U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Reputation: 4944

Advertisements

make a guess. was it more than 5? more than 10? more than 20? in 2012, how many interviews did you have total? you must know that.

in my last job search, i received 2 offers, and during the interview process for both of those jobs i was told that they were interviewing other candidates. so perhaps your theory is wrong. maybe what you are observing is just a coincidence. i certainly don't think that hearing about other candidates is a GOOD sign. i just think it's usually (not always, but usually) neutral. the fact that we've had such different experiences (and that a hiring manager has spoken up in this thread and said it's neutral when they say it) supports my assertion. your assertion is only supported by your own limited experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
make a guess. was it more than 5? more than 10? more than 20? in 2012, how many interviews did you have total? you must know that.

in my last job search, i received 2 offers, and during the interview process for both of those jobs i was told that they were interviewing other candidates. so perhaps your theory is wrong. maybe what you are observing is just a coincidence. i certainly don't think that hearing about other candidates is a GOOD sign. i just think it's usually (not always, but usually) neutral. the fact that we've had such different experiences (and that a hiring manager has spoken up in this thread and said it's neutral when they say it) supports my assertion. your assertion is only supported by your own limited experience.


The job that I have now I knew she was interviewing others but she did a good job in making believe it was just me by

asking do I have a cell number in addition to my home

Updating me on the hiring process on email

Calling and leaving messages



In regards to how many over the years on how many times I heard others and didn't get the job is about 8 or 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, work in CT
9,028 posts, read 14,808,300 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
"We're Also Interviewing Other People..."

They're saying to "keep looking.We haven't made ANY decisions, and who knows when/if we will."
I find it is more often this. Most of the time when I'm told this I didn't get the job, but for a temporary position I had for a few months last year I was told this and in the end they got back to me for a 2nd interview and hiring ONE MONTH after the first interview. So I don't assume anything anymore.

Then again, for something I interviewed last week, I got this but they also described what a 2nd interview will be like (it's for a teaching position and you'd do a mock lesson) and said, "does that sound like something you'd be willing to come back for"? Which I found kind of weird. Emailed the customary "thank you" note but haven't heard one way or another if you're curious.....probably means 'no' but again you never know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Reputation: 4944
you shouldn't need to be told to keep looking. you should always keep looking until you have a job offer in writing. and even those fall through occasionally.

i mean, i guess that's the root of it - good sign or bad sign or neutral sign, what does it matter? your actions should be the same regardless. you still don't know whether you got it til you get it, and you should assume you didn't get it until you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
 
Location: PHL
287 posts, read 547,989 times
Reputation: 238
I take that statement as a code for we are still looking for "superman" or someone who is more qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I find it is more often this. Most of the time when I'm told this I didn't get the job, but for a temporary position I had for a few months last year I was told this and in the end they got back to me for a 2nd interview and hiring ONE MONTH after the first interview. So I don't assume anything anymore.

Then again, for something I interviewed last week, I got this but they also described what a 2nd interview will be like (it's for a teaching position and you'd do a mock lesson) and said, "does that sound like something you'd be willing to come back for"? Which I found kind of weird. Emailed the customary "thank you" note but haven't heard one way or another if you're curious.....probably means 'no' but again you never know.....

Sounds like they were just asking if you are interested in the opportunity after giving you all the information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you shouldn't need to be told to keep looking. you should always keep looking until you have a job offer in writing. and even those fall through occasionally.

i mean, i guess that's the root of it - good sign or bad sign or neutral sign, what does it matter? your actions should be the same regardless. you still don't know whether you got it til you get it, and you should assume you didn't get it until you do.


What about if you get a verbal offer from the company you want over the phone or voicemail, does the job search end at that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
Reputation: 4944
i'd personally wait for a written offer - at the very least an e-mail confirmation with a start date. there's not usually a very long time between verbal and written offers, at least not in my experience. if you receive a verbal offer and accept it, you can ask for an e-mail confirmation.

also, does anyone really leave a job offer via voicemail? eep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'd personally wait for a written offer - at the very least an e-mail confirmation with a start date. there's not usually a very long time between verbal and written offers, at least not in my experience. if you receive a verbal offer and accept it, you can ask for an e-mail confirmation.

also, does anyone really leave a job offer via voicemail? eep.

Yeah it surprised me too but I think it was because I had my ringer off and she was unable to get me on both of my phones so I guess she wanted to hurry up and offer me the job before another place did


But she had no idea that there was no other job I wanted but this one so there was no competition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,923,913 times
Reputation: 4008
Actually, come to think of it, I've been told stuff before like "We have a few more interviews for this round, we're going to invite the top 6 candidates back for a 2nd round so the recruiter/HR guy will be in contact with you after the 19th to let you know either way."

I don't quite see that as the same as "We're interviewing other people", but some might.

I also wonder if some interviewers don't say "we're interviewing other people" because some people really do have a hard time grasping that they are not the only qualified candidate sometimes. The hiring process is not like having a yard sale, where the first person who expresses interest gets the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top