U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men's interview attire: suit and tie versus jacket and tie
Definitely wear the suit and tie. 21 63.64%
It doesn't matter. There isn't enough of a difference if the jacket, pants and tie are nice. 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Anywho, what I am saying for the "suit issue" is say you have to take a bus or train with no or limited AC to get to the job (say it is in NYC or some major metropolitan area) and you have no place to hold the suit while not wearing it and it is the 100 degree weather.
I used to live in NYC. I interviewed for jobs in the summer on two different occasions. Went to a few weddings and some funerals. Saw some clients.

I wore a suit! Don't give me crap about not having a place to hang the jacket when on the subway like it is some really difficult ordeal that is ough to figure out. You carefully fold it and keep it on your lap. It's not rocket science.

If you don't want to wear a suit, that fine. Admit to it and move on. But don't try and come up with nonsensical excuses.

You want to maximize your chance of nailing an interview? Wear a suit. Want to give yourself a handicap? Leave the suit at home. Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
Not just any suit.

Blue or gray. 2 button. NOT double breasted. Don't forget good shoes and a hairstyle that requires a comb. Quality tie and shirt.

Act like you have worn a suit before. Make sure it fits.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 AM

27,290 posts, read 15,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I used to live in NYC. I interviewed for jobs in the summer on two different occasions. Went to a few weddings and some funerals. Saw some clients.

I wore a suit! Don't give me crap about not having a place to hang the jacket when on the subway like it is some really difficult ordeal that is ough to figure out. You carefully fold it and keep it on your lap. It's not rocket science.

If you don't want to wear a suit, that fine. Admit to it and move on. But don't try and come up with nonsensical excuses.

You want to maximize your chance of nailing an interview? Wear a suit. Want to give yourself a handicap? Leave the suit at home. Your choice.
I don't mind wearing a suit in normal conditions. Weather over say 100 degrees out, I start to disagree mainly for the sweat factor. Let's remember, as "unprofessional" it is to not wear a suit, it is just as to be sweated up. Now yes, you MAY be able to "freshen up" before you get to your interview (I would say you should have enough time to goto the bathroom wash hands and double check to see if there is any blemishes on your suit in a mirror before going in. However, sweating you cannot always help. Sure you can carry deorderant and and another dress shirt but it still can affect you.

This is my whole complaint about wearing a suit in summer. I am fine with wearing suits to interviews most interviews and job fairs I have (baring a few where it was rather warm in the 100s.) I just want to know why it is "nonsense" in summer to expect applicant to wear suits. I am not saying to show up in Bermuda shorts and golf polo, I'm just wondering why in summer it is "bad" to show up in black slacks and a dress shirt rather than put yourself at a disadvantage if you sweat on your way to an interview.

If I am wrong for wondering the logic then I am sorry, I just don't get the logic of wear a suit even the weather isn't appropriate for it.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,125,356 times
Thanks for the responses. It's interesting to see the variation in opinion from the people who think attire doesn't matter all that much to the people who think it is one of the most important aspects of an interview.

One of the main arguments I'm seeing is that the quality of the attire reflects the potential employee. While there is truth to this, I think it matters less exactly what the candidate wears so long as they look professional. An alternate view is that anyone can throw on a suit and putting much emphasis on appearance is likely putting emphasis on the least important characteristic for most jobs. Anyone can put on a suit and look professional. But so long as an employee doesn't stand out as unkempt, looking sharper or more professional in a suit is not indicative of professional success or lack thereof.

I guess my view as a manager is that someone needs to dress well enough to not stand out from the norms of the field. This is an easy bar to reach in most cases. Someone wearing a custom tailored suit is not going to get them anymore points from me than someone wearing a nice off-the-rack blazer and tie so long as they look professional.

If anything, I tend to be more suspicious of people who put what I would consider to be an over-emphasis on appearance. It makes me think they are attempting to compensate for some other kind of deficiency.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
You make some good points.

I don't want to leave the impression that hiring is done based upon appearances. There are a lot of factors that go into making a hiring decision and experience/capability is going to be the driving factor in most cases.

However, the job search is a competitive process. If there are a number of candidates with similar credentials, the tie breaker is going to be based upon the fuzzier factors. Which ultimately means that the candidate with a professional appearance, who is on time, with a well written cover letter has an advantage over a person with similar experience wearing a button down.

I would hate to lose an offer because somebody dressed better than I did.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,421,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You make some good points.

I don't want to leave the impression that hiring is done based upon appearances. There are a lot of factors that go into making a hiring decision and experience/capability is going to be the driving factor in most cases.

However, the job search is a competitive process. If there are a number of candidates with similar credentials, the tie breaker is going to be based upon the fuzzier factors. Which ultimately means that the candidate with a professional appearance, who is on time, with a well written cover letter has an advantage over a person with similar experience wearing a button down.

I would hate to lose an offer because somebody dressed better than I did.
Good post. Like it or not, we do have to make assumptions when hiring someone. If someone doesn't take the extra effort (doesn't wear a suit, shoes aren't polished) I can't help but wonder if they will not take the extra effort on the job as well. That is definitely unfair to some people, but a hiring decision has to be made based on the information on hand.

That being said, one of the best hires I ever made was a guy who wore sneakers and a ratty sweater to the interview. He was just mind-blowingly smart to the point where I couldn't care less what he wore. He is the 1% exception though, not the rule.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,125,356 times
I had an interview recently and I debated wearing the suit or the nice dress slacks, tie and blazer. I went with the blazer (somewhat as an experiment) and ended up getting the offer.

That said, I was still the best dressed person in the room, and I think that makes a difference. My opinion/advice would be to aim to be dressed at least as well as the interviewers, if not better (and better is definitely the ideal). The safest (and honestly, easiest) way to do that is to wear the suit. I think as long as you are dressed as good or better than the interviewers, its probably fine. However, I think it is a very bad idea to be dressed worse than the interviewers.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM

545 posts, read 824,887 times
I had a job interview today for a part time retail position that pays 8.25 an hour. I was wearing a suit and tie. I was over dressed because no one I saw that was being interviewed or the people doing the interviewing were wearing a suit and tie. Someone, probably 20 or so that was also being interviewed, was wearing jeans and dress shirt.

However, it's retail, so a suit and tie can be over kill.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM

27,290 posts, read 15,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I had a job interview today for a part time retail position that pays 8.25 an hour. I was wearing a suit and tie. I was over dressed because no one I saw that was being interviewed or the people doing the interviewing were wearing a suit and tie. Someone, probably 20 or so that was also being interviewed, was wearing jeans and dress shirt.

However, it's retail, so a suit and tie can be over kill.
There in-lies the rub. Not every job needs business professional suits for the interviews let alone the double breasted two button suits. Some just require you to look nice. It's a crap shoot, you either over dress and find that you are over-qualified or you under-dress and eliminated because others are dressed more appropriate than you.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,731,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm curious if you all think there is much of a difference for an interview between wearing a suit and tie (matching material) versus wearing a nice jacket, dress pants and tie (not identical material). For the sake of this mental experiment, assume that the pants and jacket are a similar color. Also, assume that the normal office dress is slacks and a button-down shirt (i.e. typical business casual).

I've read two rules of thumb for interviews: always suit and tie or dress above what you would normally wear. Very few offices in the US wear suits anymore. Heck, very few wear ties on a daily basis anymore. That being the case, is there a pronounced difference between a candidate that wears a formal suit versus on that wears a nice jacket/pants combo with a tie?
Interview always wear a suit and tie. Same for meeting a new client.

I have shown up for meetings in jeans and a jacket (no tie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search