U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM

27,432 posts, read 15,833,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You made the statement someone is stuck with whatever jobs are left and i responded with not if they start looking in places that don't have a lot of eye traffic.

For example, in the Philly Sunday paper, some of the jobs in posted inside the paper are not shown if you read the paper online. So that's why I said someone fresh out of college maybe to find a job as a front desk agent which is a lot better than retail or fast food
And there are not many places that are underground unless you talk day-laboring. Every job seeker knows that the free papers, the paid papers, job boards and community have job openings. It's not rocket science. And also sometimes these jobs are promoted across the

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The point being made is that you are taking an enormous leap in assuming that the general public - whatever the age - doesn't know that there are jobs advertised in the newspapers as in IN PRINT. This generalization is totally out there and is simply not true. I'm guessing that you recently came across someone who'd forgotten about actually looking in the classified ads of a print newspaper for a job. Based on that you've now decided that everyone is ignorant about the resource. That's funny.
Yeah, that doesn't fly. Perhaps they aren't as sought after for whatever reason (IE all sales being commissioned sales, low paying jobs for the field, ect.) but it doesn't mean people didn't look at those jobs and didn't apply. Maybe they got 4-50 applications rather than say 100+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And there are not many places that are underground unless you talk day-laboring. Every job seeker knows that the free papers, the paid papers, job boards and community have job openings. It's not rocket science. And also sometimes these jobs are promoted across the

Yeah, that doesn't fly. Perhaps they aren't as sought after for whatever reason (IE all sales being commissioned sales, low paying jobs for the field, ect.) but it doesn't mean people didn't look at those jobs and didn't apply. Maybe they got 4-50 applications rather than say 100+

So doesn't that still mean the local papers have less eye traffic if they received 4-50 resumes instead of 100?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So doesn't that still mean the local papers have less eye traffic if they received 4-50 resumes instead of 100?
It would yes, BUT it's still competitive in those jobs if they are applicable. Let's remember a lot of jobs in the news papers are not defined jobs. They say make X a day/week for working with us (sometimes they don't even list who is the employer.)

Old 07-21-2013, 01:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
It would yes, BUT it's still competitive in those jobs if they are applicable. Let's remember a lot of jobs in the news papers are not defined jobs. They say make X a day/week for working with us (sometimes they don't even list who is the employer.)

The Philadelphia Inquirer has a 5 page employment section each week that has some legit jobs which states the company, email address, or fax number for your resume to be sent to.

Now the Philadelphia Daily News employment section is small so I would encourage job seekers right now to focus on the sunday paper

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
The Philadelphia Inquirer has a 5 page employment section each week that has some legit jobs which states the company, email address, or fax number for your resume to be sent to.

Now the Philadelphia Daily News employment section is small so I would encourage job seekers right now to focus on the sunday paper
And that's kinda fair. Most of the jobs I see in the daily papers (by me) are commission-based jobs selling newspaper subscriptions at sporting events in the rotunda. Guess what, I rather have the McDonald's job over the travel to an arena/stadium and hope that enough people sign up that goto the game out of the tens of thousands that do. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 AM
FBJ

Quote:
And that's kinda fair. Most of the jobs I see in the daily papers (by me) are commission-based jobs selling newspaper subscriptions at sporting events in the rotunda. Guess what, I rather have the McDonald's job over the travel to an arena/stadium and hope that enough people sign up that goto the game out of the tens of thousands that do. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I would and have taken a sales job over a Mcdonald's job any day of the week lol

Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I would and have taken a sales job over a Mcdonald's job any day of the week lol
Except if the team is on an away stretch for the week. Say the Flyers are on an away stretch of say 6 games, that is about a week and a half (if it's not back-to-back days through out.) Now unless you also do Sixers games as well... That's also considering you make a good number of sales during this time. It's like working at a car dealership, it's only good if you can actually sell a few cars.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Except if the team is on an away stretch for the week. Say the Flyers are on an away stretch of say 6 games, that is about a week and a half (if it's not back-to-back days through out.) Now unless you also do Sixers games as well... That's also considering you make a good number of sales during this time. It's like working at a car dealership, it's only good if you can actually sell a few cars.

The funny thing about sales is I am so good at it but don't want it to be my primary source of income because it's so sink or swim. The last time a sales job was my primary source of income was when I was living at home with mom so I was able to take the risk lol

Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The funny thing about sales is I am so good at it but don't want it to be my primary source of income because it's so sink or swim. The last time a sales job was my primary source of income was when I was living at home with mom so I was able to take the risk lol
And if that's the only job available is it still better than a McJob?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 4,743,531 times
Quote:
I was talking with my parents and I notice that suggestions that they offer such as going to job fairs are out dated and irrelevant. I want to know why is it that many people do not have a clue either how tough it is to be looking for work, the new processes and/or the way companies handle the processes. As I said to them, with my experience in retail and getting a customer service degree I should not "fail" a retail assessment (and yes I did just strongly agree/disagree except one in that portion.)
The bolded is why you failed the assessment. You are listening to people on this forum and they are all wrong. I develop assessments, some of which are in the retail space and I can tell you that is not the way to answer those assessments. Keep listening to everyone on this forum and answer all your assessments like that. I'm sure you'll do great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search