U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,438,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't know, i think there's a balance between that kind of intensive research and just mass-mailing resumes with no thought to the company or position. i don't know what you do for a living; i'm sure that affects the methods that work for you. but for me, an hour or so of research and tailoring my application to the position was plenty. i was looking in areas where i don't have much of a network, so networking was out for most of the positions. i can't imagine spending months on one application - there are a lot of companies/organizations where i could work.
To each his own, but my way has always worked for me. I try to get to know a company as well as possible, and more often than not they approach me asking me to work for them before I even submit a resume. I continually do this, even when not looking for a job and I am approached by someone asking me to interview about once every month as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,144,466 times
Quote:
.....math......

Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM

I sent out a little over 100 resumes and online applications in the course of a month. Interviewed at 5 or 6 companies, both in person and by phone. Got two offers. I was laid off March 8 and was working again on April 22. I'm still getting follow up calls and emails.

Field is IT. Phoenix. 28 years experience.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
.....math......

I should have said my goal was 5 a week but I was never ever able to meet that number. The most I had in a week was 3 I think for the entire year

January-1

Feb-1

March-1

April-0

may-0

June-0

July-2..................same week

August-0

September-1

October-1

November-1

December-job search ended

Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM

74 posts, read 223,130 times
Quote:
i don't know, i think there's a balance between that kind of intensive research and just mass-mailing resumes with no thought to the company or position. i don't know what you do for a living; i'm sure that affects the methods that work for you. but for me, an hour or so of research and tailoring my application to the position was plenty. i was looking in areas where i don't have much of a network, so networking was out for most of the positions. i can't imagine spending months on one application - there are a lot of companies/organizations where i could work.
Agreed. I could understand how a Nuclear Scientist or a Professor of Psychiatry could spend weeks/months preparing for one application. However, for the greater population, I think that it's uncommon and almost bizarre. Especially when most people probably work in very standard roles.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,438,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegePalooza View Post
Agreed. I could understand how a Nuclear Scientist or a Professor of Psychiatry could spend weeks/months preparing for one application. However, for the greater population, I think that it's uncommon and almost bizarre. Especially when most people probably work in very standard roles.
I don't spend months on the application. I spend months learning new skills that benefit a specific company as well as getting to know people in that company personally. The actual act of creating the resume/filling out an application is secondary. You get the job because of the new skills you build and because of the network you created, not because of the resume you send in.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I should have said my goal was 5 a week but I was never ever able to meet that number. The most I had in a week was 3 I think for the entire year
So you really did only apply for eight jobs in an entire year?

Allow me to go out on a limb here and suggest that may have been why it took you so long.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM

9,021 posts, read 8,440,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For the kind of specialized work I do there were never that many local openings to apply for, I probably sent out 8 over 6 months and had interviews at 5 of them. The one I got started at $56k and after 4 years with 2 promotions am at about $80k.
My experience is similar. I was scouted for my last job, so no applications. For my current position I sent about 15-20 applications over an 8 month period. That resulted in about 12 phone interviews, which in turn led to 6 in person interviews, 2 offers and I declined a 7th in person interview.

I too am in a pretty obscure field and my search was national.

I did submit about 20 applications that were outside my main field. Those led to 2 initial interviews, both of which rejected me.

After a bit more than a year I have been promoted.

This just shows differences in seniority and type of field. Like Hemlock, I am paid a reasonably nice salary, but jobs are few and far between. It can be a bit discouraging to look at all the jobs out there, very few of which I am qualified for. Shifting fields significantly would result in a serious drop in salary, and I would have a difficult time even landing interviews because I would be viewed as overqualified.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,221,779 times
I lost track at 100. Though many were no doubt duplicates, hard to tell. In a depression 1000 applications is common.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
So you really did only apply for eight jobs in an entire year?

Allow me to go out on a limb here and suggest that may have been why it took you so long.

The jobs that I was looking for in my field was not posted that often. The plan was to go out of my field in 2013 if I didn't find a job in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search