U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,431,389 times

Advertisements

Did you ever have a really funny -- or a really bad interview? Something that really stood out as weird or strange or funny.

My worst one was when I went to interview at a very small company. This was sometime in the 1990s.

The man who interviewed me was the head of the company.

The interview was going along all right until he suddenly said in a joking manner: "Yes, we're laid back. Sometimes we'll say some sexist jokes but that's all right of course."

I was so startled that someone would actually say that in an interview that I became silent and hardly said another word. Of course, I did not get the job. Not that I wanted it

I think that even a non-feminist would be surprised that someone would say that during a job interview. Imagine what it would be like to work for him.

Perhaps he was testing me. If someone said that to me today I'd just say that it isn't acceptable and walk right out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,761,797 times
the one that stands out for me as the worst was for a small software firm.

they were interviewing back to back and running late so i had to sit there awkwardly while they shuttled another candidate around the office. i was trying to be friendly to her (just like, smiling and saying "hi") and she was avoiding eye contact.

when i got into the CEO's office, his assistant came in and said "_____ (the person interviewed before me)'s not in there!" and the CEO was like "OH WELL NO BIG LOSS" thinking she'd walked out. but his assistant meant she wasn't in the computer system and couldn't fill out their online application. so he went and fiddled around with that for a bit.

after he came back, we talked about:

1. his college - his diploma was the only thing on the wall in his giant office. it was a really small college and my sister went there too.
2. a loooong discussion of his marital and child custody issues. he told me a weird story about how his ex-wife was always jealous of his female office manager but not his traveling assistant (i was interviewing to be his traveling assistant). uhhh ok!
3. a brief overview of the job.

then he said "ok, do you have any questions?" and i was like "do you have any questions for ME?" and he said that he liked me so far but the only way to know if i could do the job was to have me work with him for a day. he said he might be in my area working soon, that he'd be in touch, and then he had me fill out the weird, really badly designed online application form.

i never heard back from him and i wasn't too sad about that!

best interviews - well, one i had where ended up coming in second was so good that i didn't realize til way later that the job would have been awful (assisting several super-needy, rich, famous business school professors/manbabies). i just really clicked with the interviewers and it was definitely more of a conversation than an interview. i had that super excited, walking on air feeling at the end and i was really disappointed that i didn't get it. the woman who would have been my supervisor was really great and she might have made the job tolerable, but i don't know.

i definitely got a good feeling from the interviews for the place where i just got hired, and i felt like the entire process was very humane and considerate and made me feel like this is going to be a good place to work, but i never felt like any of those interviews were GREAT.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM

10,154 posts, read 12,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Did you ever have a really funny -- or a really bad interview? Something that really stood out as weird or strange or funny.

My worst one was when I went to interview at a very small company. This was sometime in the 1990s.

The man who interviewed me was the head of the company.

The interview was going along all right until he suddenly said in a joking manner: "Yes, we're laid back. Sometimes we'll say some sexist jokes but that's all right of course."

I was so startled that someone would actually say that in an interview that I became silent and hardly said another word. Of course, I did not get the job. Not that I wanted it

I think that even a non-feminist would be surprised that someone would say that during a job interview. Imagine what it would be like to work for him.

Perhaps he was testing me. If someone said that to me today I'd just say that it isn't acceptable and walk right out.
Never had what I would call a "best" interview, but I did have a "worst" in early 1970's.

I was young with little experience and not a lot in the way of skills.

Household Finance had a job opening in Sacramento that sounded great. I could be an "account representative" and wear a tie and look important and stuff. Wow, if only I could get a job wearing a tie I would be on my way up the corporate ladder, no?

I needed the job really, really bad. Had not worked in a couple months and I was down and out relying on friends for a dollar here and a dollar there along with a place to crash. Most miserable time in my entire life.

It was February and the month before I contracted a case of viral pneumonia and to say I felt like crap would be an understatement. It was so bad I nearly ended up in the hospital and being viral there wasn't a lot that could be done for me other than for me to get lots of rest. The cough was the worst, it would come on like a train wreck and I would cough so hard I would end up puking. A couple times I thought I was gonna die.

So I went to this interview, I really needed the job, with a low grade temperature feeling so bad but I thought I could "fake it".

I didn't, made it part way through, started coughing, used the bathroom where everyone could hear me puking into the toilet . The interviewer was knocking on the door asking if he should call an ambulance and from here the interview went all downhill.

I didn't get the job but in retrospect not getting it turned out the best thing that could have happened to me. Sometimes life has some real curves in the road you don't see.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Once I applied to a small town newspaper for a reporting job. When I got an interview I was excited because they must have loved my clips!

