U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM

14 posts, read 25,608 times

Advertisements

Yes, of course, there are JOBS out there. But I work in a somewhat specialized industry, and the available jobs in my field that are within driving distance of my home are all at least two career steps backward. And the jobs that are posted are all reporting to people who used to report to me at one time or another. The salary ranges for these jobs would also be in the neighborhood of a 35% pay cut over what I was making.

Am I expected to apply for these jobs as part of my work search activity? (I'm in Massachusetts.) I've been networking and reaching out to people I've worked with in the past, but haven't actually applied to a job posting yet.

I will receive vacation pay and severance from my old job in the amount of around 7 weeks combined. Do I need to keep a job search activity log for the weeks that I'm not eligible for unemployment? I'm still looking for work, just curious as to whether I need to keep the log.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,474,938 times
Consider relocation.
Consider reinventing yourself (learn new skills)
Consider using the same skills in a different way (for example, if you are an engineer doing technical work, maybe you could use the same skill so sell the product)

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickets View Post
But I work in a somewhat specialized industry, and...
You know how so many unemployed people go around calling themselves "consultants"?
Well.. some of them actually manage to do that. Try.

Otherwise... translate your special skill into a different industry altogether or start from scratch.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

7,384 posts, read 11,551,642 times
Are you asking for the purpose of filling the unemployment quota to show them you've been looking for a job or are you asking because you really want a job? It sounds like the former.

If it is, then just apply to anything that is somewhat related to your field and fill that in on the unemployment form.

On the other hand, if you are concerned about getting a real job, then you may have bigger issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

5,619 posts, read 8,551,029 times
I'm continually shocked by the number or people who expect EXACTLY what they want, within an EXACT distance from their home.

People wonder why I'm successful:

I do many things, and I'll do it in many places.

Like everyone did in history till recently...

Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM

Sounds like the way I worded it made it sound like I'm not actively looking for work. My own fault! Believe me, I am looking. I'm also pursuing alternate types of work like freelancing and consultant work. The thing is, my work search doesn't really involve applying to job postings, it's been more a matter of networking... calling and emailing my own network, attending an event that is related to my field, etc. Not much in the way of "Hey, this job looks good, I'll send my resume to the HR department." Mostly because as I said, the actual job postings are for lower level jobs.

I meant to post this to the unemployment board because my primary question revolves around whether that's actually OK for unemployment purposes (logging my job search activity) or whether I have to document sending resumes for job postings.

I'm actually in talks with someone about a freelance job that I'm hoping will make the unemployment unnecessary relatively soon. But for now, I just want to make sure I'm complying with what I need to do so that I'm eligible for unemployment in case I need it after my back vacation pay and severance run out and before the new works kicks in.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM

370 posts, read 620,596 times
If you call your local unemployment office, they will tell you exactly what you need to do. At the very least, you should get registered and read through the multiple copies of mail they will send you.

I can't comment too much on the process because it varies from state to state. I would always recommend working your network the hardest, but you may just want to or need to apply to some online openings because it might be the easiest way to pass an audit when the time comes. Depending on how much you make freelancing, you may or may not still be eligible for partial unemployment benefits. Do not feel bad about taking them; that's why you worked all those years.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
It sounds like you have been working for a long time and moved near the top in your industry. At the management level, executives often have to relocate to get a higher salary/position.

Two years ago, my former employer was sold and laid everybody off. After checking Linkedin, I found that many AVPs to SVPs moved to new cities. Of the ones that stayed local, they made a sideways move to a much smaller company. They likely took a paycut. Some execs moved 3 or 4 times within the last 10 years.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,019,795 times
Let me allay your fears. We are smart stop and think. With all the budget cuts nationwide how many people are available to investigate vs claimants............not enough for sure.

At first I never kept the log even though I applied to 5 a week min.

Then I thought of a good idea and the UE office liked it to. When you get the obligatory thanks for applying e-mail save it in a folder............now you got a log with time and date stamp from the co

Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It sounds like you have been working for a long time and moved near the top in your industry. At the management level, executives often have to relocate to get a higher salary/position.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

I have no problem with a sideways move or taking a job doing something that's related but in a different industry. I've done it before and I enjoyed the challenge. I'd just really rather not take a backwards step unless I really need to financially, just because I honestly think I'd be bored out of my skull. I also think in this job market it's probably tougher to get someone to take a risk on you doing a related job where you would have a learning curve when there are likely people already out there with the specific skills they need. Freelancing is my probably going to end up being my best bet for now until the right position comes along.

Oh, and Massachusetts just revamped their systems so getting through to ANYONE online or by phone is pretty close to impossible right now. I'm going to their orientation session this week though so I'll ask my questions there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or