U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,558,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And if that's the only job available is it still better than a McJob?

I think so, I would just have to come home and write scripts so I could get a lot of sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,667,540 times
Quote:
I was talking with my parents and I notice that suggestions that they offer such as going to job fairs are out dated and irrelevant.

And yet my company is going to participate in their 3rd job fair this year, next month. So, I guess you should tell my bosses that the job fairs they have hired people from are outdated and irrelevant.

I want to know why is it that many people do not have a clue

But it would also seem that you are not all that savvy.

either how tough it is to be looking for work, the new processes and/or the way companies handle the processes.

Again, I guess my company must just be confused.

As I said to them, with my experience in retail and getting a customer service degree

What the heck is a customer service degree????? There is no such thing from ANY university...100% positive you can not get a B.A. in Customer Service. Management, maybe...

I should not "fail" a retail assessment (and yes I did just strongly agree/disagree except one in that portion.)

Yet, you state that you know how hiring is handled...but don't and that you have the oddest degree I have ever heard someone claim...so I am guessing you did not do as well on that assessment as you think....
Ummmmmm.....

Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 PM

27,591 posts, read 15,944,940 times
I know I am not perfect in the job search. There are things I've done wrong but the hard part is what works for one doesn't work for others. Some personality tests are based around sa/sd answers others aren't. Other parts are more about the particular what would you do in a situation where several answers COULD be right in some way or the best answer is combining two together. Say for a co-worker who has bad safety record wants to "help" you show a new hire safety procedures the answers are:
  1. Let them help.
  2. Say no thanks to them.
  3. Tell the manager.
Obviously 1 is wrong but 2 and 3 could be right in different ways or perhaps you do 2 and then do 3 after training is over for the day.

I am not trying to make a cop-out but these assessment tests are not flawless. I am not even going into finding answers online. I am just saying that the answers can be better explained in a reasonable written response rather than speed through the multiple choice section. Unless a book test, most of these answers could be subjective to what is correct and incorrect. If I were running a company and used these tests, I would try to use these written answers in some way.

Also my degree is in business management with a certificate in customer relations that I got through the school.

Last edited by mkpunk; 07-22-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,081,472 times
For the personality tests you must answer them as if you were a wimp who doesn't question anything, and is content with being pushed around. Basically, you need to answer as a positive stooge.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,776,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
For the personality tests you must answer them as if you were a wimp who doesn't question anything, and is content with being pushed around. Basically, you need to answer as a positive stooge.
Sorry, but this only demonstrates how very little you know about personality tests and how they're analyzed..

Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,539,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
False.

Might be one of the barriers you claim to encounter on a regular basis.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM

545 posts, read 828,197 times
I went to a teaching job fair at a school district (the district shall be nameless) last Thursday and one of the interviewers who was a teacher had a nose ring on. A freaking nose ring on!!!!!!!! Talk about unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, she had to be in her mid to late 30's. So one would assume she would have been "wiser" since she's older, however, this was not the case.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM

27,591 posts, read 15,944,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I went to a teaching job fair at a school district (the district shall be nameless) last Thursday and one of the interviewers who was a teacher had a nose ring on. A freaking nose ring on!!!!!!!! Talk about unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, she had to be in her mid to late 30's. So one would assume she would have been "wiser" since she's older, however, this was not the case.
Body jewelry and tattoos are less and less taboo. Now I am not saying let's have knuckle tattoos or naked people on your body but we are in and age where we are more accepting of it. Personally I have no problem with piercings or tattoos. I myself wouldn't do a piercing but tattoos, sure.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,890,669 times
Quote:
Why do I have a problem? Is it me or the job fairs?
You are the problem. You fail to see what you should do and your attitude towards the process is terrible. Yes, when I look for employees, I want to prescreen the bad, so I better be impressed before I interview someone.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,558,231 times
Job Fairs are pointless but I would never tell the people who I help find jobs because it's my job to pretend they are really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search