U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM

12 posts, read 16,851 times

Advertisements

At the company I work as a recruiter for (a very large company with offices all over the world) one of the crazy requests the hiring managers ask for is for the recruiters to look into the finalists LinkedIn profiles.

They are looking for two things:

1) A very well written profile with a full description of the applicants background including significant information on what they accomplished above and beyond their job descriptions. Accomplishments are taken far more seriously than the tasks they did.

(I CAN UNDERSTAND THIS, seems logical)

2) How many people are they linked to on LinkedIn? And who are they on the organizational chart. Are his/her contacts lower level people or are they people who count? They want us to count up the number of contacts who have the titles Manager/Director/Vice President in comparison to non management.

(If the finalist is not on LinkedIn then a red flag goes up and the hiring manager assume they have something to hide or are not social or are not into technology!

Last edited by A Recruiter; 07-11-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,518,245 times
That makes the title of your thread totally misleading.

Should be "Employers like to see valuable LinkedIn contacts". Which makes sense - do you want to hire someone with the ability to connect to people in leadership roles, or the person who used the "find your contacts" feature from their gmail account?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,047,769 times
Recruiters like the LinkedIn contact lists, so they can 'network'
I do have random people, even from outside my state and outside the US linkedin with my, many college students 'padding resumes' or guys wanted to get into my niche market

Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM

12,612 posts, read 15,071,590 times
This is especially true when applying for sales based positions.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM

6,106 posts, read 7,270,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Recruiters like the LinkedIn contact lists, so they can 'network'
I do have random people, even from outside my state and outside the US linkedin with my, many college students 'padding resumes' or guys wanted to get into my niche market
point to GTRdad

Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,409,668 times
I don't have a Linkedin and will not be getting one, so I guess the "red flags" will flying all over the place for me.

You either want me or you don't. If my references and experience aren't good enough for you, then so be it.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM

218 posts, read 248,352 times
That's how I got my two most recent leads: from Indeed.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 PM

1,735 posts, read 6,096,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't have a Linkedin and will not be getting one, so I guess the "red flags" will flying all over the place for me.

You either want me or you don't. If my references and experience aren't good enough for you, then so be it.
Why is this Marilyn? I'm just curious.

If used correctly, LinkedIn is a valuable tool for job search, networking, etc. It's not a social network and shouldn't be used as one. My son is a computer science major and he took a Technical Writing course this past year. One of his assignments was to build out a LinkedIn profile.

I'm just curious why people don't see the value of LinkedIn, but don't hesitate to post their resumes/CVs on Monster, etc. I have to admit that it's not of great value to the blue collar worker and I don't mean that as a slight to the blue collar workforce, but it can be a very valuable portal in the business world.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM

263 posts, read 341,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Why is this Marilyn? I'm just curious.

If used correctly, LinkedIn is a valuable tool for job search, networking, etc. It's not a social network and shouldn't be used as one. My son is a computer science major and he took a Technical Writing course this past year. One of his assignments was to build out a LinkedIn profile.

I'm just curious why people don't see the value of LinkedIn, but don't hesitate to post their resumes/CVs on Monster, etc. I have to admit that it's not of great value to the blue collar worker and I don't mean that as a slight to the blue collar workforce, but it can be a very valuable portal in the business world.
Actually, there are all type of people on LinkedIn doing business. My "handyman" has a LinkedIn profile and uses it to get recommendations on his work and to reach out to former/potential clients. It is also pretty easy to recommend him by sending out his LI profile if I know someone who needs his services.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 PM

1,735 posts, read 6,096,270 times
Point well-taken, Esperanita. Excellent example that hadn't crossed my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or