if you really want to make the move - and things click on your visit - I might recommend just going for job 1. There's always the possibility of finding an even better "#2" once you've moved, if you really feel like 1 isn't fulfilling you financially and otherwise.

Have you done some research online for your position? If salary calculators show pay more consistent with #2's range, present that to 1 in your negotiations.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It's a "good problem" to have, but my mind was as blown as you can imagine; I had waltzed out of grad school into a year of unemployment, then moved and got multiple offers. Like you, the job I was pulling for was the one that took longest to interview, but they moved at a rapid clip once I explained the situation.

As for what you described above, I hate to be a negative nancy (since it seems you're gunning for the slow-poke job), but if you really want to make the move - and things click on your visit - I might recommend just going for job 1. There's always the possibility of finding an even better "#2" once you've moved, if you really feel like 1 isn't fulfilling you financially and otherwise.

Have you done some research online for your position? If salary calculators show pay more consistent with #2's range, present that to 1 in your negotiations.
Actually, I'm not really gunning for Job 2. It was the pay that enticed me. However, I talked to my friend today and we decided that Job 1 would be better in the long run. Why? Job 2 has a higher salary range, HOWEVER, it's gov't (me and friend both work for gov't) and that means the range is the range is the range. Once you're topped out, you're topped out. You can't go higher, period (unless you get a job reclassification or promotion). With Job 1, the employer is a HUGE private company. That also means most likely, there really isn't a cap (not always, but usually). So we think the range I was given, is probably a "starting" range. The stuff you can offer someone depending on their experience. I'm going to verify that if/when we talk salary negotiations.

I've already decided that if Job 1 makes an offer and Job 2 seems to like me, I'll let them know I got an offer and see what happens. If they can't do much, which being govt, they may not, then I'll happily take Job 1. I really like the dept I'd be working in, their pet bene's (I can bring my dog to work? Awesome!), and being a big corp, I'm going to assume they offer full, paid bene's. I could be wrong.

So, not really going for one or the either. I think both could be great opportunities. I just hate those kinds of decisions. If it wasn't for me, I could make it in a snap. When it comes to myself, I'm pretty much blind and stupid.

As for research, I have done it, but it's still hard to nail down. I told Job 1 my range. They told me their range. I don't mind starting lower, if I can eventually move beyond their range (if I cannot, it could become a problem because a range of $8k will get you topped out pretty fast - another reason why friend and I think it's the "starting" range). Did that make sense? haha. Both jobs are within range from what I have seen.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not really gunning for Job 2. It was the pay that enticed me. However, I talked to my friend today and we decided that Job 1 would be better in the long run. Why? Job 2 has a higher salary range, HOWEVER, it's gov't (me and friend both work for gov't) and that means the range is the range is the range. Once you're topped out, you're topped out. You can't go higher, period (unless you get a job reclassification or promotion). With Job 1, the employer is a HUGE private company. That also means most likely, there really isn't a cap (not always, but usually). So we think the range I was given, is probably a "starting" range. The stuff you can offer someone depending on their experience. I'm going to verify that if/when we talk salary negotiations.

I've already decided that if Job 1 makes an offer and Job 2 seems to like me, I'll let them know I got an offer and see what happens. If they can't do much, which being govt, they may not, then I'll happily take Job 1. I really like the dept I'd be working in, their pet bene's (I can bring my dog to work? Awesome!), and being a big corp, I'm going to assume they offer full, paid bene's. I could be wrong.

So, not really going for one or the either. I think both could be great opportunities. I just hate those kinds of decisions. If it wasn't for me, I could make it in a snap. When it comes to myself, I'm pretty much blind and stupid.

As for research, I have done it, but it's still hard to nail down. I told Job 1 my range. They told me their range. I don't mind starting lower, if I can eventually move beyond their range (if I cannot, it could become a problem because a range of $8k will get you topped out pretty fast - another reason why friend and I think it's the "starting" range). Did that make sense? haha. Both jobs are within range from what I have seen.
You can bring your dog to work? Hell, I'll take the job for you!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You can bring your dog to work? Hell, I'll take the job for you!

I haven't found out the specifics, but it's allowed. So, definitely Job 1 then, right? hehehe.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I haven't found out the specifics, but it's allowed. So, definitely Job 1 then, right? hehehe.
Definitely! We've got all fingers and paws crossed for you. Good luck on the interview, and best of luck w/ your move and new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or