U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men's interview attire: suit and tie versus jacket and tie
Definitely wear the suit and tie. 21 63.64%
It doesn't matter. There isn't enough of a difference if the jacket, pants and tie are nice. 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM

8,133 posts, read 5,702,064 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if you all think there is much of a difference for an interview between wearing a suit and tie (matching material) versus wearing a nice jacket, dress pants and tie (not identical material). For the sake of this mental experiment, assume that the pants and jacket are a similar color. Also, assume that the normal office dress is slacks and a button-down shirt (i.e. typical business casual).

I've read two rules of thumb for interviews: always suit and tie or dress above what you would normally wear. Very few offices in the US wear suits anymore. Heck, very few wear ties on a daily basis anymore. That being the case, is there a pronounced difference between a candidate that wears a formal suit versus on that wears a nice jacket/pants combo with a tie?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 PM

11,420 posts, read 13,972,769 times
A suit is usually considered more formal. It would also depend on the industry of the company you are interviewing at.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM

302 posts, read 707,108 times
I don't like the non-matching look. Suit up!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 PM

7,789 posts, read 7,555,881 times
Depends on the industry and position. The more conservative the industry, such as banking, the stronger the preference for a suit. The more senior the position, the stronger the sip unit preference.

If you have to ask the question, you should wear a suit.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,529,069 times
"As long as I got my suit and tie ..."

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 AM
bUU

11,684 posts, read 8,166,018 times
For some jobs, a jacket and tie (or even jacket, no-tie) would be better, because a suit and tie in those contexts would work against a fundamental aspect of what you're being interviewed for, i.e., how well you fit in with the team you'd be working within. While it is always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed, it is always better to be appropriately-dressed as compared to both over-dressed and under-dressed. As part of learning about the company and division you'd be interviewing with, it pays to learn about its work culture, and dress just a bit more formal than the highest level person you'd be interviewing with.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,273,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Depends on the industry and position. The more conservative the industry, such as banking, the stronger the preference for a suit. The more senior the position, the stronger the sip unit preference.

this. it really depends on the company and the industry to some extent, but a suit is always a safe option if you're not sure.

for the job i just got, i wore a suit to the first interview even though i could tell it was a pretty "hip" organization and probably had a pretty casual dress code. i got there and was proven right - everyone was wearing jeans. the second interview i worse a dress with a blazer (which i'd say is roughly equivalent to a non-matching jacket and tie), since i knew i'd be ok without a suit. good thing, cause i only have the one suit! i would have just changed it up with a different top and accessories if i'd needed to though. and when you're a guy, you can probably just change the tie and no one would notice unless there was something very distinctive about the suit.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,328,642 times
What would the VP of the department wear?

I'd opt for the suit, since you can always ditch the tie if you need to "dress it down".

Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,922,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

This.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,056,994 times
I work where every day is casual day. But when someone comes in for an interview and is not dressed in a full suit and tie , we all talk about it. Suit and tie for interviews no matter what, I guess unless you're interviewing at a really offbeat place where they would see you as a square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search