U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM

9,021 posts, read 8,440,387 times

Advertisements

Preferred means exactly that. The closer you come to the stated preference the better your chances, but it is not a deal breaker. Even requirements are negotiable if you can come close and make a compelling argument.

Stating a preference is a way for employers to give potential applicants a better idea as to what they want. This allows you to tailor your résumé and cover letter better to address the job.

I never receive many applicants that hit all of my preferences. Hiring is a matter of compromise for both the company and the applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,618,102 times
"Preferred" is code for "an absolute requirement unless you can otherwise show that your accomplishments are on the level of curing cancer."

Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 41,600 times
In my experience/field, which is highly competitive, preferred is the equivalent of required. "Strongly preferred" means absolutely required. It's a good way to deter you from applying when Masters and 3-5 years are the essential requirements. I've also seen this used in cases where they already have a candidate lined up they want, that candidate has some unique trait that they know not many people have, and they still have to post the position for some reason. Then it gives them recourse to go after the candidate they had already chosen even when other well-qualified people apply.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:36 PM

27,395 posts, read 15,822,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Oh, those are my favorite. The reason why kids with Bachelor's and Master's degrees end up waiting tables after graduation.
Yeah they annoy me as well.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
To me it means go to the next ad.

I seen ads that was looking for a job counselor which had "Bilingual preferred", and I knew it was no point of me applying since I am not bilingual.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 20 days ago)

30,154 posts, read 2,547,410 times
A different use of preferred: "Native American preferred" (for jobs on the reservation) used to be something I saw a lot in the Duluth MN area. I haven't looked at job ads lately so I don't know if the term is still used, but I always thought that was discrimination. I never came across an ad that said "Whites preferred".

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
A different use of preferred: "Native American preferred" (for jobs on the reservation) used to be something I saw a lot in the Duluth MN area. I haven't looked at job ads lately so I don't know if the term is still used, but I always thought that was discrimination. I never came across an ad that said "Whites preferred".

Now what job ad is going to say that?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM

27,395 posts, read 15,822,708 times
Quote:
I think that isn't discrimination as if it was on the reservation, I would imagine Natives would rather work with people they would have a common bond with (that bond being the same race.) Think about it, most people stay within their race to an extent. am not saying it is racist (cause it is not being overtly racist)it is just a short cut the brain runs on. Until this is broken, it exists.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think that isn't discrimination as if it was on the reservation, I would imagine Natives would rather work with people they would have a common bond with (that bond being the same race.) Think about it, most people stay within their race to an extent. am not saying it is racist (cause it is not being overtly racist)it is just a short cut the brain runs on. Until this is broken, it exists.

Is that why the one WHITE LADY at my job stays to herself and talks to none of the other black employees? I think she should quit lol

Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 41,600 times
Quote:
Actually if this was happening on a recognized reservation - which has tribal sovereignty - it is really not discrimination in the sense you're using it. It would be like a job ad in the US that says "prefer US candidates", the only difference is their sovereign territory generally only includes Native Americans.

There are lots of reasons for this that are cultural and have nothing to do with the outright and implied statements you're making here. Due to religious and cultural observances it is a lot easier to take someone who already understands the culture, knows the language, has paperwork, etc. than it is to take someone from the outside, and teach them all the nuances of the culture AND the job. For the same reason someone in other countries and cultures might be more likely to hire someone from within, than someone from without.

How your logic compares a distinctive cultural/linguistic group to ALL "white" people (which would make me wonder too, how you define white) is mind-blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or