U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,274,200 times

Advertisements

I am a certified ESL teacher without experience but I became a stay-at-home-mom for four years after graduation. There is a career fair next month for the school district but I'm not sure if I should attend or not. The problem is that I don't speak the local language well, and I'm nervous that I might make a fool out of myself Now, as the ESL teacher, my native English is an obvious advantage but I still need to be able to speak to administrators and parents.

Would it be silly to go? Would you do it? I'm still in school part-time to improve my second language so I'm not sure if I should wait or not. I would like a job in September but I am also okay with waiting another year.

I know I lack confidence which is a shame because interviews were always my strong point (in English)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,392,796 times
What do you have to lose by going?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,720,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What do you have to lose by going?
Time. I have found most career fairs, at least the ones by me to be a huge waste of time. Those compansy are not hiring and are just "collecting resumes"

Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM

My worry is that if my language isn't good enough, that I might make a bad impression Although I don't know if they will remember me for the next year either.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,392,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Time. I have found most career fairs, at least the ones by me to be a huge waste of time. Those compansy are not hiring and are just "collecting resumes"
In general, I agree. But this is a career fair for a particular school district.
What's the difference if the time is used to attend a career fair and talking to recruiters versus time spent searching and applying for positions online?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,854,218 times
You can try going but I find these fairs to be a waste of time.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,529,171 times
My fiance was looking for a job. We had heard on the local news station of a job fair later that day. So, we ended up going to the hotel where the job fair was being held. Sadly, the job fair was a total bust. Most of the employers that were supposed to be there didn't show. So after the initial job fair disappointment, she decided to apply for a job with the hotel, whom wasn't involved whatsoever in the job fair other then a place to host it at, and wouldn't you know? She got a job. Granted, it wasn't a great job, but it was A job. And right now, any job for her is much much better then no job for her. The moral of my story? Go. Go to the job fair, Yea it may or may not be a waste of time, but time is ALL you got to lose. Who knows, it may just pay off.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,986,432 times
I'd go, you have nothing to lose, if you aren't working at all, your time isn't going to be wasted.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I am a certified ESL teacher without experience but I became a stay-at-home-mom for four years after graduation. There is a career fair next month for the school district but I'm not sure if I should attend or not. The problem is that I don't speak the local language well, and I'm nervous that I might make a fool out of myself Now, as the ESL teacher, my native English is an obvious advantage but I still need to be able to speak to administrators and parents.

Would it be silly to go? Would you do it? I'm still in school part-time to improve my second language so I'm not sure if I should wait or not. I would like a job in September but I am also okay with waiting another year.

I know I lack confidence which is a shame because interviews were always my strong point (in English)
I'm confused - are you in another country? If so, which one? I'm trying to think of a scenario in which someone wants to hire only ESL teachers who are fluent in the local language, and I can't think of any that I've heard of before. Most countries do not require at all that English teachers know the native language, and most don't. I'm thinking of course of the common ESL employers - China, Korea, etc. - where being a native English speaker with a certification would make you desirable by itself and there is no expectation of knowing their language. Perhaps you are in a place with a high number of people who speak both English and the local language with native fluency (and thus not a very high ESL teacher demand), in which case I guess you would be at a disadvantage.

However, if that is not the case, and you are just worried about attending an event in a foreign country where you don't know the language well, I would suggest go anyway. As long as you can say, "Hi, forgive me for not speaking your language very well. I am still learning it" or something along those lines, your effort itself will be appreciated and they will probably just find you an English speaker someplace. In these situations I try to imagine what advice I would give to a student if he or she were nervous about doing something in English.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Correct, I am currently unemployed and I can get a babysitter so I am not worried about wasting time. If anything, it would be nice to associate with the outside world that doesn't revolve around diapers.

I'm in Canada, the local language is French. You are correct that in basically every other country in the world, you are not required to know the local language for the vast majority of ESL positions. Here in Quebec, the demand for qualified ESL teachers is very high but the school districts do not provide support staff/consultants for ESL teachers (in Japan, for example, you would have a bilingual co-teacher to assist in translation).

I think I will just go and if I cannot speak well enough, just apologize and promise to return next year with higher fluency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or