U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Over many years of hiring I would end the interview with something along the lines of, "Thanks so much for your interest. I've a few more people to see but I enjoyed talking to you and I'll definitely be in touch one way or the other within a week." It seemed a perfectly normal thing to say, nobody ever looked at me even slightly sideways for saying it - and I ALWAYS called EVERYONE back as promised, whether they were the successful candidate or not.

When I've been in the applicant position it's been said to me similarly many times...
What happened with you doesn't necessarily apply to what happened with everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
What happened with you doesn't necessarily apply to what happened with everyone else.
I didn't intimate otherwise. Just as when some posters say something to the effect of, "every time someone's said that to me I never got the job" doesn't translate to that being a generality of truth which applies to everyone and every circumstance.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Over many years of hiring I would end the interview with something along the lines of, "Thanks so much for your interest. I've a few more people to see but I enjoyed talking to you and I'll definitely be in touch one way or the other within a week." It seemed a perfectly normal thing to say, nobody ever looked at me even slightly sideways for saying it - and I ALWAYS called EVERYONE back as promised, whether they were the successful candidate or not.

When I've been in the applicant position it's been said to me similarly many times and I've never given it a second thought either negatively or positively. Some things are just very simple and not everything has to be analyzed to death.
exactly.

interviewers are not all speaking in secret code all the time, and they're all different anyway. there's not a training camp where they all go to learn consistent ways to send subliminal messages to applicants. people are better or worse at interviewing, people say MASSIVELY ILLOGICAL things (like questions that are begging for a discrimination suit, or things that are just really inappropriate) while interviewing. trying to say "when the interviewer says THIS they really mean THIS" is a futile effort because there are always going to be tons of exceptions.

in conclusion, humans are weird, and trying to make simple rules about human behavior is a fool's game.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
1. because you want to give the person an idea of your timeline (ie we are interviewing for the rest of this week and contacting people for second interviews/offering someone the job next week).
2. because you just said it and you didn't really think about it.

what's the reason to NOT tell them? do you think interviewers think they are going to scare a good candidate off if they mention that there is more than one person interviewing? there is almost ALWAYS more than one person interviewing! unless it's an internal hire and the interview is just a formality, you'd have to be pretty stupid or have a pretty tiny and crappy group of applicants to only be interviewing one person, at least in the first round. what's the big deal about acknowledging the truth?

i mean, my job search and the job i was offered have broken almost every one of your "rules". i must be the most statistically unlikely person ever to exist. or maybe, just maybe, your rules based on, what was it, EIGHT job applications in a year (and how many interviews)? maybe they're not exactly tried and true.

Well the lady who interviewed me gave me a timeline and said......."give me about a week" Not "we are interviewing other people and expect to here from us on this date.

I just don't think it's ever a good sign to hear others are being interviewed

Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
As far as I can remember every person I have hired has heard something to the effect of "when everyone is done being interviewed we will reach out to you".

Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
in conclusion, humans are weird, and trying to make simple rules about human behavior is a fool's game.
Perfect. So because I have a different analysis on the phrase in the OP, I'm considered a fool by you...

Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well the lady who interviewed me gave me a timeline and said......."give me about a week" Not "we are interviewing other people and expect to here from us on this date.

I just don't think it's ever a good sign to hear others are being interviewed
did i ever say that every single interviewer uses that phrase to talk about their timeline? it's just one of many ways that they might indicate to you where they are in the hiring process. it's a totally innocuous thing and you might as well note your sock color at every interview and talk about whether you got the job based on that. it's about as useful and significant. NEVER wear grey socks to an interview, that's all i can say! it's never a good sign when the interviewer has a green tie on. it's never a good sign when they have a pair of scissors on the right side of their desk. and if they say the word "also" more than 3 times, FORGET ABOUT IT JUST GIVE UP NOW!!!

how many interviews have you had in your life, by the way? out of the 8 jobs you applied to the year you were unemployed, how many interviews did you get?

most importantly, how many times have you been told "we are interviewing other candidates"? how many times were you NOT told that and didn't get the job? we already know that you have a whopping sample size of ONE time when you were not told that and you DID get the job.

do you understand yet how these patterns you are seeing are statistically insignificant?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
FBJ

Quote:
did i ever say that every single interviewer uses that phrase to talk about their timeline? it's just one of many ways that they might indicate to you where they are in the hiring process. it's a totally innocuous thing and you might as well note your sock color at every interview and talk about whether you got the job based on that. it's about as useful and significant. NEVER wear grey socks to an interview, that's all i can say! it's never a good sign when the interviewer has a green tie on. it's never a good sign when they have a pair of scissors on the right side of their desk. and if they say the word "also" more than 3 times, FORGET ABOUT IT JUST GIVE UP NOW!!!

how many interviews have you had in your life, by the way? out of the 8 jobs you applied to the year you were unemployed, how many interviews did you get?

most importantly, how many times have you been told "we are interviewing other candidates"? how many times were you NOT told that and didn't get the job? we already know that you have a whopping sample size of ONE time when you were not told that and you DID get the job.

do you understand yet how these patterns you are seeing are statistically insignificant?

Everytime I heard we are interviewing others I never got the job.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Everytime I heard we are interviewing others I never got the job.
how many times was that?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
how many times was that?

I don't have the exact number from 1999 to now, I don't remember honestly

I just knew instantly I was out of the running when i heard that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or