U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Reputation: 4358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
Employers should be able to hire whoever they want. If they want to hire an attractive person over an unattractive person, let them. If they want to hire only males, or females, or whites, or blacks, let them. This is why I feel affirmative action is stupid. Why should there be quotas for minorities or any other group of people? Employers should be able to make their own hiring decisions without interference from Big Daddy Government.
If that ever happened most of the US population would remain unemployed!

This is despicable. To tell potential employees they need degrees, and then not hire them because they are not "beautiful" is shameful at best! you all HRs should be ashamed of yourselves! This kind of shallow mentality only shows complete lack of common sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM
 
218 posts, read 248,133 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
If that ever happened most of the US population would remain unemployed!

This is despicable. To tell potential employees they need degrees, and then not hire them because they are not "beautiful" is shameful at best! you all HRs should be ashamed of yourselves! This kind of shallow mentality only shows complete lack of common sense!
You said 2 different things:

(1) It's shameful
(2) It's nonsensical

The first is a value statement; the second isn't. So, what exactly is your beef with hiring good-looking people, whether consciously or subconsciously? Is it because you think it's "wrong" or because you think it's impractical from a business standpoint? And who are you to tell a business what is practically best for them? Maybe a business thinks that image, people who represent the face of the business, is very important and makes the business more profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 03:48 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,291,726 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
If that ever happened most of the US population would remain unemployed!

This is despicable. To tell potential employees they need degrees, and then not hire them because they are not "beautiful" is shameful at best! you all HRs should be ashamed of yourselves! This kind of shallow mentality only shows complete lack of common sense!
Well they are telling people they need degrees, and they are obviously hiring someone. The people not getting hired don't know why. It could be for one reason, or a combination of reasons. A certain weight might be assigned to being "beautiful", but there are certainly other factors they consider also. The corporate offices with the best paying jobs seem to have the most "beautiful" people, so they must be doing something right or they would not be in business and offices with the overweight, short and ugly people would be overtaking corporate America.

And just think, your spending 40+ hours a week with these people. Probably more than with your family. I'd much rather be surrounded by beautiful women who also happen to be smart and educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
30,013 posts, read 16,602,555 times
Reputation: 22590
Good Looks never hurt anyone! Actually, in my industry it's not all that common.

Some managers actually seem to shy away from hiring young, good-looking people. I wasn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
Reputation: 4920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
For men, attractive= tall. There are far more tall men in senior positions. 30% of CEO's are above 6'2". 90% are taller than average. And don't confuse age with looks. Many in senior positions are older, but good looking for their ages. The people who look good in low skilled positions look good because they are younger and they don't pay much because those positions don't require an education and not every young good looking person has a collee degree
Robert Redford was born in 1936. He is turning 77, next month, and still looks good. They are 40-something ugly men that Robert Redford(77 yrs old) and Clooney(52 yrs old) would put to shame. I have met VPs from JP Morgan Chase for job interviews. I have seen other VPs from clients in the banking and finance industry. Most of them are overweight and average looking. They are no more dorky or better shape than the average guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,291,726 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Robert Redford was born in 1936. He is turning 77, next month, and still looks good. They are 40-something ugly men that Robert Redford(77 yrs old) and Clooney(52 yrs old) would put to shame. I have met VPs from JP Morgan Chase for job interviews. I have seen other VPs from clients in the banking and finance industry. Most of them are overweight and average looking. They are no more dorky or better shape than the average guy.
1. My post was regarding height.

2. Looks are subjective and I can't argue about something you said you saw.

3. Studies say that you are wrong, or that your isolated anecdote does not reflect the reality.
[url=http://www.today.com/id/49350507/ns/today-money/t/hey-good-lookin-your-job-outlook-lookin-good/]Attractive people see greater success at work - Money - TODAY.com[/url]
[url=http://www.afr.com/p/national/infographic_top_ceos_head_and_shoulders_5lOURoTbdu dAoKwv9EW6IK]Infographic | Top 50 CEOs head and shoulders above the rest[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 10,206,353 times
Reputation: 3800
My manager only hires fairly attractive outgoing people with connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,926,165 times
Reputation: 4008
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that since people tend to view tall people as more intelligent, more authoritative, etc, that having more exec-level men who are tall is self-selecting.

If you hired a few guys into a company at the same level, and one was 5'7" and the other was 6'1", it's very likely that their various peers, direct reports, and managers over the years will rate the taller guy as a better performer. He'll be given more opportunities, and will have the chance to develop a better resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,291,726 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that since people tend to view tall people as more intelligent, more authoritative, etc, that having more exec-level men who are tall is self-selecting.

If you hired a few guys into a company at the same level, and one was 5'7" and the other was 6'1", it's very likely that their various peers, direct reports, and managers over the years will rate the taller guy as a better performer. He'll be given more opportunities, and will have the chance to develop a better resume.
I agree, from personal experience. I have always been tall, but as a teen I was skinny, nerdy, and clumsy. I got picked on a lot. I noticed that people always gave me the doubt of the doubt so to speak when it came to everything. Sports, intelligence, hearing what I had to say. I was always a good baseball player, but I felt like I always got cut because I didn't fit that image of a jock.

Well fast forward to now and I am still tall, but I filled out and matured and most people consider me attractive for a male. I'm the same person I was as a kid, but people always give me the benefit of the doubt. They hear me out, take me seriously when I talk, assume I'm smarter than I am a lot of times, and assume I have a real good job. I KNOW that people treat me differently now.

There have also been instances in college and new jobs where I am always sitting down before other people arrive to class/work, and we're never standing side by side. Well I swear by this, but when we eventually stand side by side they say, "I never knew you were so tall." Well I swear by it that I notice from that point forward that they treat or talk to me a little differently when they realize how tall I am. I'm sorry, but its true.

And this does give more attractive people better opportunities and therefore unfair opportunities to further develop their skills and knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 PM
 
Location: The Old Dominion
774 posts, read 1,423,308 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Cite for this please? Because at the very highest levels (Forbes 400) there are a surprising number of really short guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well I swear by it that I notice from that point forward that they treat or talk to me a little differently when they realize how tall I am. I'm sorry, but its true.
That's not a very good cite

Quote:
And this does give more attractive people better opportunities and therefore unfair opportunities to further develop their skills and knowledge.
You keep conflating height with good looks, and excoriating others (right above) for doing so.

Here's a typical short-guy boss. He hates tall people and you wouldn't want to work for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/bu...e-america.html

Have a look at the Forbes 400. A lot of them are short, and many (such as Sheldon Adelson and Michael Bloomberg) are very short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top