U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,700,584 times
Reputation: 872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
July 21, 1975?
Is that your birthdate?
I wasn't thinking of a specific date, but thanks for coming out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Reputation: 9889
Ha ha!
Maybe even as short ago as 10 years!

It's like remembering life before ''credit scores'' when you could walk into a bank or credit union and get a car loan ''just like that''.

Good days gone forever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Is that your birthdate?
I wasn't thinking of a specific date, but thanks for coming out.

I used today's date and just put 75 to ask was it like that back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Canada
2,158 posts, read 1,700,584 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I used today's date and just put 75 to ask was it like that back then
It was the 70s for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Ha ha!
Maybe even as short ago as 10 years!

It's like remembering life before ''credit scores'' when you could walk into a bank or credit union and get a car loan ''just like that''.

Good days gone forever...

But before credit scores how did you qualify for a loan? By the amount of money you had in the bank? I know they wasn't giving loans to anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
187,012 posts, read 76,911,148 times
Reputation: 130279
My old job is still posted from 2006. It's not that I'm not replaceable it is that they raised the bar on degree and no one with that degree will work for what I was paid. Background checks seem to take for ever every time my wife moves to a new nursing job. Takes a month or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My old job is still posted from 2006. It's not that I'm not replaceable it is that they raised the bar on degree and no one with that degree will work for what I was paid. Background checks seem to take for ever every time my wife moves to a new nursing job. Takes a month or more.


I think my background check was completed after 10 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Reputation: 9889
I don't think I will be starting my new job this week after all. Really don't know what is going on.

This is week 5 since my interview, salary has been verbally offered and verbally accepted, start date was set by hiring manager.

But no BG check, drug screen, or offer in writing.

I feel somewhat discouraged, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
Reputation: 9889
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But before credit scores how did you qualify for a loan? By the amount of money you had in the bank? I know they wasn't giving loans to anyone
They took info on work history, pulled credit history with no ''score'', educational background, financial profile which included a household budget, and personal references.

Credit unions took apps ''to committee'' and discussed your credit worthiness and risk.

There was even an ''appeal process'' if turned down which allowed you to be present to explain your financial situation on a second review.

These were my experiences and it was way more personal than just a ''score''.

This was my experience with credit unions. I can't speak as to how banks did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I don't think I will be starting my new job this week after all. Really don't know what is going on.

This is week 5 since my interview, salary has been verbally offered and verbally accepted, start date was set by hiring manager.

But no BG check, drug screen, or offer in writing.

I feel somewhat discouraged, to say the least.


They never told you the letter was on the way or sent you a email? I was sent a email scan of the letter 2 days after I accepted the job to let me know it was on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top