Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Is that line a euphemism for something else...like we're second thinking this interview and don't call us we'll call you?...

I've even gotten that line when I've done walk in apps and not from ads,I'm like who else are you interviewing when you didn't even advertise for the job?...

I don't often get interviews,but when I do they usually go well(I think at least). On the most recent one,I was listening to what the guy was saying about how difficult some other applicants were...so I thought I had it in the bag. But alas the way my luck goes,superman interviewed after me
Hmm, I always thought that was a line to get you to lowball your salary when it came up (getting you to think you're competing with other, qualified candidates). Whether or not they really did have other candidates is another thing entirely (ie. you're the last one, you're the only one, or there really are others after you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,789 times
Usually when I get this comment it means that I didn't get the job 9/10. There have rare times where I did get the position when the employer this comment so you just never know.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Hmm, I always thought that was a line to get you to lowball your salary when it came up (getting you to think you're competing with other, qualified candidates).
I was thinking back to any 'mistakes' I could've made during the interview,they pretty much told me the salary and I was ok with it. Only thing I can think of is when they mentioned having to fly on business trips twice a year,I mentioned I haven't flown in awhile...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM

103 posts, read 295,524 times
Quote:
I was thinking back to any 'mistakes' I could've made during the interview,they pretty much told me the salary and I was ok with it. Only thing I can think of is when they mentioned having to fly on business trips twice a year,I mentioned I haven't flown in awhile...
It could have had nothing to do with you or anything you said or didn't say. They could have interviewed someone earlier that day that had some qualification that you don't have, or experience that makes them more attractive. The other interviewee could have other offers pending with other companies and the company you interviewed with felt pressured to make them an offer rather than losing them.

Now that I've been on both sides of the fence (being the candidate that gets rejected in favor of someone else and being the candidate that was selected over others) I really can see that as long as you do your best and put your best foot forward, that's all you can do, the rest is out of your control.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
They're trying to be as politically and legally correct with you as possible.

They don't want to say you didn't get the job because you may sue them for all of their precious money for suspicion of discrimination, yet they don't want to say you got the job because someone else better may actually come along.

So what's the best thing to say to cover all basis while giving you a "truthful, satisfactory" answer, "We're also interviewing other people..."

So is that phrase an euphemism? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, yes. Not to mention it's very impersonal.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound? View Post
It could have had nothing to do with you or anything you said or didn't say. They could have interviewed someone earlier that day that had some qualification that you don't have, or experience that makes them more attractive. The other interviewee could have other offers pending with other companies and the company you interviewed with felt pressured to make them an offer rather than losing them.

Now that I've been on both sides of the fence (being the candidate that gets rejected in favor of someone else and being the candidate that was selected over others) I really can see that as long as you do your best and put your best foot forward, that's all you can do, the rest is out of your control.
yeah, this is always important to remember. you can be as awesome as you can possibly be and there still might be someone who has a qualification or personal quality that you don't. never mind that people sometimes get chosen over other people for reasons that DON'T make sense, or aren't quantifiable. like the hm just likes the other person better, or the person went to their alma mater, or something like that. or you might be super proficient in qualification A but another candidate is super proficient is qualification B and they decided they value B more. or you might not believe in pestering hiring managers for follow-ups, and they think people who do that are showing initiative. or you do contact them a lot and they get annoyed with you and think you're going to be a high maintenance employee.

obviously you should work hard to be the best candidate that you can be, but you have to accept that that's not always going to be good enough, that sometimes you won't be a fit with the company culture even if you are qualified, and that different hms are looking for different things. otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
They're trying to be as politically and legally correct with you as possible.

They don't want to say you didn't get the job because you may sue them for all of their precious money for suspicion of discrimination, yet they don't want to say you got the job because someone else better may actually come along.

So what's the best thing to say to cover all basis while giving you a "truthful, satisfactory" answer, "We're also interviewing other people..."

So is that phrase an euphemism? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, yes. Not to mention it's very impersonal.
i'm not sure what context you are thinking of when you say this. like, under what circumstances would someone be giving "we are interviewing other people" as an answer to a question with the intent of not implicating themselves in a discrimination case or making a job offer on the spot?

in my experience, "we are also interviewing other candidates" is generally volunteered during early interviews, or sometimes if you follow up asking when a decision will be made. usually it's a part of discussing the interview timeline. like "we are interviewing some other candidates this week, we will get back to you next week with the next steps" or whatever. it's not a situation where they'd otherwise be forced to tell you you got the job or you didn't, so i don't see your logic here.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
It also provides the employer some leverage in salary negotiations. You might not be so inclined to play hardball with them on salary/wages if you realize that there are other candidates lined up right behind you.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Is that line a euphemism for something else...like we're second thinking this interview and don't call us we'll call you?...
That's exactly what it means.

Don't hold your breath waiting on a call... you won't get one. That's how it's been for me anyway. Every time I've heard "We're interviewing other people" over the years I've never gotten the job... or even a call back.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm not sure what context you are thinking of when you say this. like, under what circumstances would someone be giving "we are interviewing other people" as an answer to a question with the intent of not implicating themselves in a discrimination case or making a job offer on the spot?

in my experience, "we are also interviewing other candidates" is generally volunteered during early interviews, or sometimes if you follow up asking when a decision will be made. usually it's a part of discussing the interview timeline. like "we are interviewing some other candidates this week, we will get back to you next week with the next steps" or whatever. it's not a situation where they'd otherwise be forced to tell you you got the job or you didn't, so i don't see your logic here.
By giving that response, it's implied that they're not going to get a straight "yes" or "no" answer regarding if they got the job or not on the spot. If you say you're interviewing other candidates, you apparently haven't made a decision, thus you can't make a job offer to me. Just as well, if you say you're interviewing other candidates, if I wasn't chosen, it could simply be because another candidate was better qualified, not necessarily you saw me and discovered I was black or Mexican and said "h*** no!!!" Of course, there would be no way for me to prove it, as I wasn't given a straight answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search