U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,543 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Is that why the one WHITE LADY at my job stays to herself and talks to none of the other black employees? I think she should quit lol
Without more information on this woman - I think when you're the minority in a work place in any sense of the word, let alone something that is very outwardly obvious, it can make you shy/quiet/withdrawn so that you don't stick out any more than you do. Obviously that's not always going to have the desired result - and can make it worse rather than better. Are you implying she is racist, and you have other reasons why you believe that, and that's why you want her to quit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8 View Post
Without more information on this woman - I think when you're the minority in a work place in any sense of the word, let alone something that is very outwardly obvious, it can make you shy/quiet/withdrawn so that you don't stick out any more than you do. Obviously that's not always going to have the desired result - and can make it worse rather than better. Are you implying she is racist, and you have other reasons why you believe that, and that's why you want her to quit?

Well it sure looks like it since she doesn't socialize with anyone. Seem like it would be easier for her to quit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,543 times
Reputation: 55
She might be. She also just might be awkward - I've had coworkers like this on more than one occasion, and I can only imagine the implied stigma of being the only person of a certain ethnicity would have increased that tenfold. I would think if she were truly racist, that that wouldn't be an environment she was willing to be in. But only she knows for sure I suppose. Do you invite her to do things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8 View Post
She might be. She also just might be awkward - I've had coworkers like this on more than one occasion, and I can only imagine the implied stigma of being the only person of a certain ethnicity would have increased that tenfold. I would think if she were truly racist, that that wouldn't be an environment she was willing to be in. But only she knows for sure I suppose. Do you invite her to do things?

I stopped looking at her since she never made an effort to welcome me to the agency when I first started. And would only speak on certain days so basically she is either racist or on medication lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Reputation: 26526
You've mentioned several times that you have your own office and are no longer in an open environment and you've also mentioned that you have very little interaction with your fellow workers who are all somewhat older than your 38 years.

It's quite possible that this "white woman" you refer to simply doesn't like you for some reason or maybe she's one of those people that actually goes to work to DO the work. Maybe she's also a contributor to CD and has figured out who you are ... could be many different reasons other than the jump to accuse her of probably being "racist" or "on medication". Maybe she needs to be on medication if in close proximity to you. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You've mentioned several times that you have your own office and are no longer in an open environment and you've also mentioned that you have very little interaction with your fellow workers who are all somewhat older than your 38 years.

It's quite possible that this "white woman" you refer to simply doesn't like you for some reason or maybe she's one of those people that actually goes to work to DO the work. Maybe she's also a contributor to CD and has figured out who you are ... could be many different reasons other than the jump to accuse her of probably being "racist" or "on medication". Maybe she needs to be on medication if in close proximity to you. Who knows.

I think she is racist and should quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Northern Minnesota
30,147 posts, read 2,541,530 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8 View Post
Actually if this was happening on a recognized reservation - which has tribal sovereignty - it is really not discrimination in the sense you're using it. It would be like a job ad in the US that says "prefer US candidates", the only difference is their sovereign territory generally only includes Native Americans.

There are lots of reasons for this that are cultural and have nothing to do with the outright and implied statements you're making here. Due to religious and cultural observances it is a lot easier to take someone who already understands the culture, knows the language, has paperwork, etc. than it is to take someone from the outside, and teach them all the nuances of the culture AND the job. For the same reason someone in other countries and cultures might be more likely to hire someone from within, than someone from without.

How your logic compares a distinctive cultural/linguistic group to ALL "white" people (which would make me wonder too, how you define white) is mind-blowing.
Wow, you're making way too much out of my post! I saw these ads in newspapers that go all over a large area with a small distribution of the actual reservation. Years ago, I answered one such ad and got the job. I'm all white. It was an office job and I got the job because of my skills. As a matter of fact all four woman in the office were white. But hey, they tried to get Native Americans (with their ad), I'll give them that.

As for you saying "...with the outright and implied statements...." I say, give me a break! I was simply sharing an observation, a fact. The "white preferred" comment I made was tongue-in-cheek. As I witnessed, the reservation did the right thing and hired people who were best for the jobs, whether Native American, white, black, etc.

Warning: I am going to use humor.....it doesn't take much to blow your mind, eh?!

Last edited by geebabe; 07-06-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,543 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Wow, you're making way too much out of my post! I saw these ads in newspapers that go all over a large area with a small distribution of the actual reservation. Years ago, I answered one such ad and got the job. I'm all white. It was an office job and I got the job because of my skills. As a matter of fact all four woman in the office were white. But hey, they tried to get Native Americans (with their ad), I'll give them that.

As for you saying "...with the outright and implied statements...." give me a break! I was simply sharing an observation, a fact. The "white preferred" comment I made was tongue-in-cheek.
How am I making too much out of it? You stated... that you "always thought it was discrimination." I offered my thoughts - that it often isn't in cases like those and gave reasons to support that claim. Isn't that what discussion boards are for?

You weren't just stating facts. You stated a fact about the ads, then you offered your opinion about them.

Tongue-in-cheek? I feel like you're just trying to back out of your statement, and making light of how seriously some people take racism and/or "reverse racism" might not be the best exit strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,543 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Wow, you're making way too much out of my post! I saw these ads in newspapers that go all over a large area with a small distribution of the actual reservation. Years ago, I answered one such ad and got the job. I'm all white. It was an office job and I got the job because of my skills. As a matter of fact all four woman in the office were white. But hey, they tried to get Native Americans (with their ad), I'll give them that.

As for you saying "...with the outright and implied statements...." I say, give me a break! I was simply sharing an observation, a fact. The "white preferred" comment I made was tongue-in-cheek. As I witnessed, the reservation did the right thing and hired people who were best for the jobs, whether Native American, white, black, etc.

Warning: I am going to use humor.....it doesn't take much to blow your mind, eh?!
And now that you've edited your statement...

Warning: Lots of people won't find humor in jokes about discrimination based on race.

My mind was blown not because you were trying to be funny but because comparing the two didn't make logical sense even in an intended-to-be-funny light. Unless that was the joke you were trying to make - haha - isn't it funny when people try to make comparisons between Native American hiring practices on reservations to the fact that "white people" a statistical majority according to current census definitions of the word, who have nothing at-large in common culturally or linguistically, with none of the historical background, can't/don't do that? And.. you just told me I was making too much of it, so I assume I wasn't meant to read that deeply into intent.

Further, that's not how it came across in your post. It came across as you complaining that they were discriminating, and that white people can't do that. - the implied statement that "that's not fair!" was the one I was referring to.

I can only respond to what you say on here, not what you're thinking or details you don't provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Northern Minnesota
30,147 posts, read 2,541,530 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8 View Post
Warning: Lots of people won't find humor in jokes about discrimination based on race.

My mind was blown not because you were trying to be funny but because comparing the two didn't make logical sense even in an intended-to-be-funny light. Unless that was the joke you were trying to make - haha - isn't it funny when people try to make comparisons between Native American hiring practices on reservations to the fact that "white people" a statistical majority according to current census definitions of the word, who have nothing at-large in common culturally or linguistically, with none of the historical background, can't/don't do that? And.. you just told me I was making too much of it, so I assume I wasn't meant to read that deeply into intent.

Further, that's not how it came across in your post. It came across as you complaining that they were discriminating, and that white people can't do that. - the implied statement that "that's not fair!" was the one I was referring to.

I can only respond to what you say on here, not what you're thinking or details you don't provide.
I wasn't making jokes about discrimination based on race.

I am not going to try to explain my original post to you since it appears there would be no explanation I could give that you'd understand.

Bye-bye

Last edited by geebabe; 07-06-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top