U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,297,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There are far more ugly people than "beautiful people" in the senior ranks at the Fortune 500 companies. These guys are not being mistaken for George Clooney or Robert Redford, while dining out in their regular clothes. The suit and tie gives them a well-groomed professional appearance.

When I look at the AVPs, VPs, managers and supervisors, I see very few lookers. I see more beautiful servers at the local bar than in management positions.

When you go to the bottom of the salary scale, waitresses, secretaries, and retail sales people have more beautiful people than ugly people.

For men, attractive= tall. There are far more tall men in senior positions. 30% of CEO's are above 6'2". 90% are taller than average. And don't confuse age with looks. Many in senior positions are older, but good looking for their ages. The people who look good in low skilled positions look good because they are younger and they don't pay much because those positions don't require an education and not every young good looking person has a collee degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM

27,381 posts, read 15,811,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Trollhard View Post
I agree with the OP. Employers are looking for people who stand out from the other candidates; this is just another method of weeding out undesirable candidates.
It is and it seems like a sick idea. I mean people can't exactly control their looks. Genes play in effect as well as injuries and medical conditions.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM

11,583 posts, read 13,643,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Come take a look at my workplace and you'll see that's not happening!
Right!! Agreed.
Skillz and experience trump all at my job.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,607,182 times
Lol, just got a new job out of college. i am the best looking one there(also the youngest). doesn't say much because i am not exactly a prize to look at either

Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 PM

774 posts, read 1,425,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
For men, attractive= tall. There are far more tall men in senior positions. 30% of CEO's are above 6'2". 90% are taller than average.
Cite for this please? Because at the very highest levels (Forbes 400) there are a surprising number of really short guys.

Quote:
And don't confuse age with looks. Many in senior positions are older, but good looking for their ages. The people who look good in low skilled positions look good because they are younger and they don't pay much because those positions don't require an education and not every young good looking person has a collee degree
Agreed.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 901,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
Employers should be able to hire whoever they want. If they want to hire an attractive person over an unattractive person, let them. If they want to hire only males, or females, or whites, or blacks, let them. This is why I feel affirmative action is stupid. Why should there be quotas for minorities or any other group of people? Employers should be able to make their own hiring decisions without interference from Big Daddy Government.
How about hiring them based on how good their job application, CV, cover letter, and job interview goes, and the SKILLS they can offer? Where do looks come into that? Looks/race/sex shouldn't come into the equation at all unless the employer is an idiot, and probably somebody I wouldn't want to work with anyway. And who says the government has to have anything to do with it? Talk about go from one extreme to the other. What a load of nonsense.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,378,456 times
I'll tell you what. The worst thing is to be an older person seeking a non professional job in a tough labor market. For most of my life I worked as a professional and looks really didn't enter into the equation. However, I am now disabled and can only work less demanding, lower level jobs - and only part time at that. In addition, I'm over 50. I got my last job as a motel relief clerk/night auditor through a friend. I was laid off through no fault of my own due to a change in management. I have blitzed this town and the next with resumes and gotten a couple of interviews for night auditor positions. But the people who get hired as desk clerks at most motels and hotels around here seem to be cute girls in their twenties. Employers want some nice looking kid and they don't care about skills since it takes maybe 15 minutes to learn a desk clerk job.

My next door neighbor is also over 50 and looking for a job. Again, he has worked as a professional for most of his career. But due to budget cuts and the economy, he has had a very hard time finding work in his own field. Out of desperation, he has been applying for anything - minimum wage jobs, whatever. Nothing and he's been out of work for a year. He's a great guy, a hard worker, sense of humor, etc. But he's "old." Age can be a real barrier to employment in many cases.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 AM

10,529 posts, read 8,778,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Um, I think there are more than a few women who have gone to the top in the judicial branch and executive cabinet in modern times without being a model (Janet Reno).
yes, you're right. I should have made that clear. I was talking primarily about staffers. Perhaps you've seen the danish series "Borger" on TV? It is quite realistic. Compare that with "The West Wing". We have four out of 7-8 parties led by women, one of them the current "Prime Minister", two in her majority and the leader of our "ultra-populist" party. More than 1/3 of the ministers in the last two ruling parties have been women.

Thank you for your correction.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,297,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
How about hiring them based on how good their job application, CV, cover letter, and job interview goes, and the SKILLS they can offer? Where do looks come into that? Looks/race/sex shouldn't come into the equation at all unless the employer is an idiot, and probably somebody I wouldn't want to work with anyway. And who says the government has to have anything to do with it? Talk about go from one extreme to the other. What a load of nonsense.
Ya, but what happens when there are 100 applicants with equal qualifications? And usually the job interview and looks go hand in hand. I think looks are more of a subconscious thing and less of a "lets hire this person because they are more attractive."

Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM

6,106 posts, read 7,276,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I'll tell you what. The worst thing is to be an older person seeking a non professional job in a tough labor market. For most of my life I worked as a professional and looks really didn't enter into the equation. However, I am now disabled and can only work less demanding, lower level jobs - and only part time at that. In addition, I'm over 50. I got my last job as a motel relief clerk/night auditor through a friend. I was laid off through no fault of my own due to a change in management. I have blitzed this town and the next with resumes and gotten a couple of interviews for night auditor positions. But the people who get hired as desk clerks at most motels and hotels around here seem to be cute girls in their twenties. Employers want some nice looking kid and they don't care about skills since it takes maybe 15 minutes to learn a desk clerk job.

My next door neighbor is also over 50 and looking for a job. Again, he has worked as a professional for most of his career. But due to budget cuts and the economy, he has had a very hard time finding work in his own field. Out of desperation, he has been applying for anything - minimum wage jobs, whatever. Nothing and he's been out of work for a year. He's a great guy, a hard worker, sense of humor, etc. But he's "old." Age can be a real barrier to employment in many cases.
I go to a job hunting group several times a month. Nearly all the time everyone in the room is an over 50 man. Several of these men are well put together, athletic, articulate, skilled, could give Mitt Romney competition in the looks department. Once is awhile a skinny less attractive under 40 male will stroll in. Who do you think lands a new job in a few weeks? I have acquaintances and friends of all ages. Noone I know under 40 is unemployed and many are job jumping to new and better jobs every two years. Some are severely overweight, some aren't clean and some are short, skinny men barely over 5' tall.

I think the OP may be mixing up beautiful with young, wearing a trendy haircut and clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or