U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,484,458 times

Advertisements

Please don't feed the troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,426,903 times
I can see wanting attractive people for receptionist positions. It makes a certain cruel sense ...

Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM

10,391 posts, read 9,403,673 times
I am average looking and it did not affect me finding work; however, that being said - it was very obvious that the 'foxy' gals were given the most attention at work. We had this one manager who stopped in our dept now and then to chat; and the only ones he spoke too were the 'glam gals'. The rest of us were completely invisible to him . . . but I just 'considered the source'.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 PM

218 posts, read 248,580 times
Good-looking people have it easier in life? Wow, what a surprise.

Women rate good-looking guys as funnier. Which is more likely: good-looking guys actually have more wit, or that women have a more positive response to jokes when they're delivered by a handsome guy??? The latter, of course. I know a lot of ugly guys who are super intelligent and can crack jokes that I think are hilarious, yet I doubt any woman has ever described them as a "funny guy."

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
because of our utter contempt of unions our job seekers are under the 8 ball. they think that civil rights laws will make employers tow the mark. LOL. employers are in a position to make pretty much any demands and get them.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,299,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
because of our utter contempt of unions our job seekers are under the 8 ball. they think that civil rights laws will make employers tow the mark. LOL. employers are in a position to make pretty much any demands and get them.
YA! We need unions to protect all the ugly people!?!??!?! An ugly people's union in the making?? LOL

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,426,903 times
What would they call this "ugly people" union?
U.G.H.? Y.U.C.K.?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM

805 posts, read 1,013,088 times
Only in fiction do employers choose the least attractive candidate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RnDmTkhwMs

Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,784,204 times
Unfortunately, many workplace studies have come to the same conclusion. Looks + people skills are an important predictor of promotion. For some years, I worked closely to the top of the US Federal Government in the US. I hardly ever saw a bad looking woman, even in science advisory positions in Congress or the White House and the ones I did were often far better at their jobs then the average male or female staffer. They had to be. For example, for all his love of climate science, Al Gore was a bathing beauty guy. Women Senate and House members generally seemed to favor brains and effectiveness in their staffers more than their male counterparts.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 AM

774 posts, read 1,425,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Here in Massachusetts, I notice the more tomboyish athletic women are promoted into the higher level and non traditional positions. The beautiful women have a slight advantage on getting into entry level jobs. There seems to be a mass exodus of the beautiful women between the ages of 28 and 35 marrying financially secure men and becoming SAHMs out in the suburbs. These women re-enter the workforce as real estate agents, owners of boutique businesses or run non-profits. I've noticed this to a lesser extreme amongst my Midwestern schoolmates as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
In my experience, physical looks are more important toward getting job offers than they are for getting girlfriends or boyfriends.

In the latter, good looks often make the opposite party freeze-up. but in the safe confines of office buildings, good looks attract managers, colleagues and customers alike. People like to work with good looking people. Note- I'm mostly commenting on white collar office jobs.
These remarks ring true (except I haven't seen people 'freeze up' when confronted with good looks in romantic/sexual situations). But yes, people are attracted to attractive people--that's how we define attractiveness--and people are still people in offices or anywhere else.

However it's hard to use your good looks to goose your SAT score, to help you get into that good college--or your résumé, to help you land that first interview with a new company.

And in most fields, even good-looking people have to produce results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or