U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM

218 posts, read 247,991 times

Advertisements

God ..... that was awful. I got completely drilled by two different technical interviewers, one after the other, and then the recruiter lady came in the room next and told me they were gonna cut the interview process short because I had failed.

I have no idea what I did wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second guy asked me how to find the median of two sorted arrays. I described two different procedures and he told me I was "completely wrong." He was like staring at me with embarrassment. What the ****? I don't think there's any way that the other interviewees had a better answer than I did. I have no idea what they were looking lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 2,827,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
God ..... that was awful. I got completely drilled by two different technical interviewers, one after the other, and then the recruiter lady came in the room next and told me they were gonna cut the interview process short because I had failed.

The second guy asked me how to find the median of two sorted arrays. I described two different procedures and he told me I was "completely wrong." He was like staring at me with embarrassment. What the ****? I don't think there's any way that the other interviewees had a better answer than I did. I have no idea what they were looking lol
What were your solutions?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,261,012 times
Quote:

what kind of interview is this? What kind of job were you applying for? Hey, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like they are A holes and you just dodged a bullet.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
Permanent solution to a temporary problem.

What kind of interview was it.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,765,146 times
It sounds like it was a technical interview, possibly for a programming position?

My husband conducts interviews like that all the time and is very used to candidates not knowing how to answer the questions. So, you are definitely not alone. Don't sweat it. I would probably look up the answers so I knew where I went wrong for future reference. Other than that all you can do is move on.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 PM

218 posts, read 247,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Permanent solution to a temporary problem.

What kind of interview was it.
lol software engineering. I felt so good going into this interview. Had no idea the guy was going to shut me down for no reason that I can tell. I was giving great answers, I thought. Almost felt like some hazing ritual.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
Quote:

OK. You failed this test, got the answer wrong, weren't what they were looking for. At least you found out right away that they were looking for another method, and another person. Plus, you got direct feedback on something you need to work on (either the base knowledge, or the manner in which you described it).

There's literally dozens of threads on this one board that would love to have those two questions answered at the interview - you just happened to get negative answers for both, and that's what hurts. Honestly, it sounds like this would be a great company to work for down the road if they're this direct and honest about everything.

Take the positive from it, brush on the technical and presentation skills and move forward.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM

7,375 posts, read 11,542,544 times
Quote:
You're underqualified for the job.

Although I will say, I have been on MANY interviews, more than you can probably fathom over the years, a decent proportion of those for jobs I was well underqualified for, and they very, very rarely stop the interview short and openly reveal you inadequacy because you are a bad candidate. Usually, they will just carry on or find a more diplomatic way to end the interview.

Though it happened to me twice. Both times I didn't even have the degree that they were seeking, nor any experience in that particular field, but got my foot in the door for the interview somehow. That's how things were when the economy was better. Still, I thought it was kind of rude.

In this economy, you will have a lower success rate for jobs that you ARE qualified for, so keep looking.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Everyone has had bad interviews ... take a breath, reflect, and move on.
Finding the median of two sorted arrays is a fairly standard/basic question for SW engineers/programmers so it's not like a trick question or anything. At least they didn't waste anymore of your time when they know for sure you will not advance.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM

287 posts, read 547,989 times
Keep on pushing OP! Is this the first interview of your series of interviews? Keep on pushing and learn from the previous interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or