U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 5,019,013 times

Advertisements

I think I'm average, slightly overweight, haven't really had a problem. It's how you carry yourself as well. If you dress well, have good hygiene, etc, you'll do well.

Obviously don't apply to A&F if you aren't drop dead gorgeous! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,053,795 times
Trendy, upscale retail stores and eateries tend to focus on looks when hiring. I have seen ads for sales positions requesting photos.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,318,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I think I'm average, slightly overweight, haven't really had a problem. It's how you carry yourself as well. If you dress well, have good hygiene, etc, you'll do well.

Obviously don't apply to A&F if you aren't drop dead gorgeous! lol.
I've seen slightly overweight girls do well that we're still attractive in the face and could cover up their weight.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,754,003 times
You sure about that? How come all those "beautiful" wannabe actors, singers, and models are struggling? The successful (careerwise) people I've known who are self made are average at best... white collar, left brain types, CEOs, lawyers, doctors.

Most wealth is centered around average looks.

I think "good looks" only help with service industry jobs like restaurants and retail. And in those cases only certain restaurants and retail.. usually trendy spots.. but the pay isn't much better than the average joes at walmart.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM

108 posts, read 238,474 times
It is simply instinctive human nature.
Humans do ultimately make the selection of who gets hired.
I doubt it matters if the the human resources person or hiring manager is average looking in a JANE HATHAWAY sort of way.(she was the character who was bank president, Milburn Drysdale's executive assistant and office manager on BEVERLY HILLBILLIES tv show '62-'71)
or if the hiring manager resembles BARNEY FIFE (bumbling doofus deputy on Andy Griffith show from '60-'66)
Still normal average looking folks have a built in RADAR system in their DNA or whatever and it makes no difference if the person is 14 years old or 114 years old and still mentally functioning with acceptable eyesight.......we still get that nice feelin when we see something that looks really good to us.

Attractiveness or looks can make a huge difference! Don't think it does not.
While we are largely set from birth thanks to our parents, on our significant features/characteristics.
We all do strive to look nice at some point in our lives. Sadly, some seem to let themselves go and have no pride and refuse to take ownership of letting themselves go. Yes, I'm targeting men here and this is the hard truth. Yes, you let that 34 inch waist line that you had at age 20 in college, balloon to a 46 inch waist. Personal responsibility and it applies to both women and men. I'm going to say this and though it might not be PC, it needs to be said. If you are more than 25 pounds overweight, it is your problem. Nobody pointed a gun at your head and said EAT UP all the time and made you eat the awful fatty garbage that you ate. Yes, it didn't happen overnight. Couch potatoes need to put down the chips and tv remote and get up off of their asses, and at least walk 1 mile or two around the block daily. Drink water, eat veggies and lay off the Cokes/Pepsis and fast food. You are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY! Take ownership.
This will probably become more of a reality than anyone wants to admit: FAT PEOPLE WILL FACE ADDED PROBLEMS WHEN SEEKING EMPLOYMENT IN THE FUTURE THAN TODAY BECAUSE OF EVER ESCALATING GROUP HEALTH INSURANCE COSTS!
If you SMOKE and are FAT, you are currently less ATTRACTIVE than you can be in both a physical visual--first hand sighted view from a prospective employer as well as unattractive/undesireable from a "unit-cost" perspective from a potential employer. I don't know how else to say it. You hold the power to Change things IF YOU ARE FAT, OUT OF SHAPE and SMOKE!! Making excuses and blaming who knows what for Your Problem is not going to get results. Get moving and off of your arse and with your MD and join a gym if you want, walk, exercise, eat better.........If you don't it won't be any easier.
It burns me up that it isn't PC, too tell it like it is to quote Howard. Just like Monday night when Howard spoke, he usually rubbed some the wrong way but was sincere and honest. We need more of that today. Parents and Grandparents need to be parents and not view children as free thinking mini adults. Sit up straight, you can't go out of the house looking lot that, you don't want to eat like a pig because you don't want to look like one either.....say yes maam, no maam, thank you, yes sir, no sir, excuse me, teach young boys/men to open doors for ladies, teach personal responsibility and importance of doing one's very best and being honest, dependable, trustworthy, and punctual.
Simple things that we've forgotten along the way.

Yes, LOOKS do help if one has the other prerequisites necessary for the position. Like it or not an engaging outgoing personality and above average looks and and average intelligence will likely be chosen over the brilliant timid genius who has trouble communicating in commonly understood language.

