U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM

174 posts, read 357,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Ha ha!
Maybe even as short ago as 10 years!

It's like remembering life before ''credit scores'' when you could walk into a bank or credit union and get a car loan ''just like that''.

Good days gone forever...
You're right, it's as recent as 10 years ago because I have a friend who got hired like that in 2001 or 02 by walking in and filling out the forms. Yup, credit scores were unheard of not to long ago also. Just had to prove your income and state outstanding debts and bingo, loan approved (or not).

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,522,114 times
I am fuming! NOW I am not starting this week after all!

The Background check and pee test results are not in yet. This is week 7 since the interview, I do believe. This company is a mess.

Got a call for another job interview. Gonna call them tomorrow, just to see what it's about.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,429,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
Yup, that's how I got the best job I ever had with a big corporation and was there 19 years, started in 1974.

Same thing with my husband in 1987 and he's leaving that same company now after 26 years because they're moving. We're both going to be looking for work, not fun, and the hiring process today is a joke. Think about it, couple of decades ago people walked into companies, filled out apps and were hired within a day or two. We were good employees/workers who advanced through the years and companies thrived and spent a lot less money on new hires then they do today. If a person was hired that turned out not to be a good fit or whatever, they were easily let go.

Today they've complicated the whole process with their stupid psychological testing, etc. and despite the insane process and tests that are supposed to weed out 'undesirables', I've still seen incompetent people hired.

Getting hired today has become like dating, no one wants to make a commitment because they think the perfect person is still out there somewhere.

Yeah because looks and personality definitely plays a factor

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,429,543 times
Quote:

The Background check and pee test results are not in yet. This is week 7 since the interview, I do believe. This company is a mess.

Got a call for another job interview. Gonna call them tomorrow, just to see what it's about.

Now u probably have to ask yourself, will I be working before labor day?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,069,921 times
Quote:

That doesn't seem right? I have never heard of a "regular" job taking that long. If it was security clearance sure.

So which is background or drug test. Because a drug test takes no longer than 5 days? to get back. So if it's a reference of yours not calling back then make sure they do.

If it's not of the above they are stringing you along to see if a new hire works out and if not you will be that backup person.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM

I took the pee test on Friday. The BC was initiated early last week. I think it's the hiring manager jumping the gun and setting start days instead of waiting for my ''official'' hire offer after these are complete.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 PM

Final update: I'm in and I start on the 7th! Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or