U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM

2,711 posts, read 6,228,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
... I have never had a hard time finding a job. The longest it has taken me to find a job is 2 months.
Depends on your field and skills. There Are still certain jobs that employees are in such demand that they will hire just about anyone that meets / exceeds the requirements. Off the top of my head, machinists, Truck Drivers, Computer application software engineers, Registered nurses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM

12,616 posts, read 15,081,361 times
It depends on the industry. In a skilled industry, where specific skills are needed (physician, IT, biotechnology, professor, attorney, etc) and that "beautiful" person is lacking these skills/education, he/she will never be able to obtain the position.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM

8,816 posts, read 13,309,481 times
I've found the hiring process in general is extremely shallow, arbitrary, devoid of logic, full of prejudice, and overall dysfunctional.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,048,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've found the hiring process in general is extremely shallow, arbitrary, devoid of logic, full of prejudice, and overall dysfunctional.
I felt that at some point. The key here is to figure out how to get on that side that benefits from the disfunctionality

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,762,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Depends on your field and skills. There Are still certain jobs that employees are in such demand that they will hire just about anyone that meets / exceeds the requirements. Off the top of my head, machinists, Truck Drivers, Computer application software engineers, Registered nurses...
I work at a university in a student (customer) focused position. I am around campus a lot speaking to students, and promoting our department. I have been here for 6 years and very successful at what I do.

My looks have never been a hindrance to my employment.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
Wanted: men that look like a younger version of Mitt Romney or women that look like a Anchor on FoxNews or a beauty contestant.

As a long term recruiter in the staffing industry, very few of my clients will actually ask specifically for a "beautiful person" but they have their code words and almost without exception the very attractive candidate will get the job over the average looking person.

If you are strikingly handsome or physically beautiful, your job search will be very short. (Regardless of your technical skills or other aspects of your background.

Well explain all the unattractive women I saw on the bus this morning headed to work?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,870,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Come take a look at my workplace and you'll see that's not happening!
Yeah, we didn't get the memo either.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,072,452 times
A bigger problem is that there isn't a single company in america that will train somebody on the job. Especially high school/GED graduates. They all say they need someone willing to learn, but it's all smoke and mirrors. They can't even respond when someone sends in an application or a resume, or worse, someone treks for an interview and is left in the dust as far as offers go.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,296,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well explain all the unattractive women I saw on the bus this morning headed to work?
Ya, but I bet they weren't heading to the best paying jobs. I see all kinds of women walking to work in the morning, but when I go inside an office of a desired corporation or business, all I see is beautiful women. Especially in large urban areas like Chicago, New York, etc. I actually see more good looking women in some offices than I do out at a decent bar on weekends. Those women you saw were probably heading to their administrative jobs or service industry jobs. Or you weren't in an urban area where there are a large concentration of good jobs.

Plus she's a recruiter. You think she's lying?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,479,931 times
Do you know anyone who is strikingly beautiful or handsome who is a long term unemployed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or