Men: you spot the fine little 5' 2" 106 lb honey with all the curves and the angelic face and shiny pretty hair. she is going to leave a more memorable impression than the 5'2" 148 lb severly overweight gal. Ditto, if it is a choice between a fit gentleman of 6' 180 lbs and a plump fellow of 5 11" and 260 lbs. This is simply instinctive! It is how we are wired.
Looks matter. STAY IN GOOD SHAPE and put your best foot forward.
Ladies, dressing cheap like a two-bit hooker in tight revealing clothing will do you know good! Likewise, too much make-up and hair color that has been let go to show 1 inch roots will make you look bad, as will light/platinum blonde hair color when your complexion/skin tone is not complimentary to blond......stick with darker color choices...............good hairstyle can make the best of your assets and limit your minor flaws.

You can ignore it and say Looks don't matter, but if you don't strive to look your best, you are cheating yourself. Lose the pounds, get fit, simply doing that will give you better than average looks.

Ever wonder why most pharmaceutical sales reps are attractive young women? Simply because it is easier to get male doctors to make time to see them.
Just like advertising, you are not going to see a breakfast cereal commercial with a fat family with the kids with buck-teeth and the mom wearing a tent sized robe. Fat might be cool on Mike & Molly or Jake and The Fatman, but it turns off potential buyers.
You likely won't see anything except pretty ladies doing Shampoo commercials or in car advertisements or doing toothpaste commercials. Anybody think that anyone would take a Michelin tire man shaped candidate who runs for President seriously. Answer: Absolutely Not! Most will question such a fat person's ability to handle the stress and physical demands of the job. Out of shape slobs need not apply until they have proven they can get their "own house" in order before thinking about the white house. Is this unfair? No It is reasonable to question one's personal responsibility to look after oneself. Questions as to discipline, determination and willpower will always come front and center.

It isn't that "Employers want Beautiful People" it is simply that all of us as humans have a built-in instinctive thing that seems to prefer Beautiful over Average, and to detest far less than Average in relation to the Beautiful one.
It does sound harsh. I know that, but that I think in a nutshell is why!
So get off your rumps and begin a regimen to get to look your best by getting in shape. Get a new hair-do and strive to look your best by having clothes that fit and look nice but please do get fit. If not for yourself, do it for all the loved ones in your life! You want to be healthy enough to be around to see your kids grow-up.... To your health! and beauty too

Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,826,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
Wanted: men that look like a younger version of Mitt Romney or women that look like a Anchor on FoxNews or a beauty contestant.

As a long term recruiter in the staffing industry, very few of my clients will actually ask specifically for a "beautiful person" but they have their code words and almost without exception the very attractive candidate will get the job over the average looking person.

If you are strikingly handsome or physically beautiful, your job search will be very short. (Regardless of your technical skills or other aspects of your background.
As someone in a small business I would much rather have someone willing to follow instructions and show up (On time might be asking too much).

Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,344,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
Wanted: men that look like a younger version of Mitt Romney or women that look like a Anchor on FoxNews or a beauty contestant.

As a long term recruiter in the staffing industry, very few of my clients will actually ask specifically for a "beautiful person" but they have their code words and almost without exception the very attractive candidate will get the job over the average looking person.

If you are strikingly handsome or physically beautiful, your job search will be very short. (Regardless of your technical skills or other aspects of your background.
Life isn't fair.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,503,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Plus she's a recruiter. You think she's lying?
Yeah, she must be telling the truth about being a recruiter. Her username is "A recruiter" and they have a long track history. It's not like I can create a username as "A sr recruiter" and start a thread now.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM

12 posts, read 16,899 times
I know there are plenty of plain and ugly people out there working at companies all over America and some how they are earning a paycheck. But my point is the best non STEM jobs at the top companies that are highly sought after are far more likely to go to a beautiful person than someone who is plain. Looks always pass credentials in the hiring process for the best jobs at the best companies, especially if the job is highly visible and puts the person in front of the public as a representative of the company.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,318,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
As someone in a small business I would much rather have someone willing to follow instructions and show up (On time might be asking too much).
Obviously, but thats a cop out from addressing the question. What about when you have 1000+ applicants who can follow instructions and show up? Then how do you choose. Plus when your interviewing someone you don't always know who is going to follow instructions better or show up more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or