U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,166,342 times

Advertisements

Is that line a euphemism for something else...like we're second thinking this interview and don't call us we'll call you?...

I've even gotten that line when I've done walk in apps and not from ads,I'm like who else are you interviewing when you didn't even advertise for the job?...

I don't often get interviews,but when I do they usually go well(I think at least). On the most recent one,I was listening to what the guy was saying about how difficult some other applicants were...so I thought I had it in the bag. But alas the way my luck goes,superman interviewed after me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
i don't think it's usually a euphemism.

i have heard people say that if an employer is REALLY interested in you, they won't say this. i don't think that's universally true though. they might just be saying it to give you an idea of the timeline (like "we're interviewing the rest of this week and then we'll make a decision"). or they might be saying it for no reason at all.

i think it's pretty rare that an employer only interviews one person, so pointing it out is kind of silly. but interviewers are humans, they are silly sometimes.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
We say it when it is true (and it always is).

Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Depending on what stage of the interview process you hear this, it can mean different things.

At the early stages (phone or first interview), it means that they are sorting through the candidates.

At the later stages (2nd, 3rd, etc), it likely means they are probably not interested in your candidacy.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
We say it when it is true (and it always is).

Same with us. It is a statement of fact, not some secret code that you have to figure out.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM

150 posts, read 250,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Is that line a euphemism for something else...like we're second thinking this interview and don't call us we'll call you?...

The only real purpose that line serves is to make you feel lucky that you got the job(if/when you do the job). If you don't get the job then it is meaningless.

You shouldn't put your job search on hold because they are interviewing other people. If they tell you this at the end of the interview then just move on with your life, there is nothing further you can do either way.

Now I was on an interview a little while back where they told me they are taking applications on a rolling basis. This raised a flag to me that there must be a constant turnover of people at the place.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM

103 posts, read 251,329 times
Not true. I just got an offer from an employer who told me they were interviewing someone else on Thursday. Granted, it was in the context of "we will let you know by Friday or Monday at the latest bc we are interviewing someone on Friday" but it was still said. I would take it as maybe their explanation as to why it may take awhile.

Also, I lost an unadvertised job to another person when I thought I had it in the bag and assumed I was the only one interviewing. Unadvertised doesn't mean only candidate as I learned the hard way

Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,235,479 times
Every time an employer said this I never got the job or another interview. When I did get the next interview they usually said something like "we will be calling you".

Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,422,038 times
"We're Also Interviewing Other People..."

They're saying to "keep looking.We haven't made ANY decisions, and who knows when/if we will."

Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM

49 posts, read 138,825 times
It's usually not a euphemism. Unless you're applying for some type of upper management or executive position, the person conducting the interview is not a person who is capable of extending an offer. They will usually interview a bunch of people, then report to their manager saying "These are the best two or three people for the position."

Also, usually any potential job will include multiple interviews, and the interviewers will need to confer with each other after the interview before making a decision on hiring you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or