U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:33 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Yeah it's frustrating when it long but I would just say turn off your phone and let it go straight to voicemail so that you won't drive yourself crazy waiting for feedback. Then you can just check the voicemail every hour to see if someone called

That's what I had to do last year.
Funny 'cause that's what I do too. I can't stand the shrill tone of the phone cutting into my solitude! LOL

Leave a message or it's not that important is what I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Funny 'cause that's what I do too. I can't stand the shrill tone of the phone cutting into my solitude! LOL

Leave a message or it's not that important is what I feel.

There you go, if they want to hire you they will leave a message. I was criticized for doing this by some of the people on here and said I should instead answer the phone. I didn't want to be too available when a person called about a job and wanted it to seem like I had other options.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM

929 posts, read 1,878,527 times
The real reason the hiring process drags on at most companies is that most HR dept. are incompetent. The person doing the interviewing probably wants you to start today, but HR and upper management controls the strings.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,660,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
The real reason the hiring process drags on at most companies is that most HR dept. are incompetent.
Proof?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 AM

10,332 posts, read 9,376,947 times
Many posters are correct about recruiters having other tasks besides actual recruiting. I worked in HR for nearly ten years (as a support person) and was amazed by the number of useless projects thrown at the recruiters by the dept manager, or dept director. It was obvious that the upper staff didn't have enough to do and spent an inordinate amount of time thinking up all kinds of projects for the recruiters.

During our dept meetings (that were too often and too long), recruiters were assigned ongoing tasks of maintaining statistical reports that were a waste of time; and/or many projects that never went anywhere. All of this going on at the same time recruiters were expected to fill the numerous positions open at any given time.

Recruiters were also expected to participate in the many annual fund raising events for the community; or attending career fairs; coordinate wellness in-house events; and many other functions that took them away from their daily responsibilities of hiring.

Some times the hiring managers are a big part of the roadblocks for recruiters. Hiring managers can slow down the process by not following through with the recruiters, or being difficult to 'corner' for their decisions on a candidate.

If most recruiters were just left alone and allowed to 'recruit', the process would flow more smoothly and quickly.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

Well, turns out I got the job! I am thrilled!

Turns out the hiring manager was hospitalized for a sudden illness the week after interviewing me, then went on vacation.

On Monday she offered me the job and apologized profusely for the delay.

How refreshing is that?

I start next week!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Well, turns out I got the job! I am thrilled!

Turns out the hiring manager was hospitalized for a sudden illness the week after interviewing me, then went on vacation.

On Monday she offered me the job and apologized profusely for the delay.

How refreshing is that?

I start next week!

Why so fast? why not the July 29th?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Why so fast? why not the July 29th?
Seriously? Nuttin' wrong with that!

Let's get the big bucks rolling here...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,713,652 times
geez, start when you want to!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,656,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've been part of the interview process as an interviewer....and agree the company's on internal on-goings drag out the process.

We might have a position open, and want to bring in 3 people to talk about it. It might take 2-4 weeks just to interview those people, and then we have meetings to discuss, and then need to get HR to send formal offer and sometimes at that point the person has found a job and we need to start over with another person.

So yeah....sometimes it can take a while even if you like the first person you see.
Doesn't that speak to how inefficient the whole process is at some companies? "Our process took so long, that the candidate had the opportunity to go through the same process at another company, be offered a job, negotiate the offer, and accept it".

Two to four weeks? That's unnecessary in my opinion. Also consider the complete disregard of the interviewee's time in many cases. Let's make you sit for half a day of interviews on this day and then bring you in for another half a day of interviews a week later. Oh, and the job only pays $37k/year. What if the candidate has a job already and you're making him or her use up their PTO, not to mention possibly sending red flags to their managers? Do people in HR even consider this? I'm guessing they do not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or