U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,215,643 times

Advertisements

Well, Ive had interviews where I passed the engineering, Cad, or Tech Writing test and I still didn't get the job. But if you fail a test at any interview you're generally toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM

796 posts, read 697,669 times
I went on a job interview once and they had a room full of us take a test. When they got to me they kept asking me if I was sure I would be happy in that job or if I might want something else. I told them I was excited about the position and thought I could excel in it to the point I would exceed all their expectations. And I, just like the person who was vacating the position would have to get to know the organization before I would know if other jobs, such as the jobs they currently held would be something I would be willing to offer my abilities to. They really just kind of never gave me any answer just saying I scored too high on some areas of the test and that made them think I would not be satisfied in that position.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,776,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I went on a job interview once and they had a room full of us take a test. When they got to me they kept asking me if I was sure I would be happy in that job or if I might want something else. I told them I was excited about the position and thought I could excel in it to the point I would exceed all their expectations. And I, just like the person who was vacating the position would have to get to know the organization before I would know if other jobs, such as the jobs they currently held would be something I would be willing to offer my abilities to. They really just kind of never gave me any answer just saying I scored too high on some areas of the test and that made them think I would not be satisfied in that position.
I have had that happen to me before too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! The crazy thing is that in my case it was for a recruiting coordinator job that I really wanted at the time. After I didn't get it I went back to looking for compliance jobs and got another one. Compliance pays much better, yet here I am 4 years later, applying for recruiting and event planning jobs again. I wish I had just gotten that job 4 years ago!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,189,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was so taken aback, that the most hilariously inappropriate idea came to my mind. I had a sudden, crazy impulse to pick up the pen, close my eyes, and run my tongue up and down the entire length of it!
I couldn't rep you because I just repped you in the Interior Decorating thread and I don't laugh out loud very often when reading things but I laughed at this.

I just recently had an interview. I wanted to study up in some areas that I haven't actually ever worked in and that I really do need refreshers in but I had NO idea what I needed to study. This woman asked me to apply to a position at a big place, I let her know I applied and she called me up an hour or two later (on a Friday) asking if we could do a phone interview on Monday. I said fine. She called me back ten minutes later and said, "Scratch that. We'll need to do the in-person interview on Monday at 9 AM and the phone interview later that day." I didn't even have a chance to ask what I was interviewing for it was so rushed.

Anyway, it wasn't what I was expecting because they are doing things very differently than other places. I was very unprepared for their technical quiz they gave me (though I told them I would be ahead of time) and they were still very nice and understanding about it. I told them that I plan on studying up in the meanwhile because they said there is a chance they could hire me but there are some other things we need to figure out. I actually just texted my friend about this and he said one place let him come back for a second interview (to demonstrated that he improved) and he had so they were okay with him.

The point is---now I know what my weaknesses are and I need to strengthen them. I asked someone to work with me a little bit and I plan on doing some self-study. (Except I just d/l this app and all I have been wanting to do lately is learn German.) And now that you're aware, you can focus on your weak areas as well. Or maybe you can look up types of questions they ask: Programmer and Software Interview Questions and Answers

Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,933,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
God ..... that was awful. I got completely drilled by two different technical interviewers, one after the other, and then the recruiter lady came in the room next and told me they were gonna cut the interview process short because I had failed.

I have no idea what I did wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second guy asked me how to find the median of two sorted arrays. I described two different procedures and he told me I was "completely wrong." He was like staring at me with embarrassment. What the ****? I don't think there's any way that the other interviewees had a better answer than I did. I have no idea what they were looking lol
Sorry to hear it was a bad experience. That's my field, and I've been in plenty of those interviews (on both sides of the desk), so I sympathize.

Do you think there's any chance that you did answer correctly, but they were doing a stress-interview technique by telling you (incorrectly) that you were wrong, to see if you'd stick up for yourself and argue your case?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,776,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Sorry to hear it was a bad experience. That's my field, and I've been in plenty of those interviews (on both sides of the desk), so I sympathize.

Do you think there's any chance that you did answer correctly, but they were doing a stress-interview technique by telling you (incorrectly) that you were wrong, to see if you'd stick up for yourself and argue your case?
I'll admit my only experience with these types of interviews is my husband telling me the questions over dinner and attempting to answer them (I'm in a totally different field so I don't usually do very well); however, that sounds like a horrible interview tactic. I guess it's just what I'm used to, but generally overzealous and argumentative compliance officers don't do well. Maybe it's different in software engineering. My husband is the least confrontational person I know though and does quite well there. He argues when he needs to, of course.

Is that a common tactic in software engineering interviews? It isn't from what I know, but my experience in that is limited to a few companies in the Chicago area.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:42 PM

218 posts, read 248,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Usually, they will just carry on or find a more diplomatic way to end the interview.
To be fair, the full interview was 4 hours, so I don't think it's that bad that they intervened and got me out of there halfway through. And I didn't think I was doing horribly. Caught me by surprise.

Look, they had already given me a preliminary phone technical interview and she said I answered the questions perfectly. I'm not sure what went wrong with the series of in-person interviews I was gonna go through today.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,521,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
I'm not sure what went wrong with the series of in-person interviews I was gonna go through today.
They told you what went wrong. That's the best thing they did - no guessing games.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM

218 posts, read 248,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Everyone has had bad interviews ... take a breath, reflect, and move on.
Finding the median of two sorted arrays is a fairly standard/basic question for SW engineers/programmers so it's not like a trick question or anything. At least they didn't waste anymore of your time when they know for sure you will not advance.
lol I'd never seen this problem and I used a method which does work. I felt good about myself for coming up with it on the spot, even if there is a better way. The funny thing is that he sat there for 20 minutes watching me think aloud as my put together my method .... then I asked if it was sufficient and he said, "No, it's completely wrong."

My procedure, which I explained on the whiteboard:

Suppose we have two arrays,

A = {a(1), a(2), ..., a(m)},
B = {b(1), b(2), ..., b(n)},

with

a(1) ≤ a(2) ≤ ... ≤ a(m),
b(1) ≤ b(2) ≤ ... ≤ b(n)

Set V = min{a(1), a(2)} and count = 1. We iterate until count = (n+m)/2 (where I'm using (n+m)/2 to mean what it means in code language ... the integer division with no remainder part).

If V = a(2) = a(1), then count++ and V = a(2).
If V = a(2) > a(1), then check whether b(1) .......... blah blah blah.

Last edited by GlitteringPrizes; 07-11-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM

841 posts, read 1,084,902 times
A little over a year ago I had a phone interview for a tech position with a very well known company. It's one you all have heard of. It went terribly, from beginning to end. Even though I have a lot of experience in programming, he managed to put his finger right on my areas of weakness. It was so bad that by the end I was left a stammering mess. I was depressed for days.

But just a few weeks later another company interviewed me, and eventually made me a very good offer, and I work there now. It's not as well known as that other place, but it's got great people, and I'm happy to be here. So bad interviews are not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or