U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,399,658 times
Reputation: 26532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Job Fairs are pointless but I would never tell the people who I help find jobs because it's my job to pretend they are really helpful.
Pointless in your opinion. Not in everybody's, not a "fact".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,656,793 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Pointless in your opinion. Not in everybody's, not a "fact".
The job fairs for the general public I've been to tend to cater to sales people who work off commission. So if you're in sales, they might be useful. Otherwise, they probably won't be your cup of tea.

I think college job fairs tend to produce a more diversified portfolio of companies and types of jobs they are seeking to fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,476,611 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I went to a teaching job fair at a school district (the district shall be nameless) last Thursday and one of the interviewers who was a teacher had a nose ring on. A freaking nose ring on!!!!!!!! Talk about unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!
If this is perfectly acceptable where she currently works then, no...I do not find it that unprofessional at all.

And yes, she had to be in her mid to late 30's. So one would assume she would have been "wiser" since she's older, however, this was not the case.[/quote]

[quote=ryhoyarbie;30626574]Please tell me how having a nose ring means one is not that smart (i.e., not "wise"). I am sure I know what your response will be, but I always get a chuckle out of these answers anyways. And, no, I do not have any piercings myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,312 posts, read 15,776,861 times
Reputation: 9864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You are the problem. You fail to see what you should do and your attitude towards the process is terrible. Yes, when I look for employees, I want to prescreen the bad, so I better be impressed before I interview someone.
Then what do I do. I've gone to several and most jobs end up being dreck high turnover jobs. I rarely see decent jobs at job fairs. I think at some point job fairs work (the college ones to an extent are the best for recent college graduates.) But the issue is job fairs are fairly not the way things work.

As for my attitude, what do you think is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Maui County, HI
4,131 posts, read 6,305,516 times
Reputation: 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Get over yourself. No one owes you jack.
I disagree. Society owes a job to anybody that wants a job. If it can't provide that, it has to provide welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM
 
302 posts, read 990,014 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I disagree. Society owes a job to anybody that wants a job. If it can't provide that, it has to provide welfare.
That is not how things work in a market economy. Simply having jobs because of your entitlement feelings is not at all productive or efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,656,793 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I disagree. Society owes a job to anybody that wants a job. If it can't provide that, it has to provide welfare.
I think that's a bit over the top.

However, I would think that most people care enough to voluntarily help those out who are having a particularly difficult time finding work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,312 posts, read 15,776,861 times
Reputation: 9864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think that's a bit over the top.

However, I would think that most people care enough to voluntarily help those out who are having a particularly difficult time finding work.
One would hope this is the case for an individual. However it isn't exactly easy when there are still at least 3 people out of work for every available job (if they were filled today) in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Illinois
827 posts, read 943,655 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I disagree. Society owes a job to anybody that wants a job. If it can't provide that, it has to provide welfare.
LOL Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
 
13 posts, read 17,564 times
Reputation: 46
lol you think we have a market economy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
That is not how things work in a market economy. Simply having jobs because of your entitlement feelings is not at all productive or efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top