Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM

11 posts, read 11,334 times

Advertisements

Lots of my friends who are applying for jobs at large companies are just shocked what they have to do to get hired. Just filling out the application online takes at least an hour. Then if they are brought in for an interview, it is not like the good old days where you would chat with the hiring manager for 45 and get an offer a few days later. Instead applicants to large organizations for professional office jobs need to participate in an all day assessment center. You'll now be tested on your communication, problem solving and team working skills. It's all day and very challenging, and few will survive the process.

Here is a link to the next big thing in professional hiring, so you can prepare. What do you think?

Succeeding in Test and Assessment Centers - Career Development From Mindtools.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Might be better than an interview process with 4 or 5 steps?

Many large organizations have a very difficult time terminating employees that are a bad fit or under-performing, due to ungainly documentation processes. As a manager, gone are the days I could just toss a box on someone's desk and tell them to pack it and go. Now I have to go through a 4 step process that can take 120-180 days just to get rid of someone.

Two sides to everything.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,622,715 times
yeah, honestly i'd rather spend one long day getting it all over with instead of going back over and over (which always meant taking another day off work, every time, for me) and then waiting to hear about the next step. i can also see the point of testing skills as well as having people interview with people at different levels.

and "few will survive the process" - that's kinda the way it is with every hiring process, no matter what the method. for every job opening, dozens or even hundreds apply but only one gets all the way through!

that being said, my longest interview was a couple of hours. multiple sets of interviewers, but no testing. and as i've said before, i've had over 30 interviews in the last 8 months. so while i know that this kind of interview process does exist, it's by no means common.

Last edited by groar; 07-03-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
Assessment centers have been around for decades, so they are nothing new. More places might be using them but it is not a new concept.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 11,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Assessment centers have been around for decades, so they are nothing new. More places might be using them but it is not a new concept.
The article said they started right after WW2, but now they are more common because the companies have determined that applicants will put up with difficult application processes for interviews and organizations are learning that just because someone interviews well that does not mean they will be a great employee. There is a logic in assessment centers but they are extremely challenging for job applicants.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhiremenow View Post
The article said they started right after WW2, but now they are more common because the companies have determined that applicants will put up with difficult application processes for interviews and organizations are learning that just because someone interviews well that does not mean they will be a great employee. There is a logic in assessment centers but they are extremely challenging for job applicants.

I have had an assessment test for my last two jobs, and I am glad I had them.

Wouldn't you rather find out you aren't cut out for the job during an assessment test instead of being fired in a few months? A test being extremely challenging isn't an issue to me. If my job wasn't challenging, I would try to find a new job.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,134,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yup, they have been around forever.

Quote:

I have helped develop and been involved in them. They are essentially mini job simulations. A day-in-the-life experience. You typically only see them used for director to executive level because of the price (they typically cost 5-10k to administer if it is a good assessment center involving actors and multiple raters throughout the day). Now if you apply for an organization that actually makes the ACs they may give it to lower levels. I have seen consulting firms give it to their applicants for consulting roles as well.

Although I have seen organizations that are developing online assessment centers using an outlook format where you receive several emails and phone calls and have to respond to issues that arise throughout the day. It is a cheaper alternative to a full blown assessment center.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,886,592 times
I think this is on the rise, but not sure it's all that new. My current job at a large company that I got ten years ago required 2 days worth of all day interviews

Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 84,276 times
I think they've been around for quite some time. I took one that lasted all afternoon. I guess I did badly since I never got a call back, but I've heard that once you pass the exams, you still have to come in for 3-4 more interviews until you reach the higher-ups. It's like an RPG game out there!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,205,776 times
Quote:
It's all day and very challenging, and few will survive the process.
That's the whole idea, gathering as much information as possible in order to limit the selection to the few best people, eliminating people that lie or exaggerate on their resumes, or don't have the interpersonal or leadership skills required for a job. At places where I have worked this has been done for management positions as far back as the 1980s, when I did one requiring writing reports and memos, budget analysis, and a "group discussion" with all 25 applicants on a controversial business decision that had to be made.
In some very specialized kinds of jobs this and other work sample projects will always exist, in others it's simply a way of reducing the applicant pool.

The fact that someone posts what comes off as a complaint here is evidence that some people will say
"no way I'm doing that" and it may reduce the numbers from 200 to 30. There will also be others that might have applied even though they didn't really meet the requirements, but will think otherwise when faced with a daunting test. I would expect the process for most jobs to be more simplified again in the future if it ever gets back to the worker shortages we saw in the 1990s. Big if.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search