The interviewer (one of the assistant editors) was really nice but during the interview he mentioned that they had already filled my position but he wanted to talk to me because he liked my cover letter and clips so much!

I'm really not sure why they were wasting my time. I figured that maybe they wanted to keep me in mind for future job openings but they really didn't hire reporters that often. I was very disappointed.

A couple of years later they advertised again. I applied again to the same newspaper (what was I thinking?).

This time I was interviewed by the Editor-in-Chief. She seemed vague, couldn't remember my credentials, and tried to find my resume amongst the many on her desk (the job market had really tightened up since my last interview and I guess they had many applicants).

She didn't seem to know anything about me at all.

A few days later I received a rejection letter. This was the 1990s and mail merge was very common for mass mailings but apparently this newspaper had never heard of it. The letter looked like it was mimeographed (there was very faint print on the other side).

Remember, this was a newspaper. Newspapers have editors.

Apparently it was a form letter that they used for everyone they rejected. It looked like it was from the 1970s.

At the top was "Dear ___________. My name was written in ink on the line.

My name is not that complicated.

They spelled my name wrong.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,518,881 times
Worst Interview..............In 1999 asked what are you leaving your current job?

My Answer..............."Its just too much pressure and stress"

Best Interview................In 2009 when asked what is your biggest weakness

My Answer.................."well right now I type 50 WPM and want to increase that to 80 WPM during my sparetime so I can get a lot more done during the day"

Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Worst Interview..............In 1999 asked what are you leaving your current job?

My Answer..............."Its just too much pressure and stress"

Best Interview................In 2009 when asked what is your biggest weakness

My Answer.................."well right now I type 50 WPM and want to increase that to 80 WPM during my sparetime so I can get a lot more done during the day"
That's pretty good.

This link shows ridiculous answers by job seekers. Some of these people are . . . not bright.

43 weird things said in job interviews - CNN.com

Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,518,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
That's pretty good.

This link shows ridiculous answers by job seekers. Some of these people are . . . not bright.

43 weird things said in job interviews - CNN.com

Thanks, I could tell by their reaction that i was going to get the job lol

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 PM

12,751 posts, read 15,184,613 times
Best: traveled to a location the evening prior to the interview to meet with the hiring manager and his team. The hiring company paid for the travel expenses and even offered additional nights at the hotel so that I could "familiarize" myself with the new city, in case I accepted the position and relocated. Interview went very well. I met about 4-5 people and finally the Director of the department. We chatted about salary and I thanked them, we shook hands and I left. 3 hours later, I received a call from HR, with a verbal offer.

Worst: interviewed with a local company. They were completely disorganized and did not even know the job description or responsibilities for the (newly created) position they were hiring for. They canceled interviews on 2 occasions (about an hour prior to the interview). Needless to say, I lost interest real quick and would have not accepted an offer even if they decided to move forward with me. Complete waste of time.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,946,517 times
Worst interview for me happened shortly after I graduated college. My degree was in speech communications, and I was trying to land a job in radio. About two weeks after I graduated, I landed an interview at the biggest AM station in the state. I drove in to Milwaukee with high hopes. The position was only a once a week overnight position, but I figured it was a start, and an opportunity to get my foot in the door. Well, the interview literally lasted only five minutes, and the interviewer told me "We have other applicants with more experience then you." He quickly showed me the door. I got the feeling he hadn't bothered to really even look at my resume before calling me to schedule the interview.

I really don't get why they even bothered to schedule me for an interview. I left that day rather miffed that I had driven all the way to Milwaukee for a five minute interview.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM

315 posts, read 485,827 times
Let it be known, I'm only 20, so I've only had a handful of jobs and some silly interviews for "teenager" summer positions but I thought it'd be a good addition because it's pretty funny.

I was 15, applied for a job at the local amusement park in the Games Dept. They are a big corporation, so you'd think they'd hire organized people. The lady mixed my application with some other girls and was asking me questions based on that. She asked me why I had gotten in trouble with security in the park? I looked at her like she had 4 heads and she said "Are you _____?" when I said no she apologized and found my application. She told me to go wait outside and I was hired. Another weird thing she did was go and tell my Dad I got the job before me....I think that ranks as the worst.

Best interview was back in March for my current position at a local Nature Center. Basically I teach kids/the public about the nature in NJ and do public programs, tours, etc. I answered every question great, to my surprise anyway, because I didn't have much confidence! I work with live animals in some programs, so the most interesting part of the interview was when my boss took out a snake for me to hold! He said just because you say you're not afraid of snakes doesn't mean it's true, but I've never been afraid of any animals in my life. I was in awe how gorgeous he was and I guess that's what got me hired! I still love using that snake to this day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search