U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,470,654 times

Advertisements

You are all over the place. If those buzzwords are working, keep them. It's totally meaningless to an employer.

They want to see something concrete. What? When? Where? How? List the greatest accomplishments that demonstrate problem solving or leadership. Anybody can say they are a problem solver, but not everybody can come up with examples.

You should always do a small test, before sending out the resume to everybody. Send out 10 resumes with your buzzwords and send out another 10 without the buzzwords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixalGirl View Post
To me, the truth well told is to tell it in an interesting fashion. Not spin it, or bend it, but say it in a appealing way, no matter who my audience is. For example, which is more appealing to you? "Diet Beer", or Meister Brau "Lite"?

And which would you tell people: "Here's a beer that will help you lose weight", "Here's a beer that is not as tasty to you as regular beer but it tastes a lot better than the other diet beer out there", "Miller Lite; Tastes Great, Less Filling", or "Miller Lite…..everything you ever wanted in a beer, and less."

It doesn't matter to me how much or little I write. I could easily shorten it, but it might then become 10 pounds of poo in a 5 bag. I'm trying to write eloquently, not less is more, sure. Less poo is more poo!

Ok so here I am. Drive a 10 mile radius around you, and see if you can find someone who has 3 diplomas, 20 years experience both technical and as a designer in the web industry. Go!

Now see? You probably couldn't! I know this. So how can I find and interesting way to tell this? This is a very important distinguishable truth about myself.

How about this: I've been doing this for a while, I'm getting old, (42) and if people don't see this, and I get left behind, I might not survive, so, here's how I can tell it:

Just don't go without me.

I need to express myself meaningfully. How can I verbally translate this very important distinguishable truth about myself onto my resume?
I'm not sure what you just said but ... don't put it on the resume.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,028,344 times
I use chronological, name, e-mail, city, state, objective, then chrono relevant jobs and bold awards and accomplishments in sales since that's what I am in.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 27,271 times
Hi, I'm trying out that format shown above along with the sample that was given. when i'm finished it, I've love it if it could be further looked over. I didn't realize how helpful this forum was. I'm so far, very thankful!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Good point about trying with and without buzzwords. I find it strange people ask me about an example from the past, but I try to think up some star stories before I get there, and that way I have ideas already. I always forget the past and move forward, I'd rather tell them how I would problem solve now, and for them to give me an example of a situation they encounter often in their office. Just a thought.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,858,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixalGirl View Post
Good point about trying with and without buzzwords. I find it strange people ask me about an example from the past, but I try to think up some star stories before I get there, and that way I have ideas already. I always forget the past and move forward, I'd rather tell them how I would problem solve now, and for them to give me an example of a situation they encounter often in their office. Just a thought.
Forget the buzzwords. I used to put them on my resume because of the advice I received from Workforce One. They don't do anything, except have an employer toss your resume aside. Now I just list my skills, education, and work history.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM

370 posts, read 620,853 times
For me, graphic designers make things pretty and UI/UX also make things more functional and easy to use. I know you say you did some programming and built sites with functionality and that is good, but when I am looking for UI/UX people, I want to hear how they improve the user experience. Because you do have the word revamped on your resume and there was a before and after picture of a restaurant in your portfolio, you have to be able to say how you made it better for the end user, not just more pleasing to the eye even though that is part of the equation.

Most things I see on your resume and in your portfolio would have me look at you for a graphic design job, but I honestly don't see UI/UX as a strength. I do see web development and SharePoint development is a very sought after skill, probably more marketable and lucrative than UI/UX design, assuming Microsoft is still big in Canada.

I also agree with others in that your personal skills are commonly used buzz words that won't distinguish yourself and can be left off. Use your space with more experience and results text than those words. Honestly, that column can only serve to work against you. What does "Standardize, Integrate" mean in terms of a personal attribute? Things like project planning and policies writing are skills anyway, not personal attributes. I also don't mind that you want employers to know that you play the organ and sustain award winning gardens, but I would rather see that space better utilized with accomplishments. At this stage of your career, you should have to be leaving things out of your resume as opposed to using filler.

I'm not trying to be harsh and my resume goes through re-writes all the time, but hopefully you find some of this helpful.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM

I decided to actually improve my website with the skills I have in JQuery, such as...instead of the slideshow, I'd have a swipe screen for mobile. I'm actually going back to doing that tomorrow. My website is still under construction. What I've done is create a website that I can further modify re-using the code in a different way. I am trying to think of other improvements, and I decided I should refurbish the design to be responsive. Anyway, I think the problem is how I'm presenting myself. You see that I look like a graphic designer, but I've done more web design than pure graphic design in all my career. I've worked probably on about 100 websites in different ways and purposes. Right now, with the programming I learned over a course of 4 years, I feel like a very powerful designer and could easily slip into UI/UX. So I'm putting that down as an objective, but honestly, I've worked mostly in interactive work.

Here's a second draft
Attached Files
File Type: zip Deborah Michaliszyn UI-UX Web Designer.zip (64.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Also what I've done for my website to make it more functional so far is I've managed the CSS to scale the fonts proportionately to any browser screen. For example, on the desktop it might be 16, and on a tablet that's actually 32 pt! So what I did was, I allowed the paragraph text to be whatever the user set up in their browser, and then the H1, H2, H3 and so forth are all in percentages. I'm going to program that RSS to do the ellipsis after 2 lines...because CSS doesn't actually allow 3 lines before the ellipsis. So that will be a little custom code on my part! I've also programmed the logo as pure text so that it's sharp on all screens. I only have to redo the text in the portfolio because that's rather fuzzy. I'm gradually getting it all polished up. I programmed all the rss feeds in php, and I was trying to think of a cool idea to put in the front page. I used 960.gs as a framework and integrated into a the template, which I designed for Joomla. I am going to further take that HTML5 programming, and make it responsive. I have set up, for the future several layout patterns I can use on the grid so it won't be hard to do, I just have to dream up what I want. I did try to animate that star bolt I created in Adobe After Effects, but the problem was that really, it's not that feasible. I might end up making a full screen video using Jquery instead, and not use frames, because when you program using sprites, I realized that no matter what you do, it never works smoothly. You can only really do that with very tiny graphics, so I learned the hard way and ended up taking one of the screen shots as a picture.

This is what I mean, I'm extremely versatile, I'm not limited by what I can do, It's just a challenge deciding what I "want" to do on my own portfolio. I don't want to program widgets for the sake of having a widget! It has to be meaningful. I care a lot about function, and it bothers me a lot to add bells and whistles for no reason. I almost wanted to do animation in Canvas, but what bothers me is that the DOM is set up differently on all the top browsers, so it's better to use JQuery because it handles all the browsers. the only reason I made a flat version of my website was because I wanted to put version 1.0 up! There will be a new version, trust me. There's lots of things I'm working on on that website. Really, you have no idea what's gone into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or