U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM

341 posts, read 570,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I wonder if the Duck Dynasty guy's company is of one ethnicity.
The worst kind, French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,613,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I'm sure it is illegal, but it would be very hard to prove.
On its face, not illegal at all. As another poster mentoned, if the company is small enough there are no laws regarding what is and what is not illegal. Only companies with federal government contracts are required to meet any diversity guidelines that state the number of minorities who must be employed with the company. Small businesses rarely have government contracts. Other companies are free to hire or not hire for any reason they wish as long as it is not in violation of a protected class. That said, in order to be in compliance with that, the company merely needs a reason they did not hire the person of the protected class to be free of any racism claims. Better experience, better interview, etc...all valid reasons.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,662,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I see the "fluent in.." line often. I think you nailed it.

You guys think in the future hiring practices will go this way more and more?
Thank you! It's already happening! I have done diversity searches for many large, well known restaurant chains. They need to fill a quota. They are fined if the quota is not filled. So there has to be a certain amount of women, African Americans, Hispanics, etc working at any given time. Interestingly enough, the majority of restaurant managers seem to be Caucasian men. I have had to turn some down in order to meet minority quotas.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM

3,408 posts, read 3,580,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Thank you! It's already happening! I have done diversity searches for many large, well known restaurant chains. They need to fill a quota. They are fined if the quota is not filled. So there has to be a certain amount of women, African Americans, Hispanics, etc working at any given time. Interestingly enough, the majority of restaurant managers seem to be Caucasian men. I have had to turn some down in order to meet minority quotas.
Sorry, but I have to call BS. Restaurants do not have any quota they have to fill or be fined. Just like most businesses do not, unless they have government contracts.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,471,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call BS. Restaurants do not have any quota they have to fill or be fined. Just like most businesses do not, unless they have government contracts.
Maaybee true for a large restaurant chain that operates some store out of an airport

Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,541,264 times
There are no quotas, just goals based on availability in the recruiting area. I think EEOC jurisdiction is 15 employees for all employers, OFCCP jurisdiciton is 50 employees and a federal contract of a certain amount.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,150,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I'll call you out on your post. I think you're making this up. Please provide info that states there has to be "a certain amount of women, African Americans, Hispanics, etc working at any given time." in the restaurant industry.

Prohibited Practices

And in regards to the original topic....many businesses will ask for a specific skill set (language for example) but not a specific ethnic group. In the years that I've been in the workforce, I've seen ads transition from "bilingual preferred" to "bilingual required". It's not descrimination because it's possible that anyone can speak that particular language. They're not just asking for those of that group to apply.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,263,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's how it's done around here. You will see businesses with 100% of one ethnicity -- and they definitely do discriminate. Another line is "must be bilingual" but here that doesn't mean two languages, but one specific language.
That is certainly not true. Ive applied to those kind of positions and people have needed both languages to work in.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM

27,347 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I'm sure it is illegal, but it would be very hard to prove.
It's only illegal if say the company has 50 or more employees and they have less than 20 of the workforce in as a part of a minority background.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:25 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's only illegal if say the company has 50 or more employees and they have less than 20 of the workforce in as a part of a minority background.
????
Source, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or