U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,403 times

Advertisements

Yes I know why. I'm not the only person who has shattered the "just go get a fast food job and stop being lazy" myth, and it is a myth. Perpetuated by a sick mentality that has infested people in our society and cause us all to become haves and have nots who are against each other and divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,477,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
cause us all to become haves and have nots who are against each other and divided.

It's only been that way for about 5000 years.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM

27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
OK, you have a problem then.
Why do I have a problem? Is it me or the job fairs?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
Those who have not engaged in a job search for the past 10+ years have no clue as to how frustrating it is to just get an interview today. Not to mention the many ''hoops'' that job seekers have to go through to land the job.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,517,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why do I have a problem? Is it me or the job fairs?
Nah. Job fairs are (for the most part) a waste of time. They can be good networking practice, but they don't call them hiring fairs.

To answer your original question. I personally blame HR departments. Here's my example why:

One of my offices had 4 employees, one of whom I was putting serious heat on because he was making tons of mistakes and really pissing off customers. He even screwed up a couple of policies so bad I had to take funds out of marketing budgets to rectify the issues. So, as I'm walking through the three month process to get rid of a bad apple, I notice some irregularities in daily deposits. Just as I'm wrapping up an investigation that found two people in the office stealing money (the reason I run a harder background check now) this dude up and quits. I go from 4 to 1.

I immediately tap the stack of past applicants and start digging around for other candidates, and call my HR team. Of course they don't answer. HR never answers the phone - they're "too important" probably on a conference call to schedule a meeting to talk about "next steps". So, I send an email

"Hey, I need these three positions opened up to staff, immediately. "

Response:
"We have to post it internally for 5 business days, so it'll go live for external applicants next Thursday"

Asshats! Fine, I can scrape through a week or two. Spend the 5 days interviewing, lock down 3 solids and a backup. Immediately have them apply Thursday AM. Call HR asshat - no answer. Send email - out of office reply. Escalate to his boss - no answer. 4 PM rolls around by the time she "delegates" this to new HR asshat. New HR asshat informs me that they are no longer making offers on Fridays, since it leaves little time for applicants to get to the drug testing centers. Argue that they're open Saturdays in this market, desperately short-staffed, have people wanted to get started, etc. all to no avail. Argue that IT'S ****inG THURSDAY!! Nope, too late, apparently, "Friday" starts at 2PM Thursday to HR people.

Cornholed. Have to wait until Monday for offers. Call all candidates - lose one. Cool, got a backup - call her. No worries, I'm still set. Background takes 5 days to clear, I start training following Monday. If you've done the math this is SEVENTEEN days from when I wanted to hire these people.

Side note: guy who bailed when process was delayed calls me 2 months later to see if I have any positions. The job he took instead of mine never paid out commissions due. Took him 5 months to land a spot.

HR serves no purpose. Ever. A competent manager can do everything they do cheaper, better and faster but the corporate dynamic has been so scammed by these leeches that everyone thinks they're a necessity.

Asshats.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,832,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Yes I know why. I'm not the only person who has shattered the "just go get a fast food job and stop being lazy" myth, and it is a myth. Perpetuated by a sick mentality that has infested people in our society and cause us all to become haves and have nots who are against each other and divided.
Maybe during your application process or interview you SHOW that attitude and the person thinks .. Oh crap this person will be a nightmare to work with ... shred box it goes.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM

12,597 posts, read 15,066,993 times
Most give bad advice because they have lost touch with the realities of job searching. Perhaps, they have not done a job search in many years, or are retired.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,557,559 times
Not only do employers today have no guilt about the roadblocks they put up for job seekers, they also have no guilt about how they treat people once they are hired. Here's today's fine example from Forbes magazine:

Why McDonald's Employee Budget Has Everyone Up In Arms - Forbes

Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
How is everyone else getting a job? Most people, like 90%+ seem to be finding jobs.
But under what sort of working conditions and "company culture"? I'm a rapidly-aging member of the "baby boom" generation (born 1949) who saw his long-time employer imploded and dismantled back in 1995.

Since then, i've held a variety of jobs in several states, and with every "step down" the reality of the micro-managed and politically-charged "Orwellian" workplace has become more apparent. You take what you can, where you can, and try very carefully not to step on anybody's toes.

In part,we did this to ourselves, emerging from the autonomy of the campuses at a time when America still faced minimal competition in many economic sectors. But that facade crubled in the mddle and late Seventies. With no chauvinism or disrespect intended, the emancipation of women did a great deal to erode what solidarity was left, as did the growing multipicity of cultures spawned by the "immigrtion boom" afer 1980.

There is no teurning back; the relative power (never all that great) enjoyed by labor unions was a one-time fluke enabled only by the destruction of possible competitors in World War II.

My advice to any young person with a sense of indepencence is to pursue careers and skilles suitable to use as a self-employed independent. We are in for a lot more rough sledding while the rest of the world catches up to what we took for granted.

Otherwise, it's the folly of regulation, tariff "protection", growing tensions, and possibly one day, a return to global war.

And as Herman Wouk has said "Either war is finished, or we are."

Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,769,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Nah. Job fairs are (for the most part) a waste of time. They can be good networking practice, but they don't call them hiring fairs.

To answer your original question. I personally blame HR departments. Here's my example why:

One of my offices had 4 employees, one of whom I was putting serious heat on because he was making tons of mistakes and really pissing off customers. He even screwed up a couple of policies so bad I had to take funds out of marketing budgets to rectify the issues. So, as I'm walking through the three month process to get rid of a bad apple, I notice some irregularities in daily deposits. Just as I'm wrapping up an investigation that found two people in the office stealing money (the reason I run a harder background check now) this dude up and quits. I go from 4 to 1.

I immediately tap the stack of past applicants and start digging around for other candidates, and call my HR team. Of course they don't answer. HR never answers the phone - they're "too important" probably on a conference call to schedule a meeting to talk about "next steps". So, I send an email

"Hey, I need these three positions opened up to staff, immediately. "

Response:
"We have to post it internally for 5 business days, so it'll go live for external applicants next Thursday"

Asshats! Fine, I can scrape through a week or two. Spend the 5 days interviewing, lock down 3 solids and a backup. Immediately have them apply Thursday AM. Call HR asshat - no answer. Send email - out of office reply. Escalate to his boss - no answer. 4 PM rolls around by the time she "delegates" this to new HR asshat. New HR asshat informs me that they are no longer making offers on Fridays, since it leaves little time for applicants to get to the drug testing centers. Argue that they're open Saturdays in this market, desperately short-staffed, have people wanted to get started, etc. all to no avail. Argue that IT'S ****inG THURSDAY!! Nope, too late, apparently, "Friday" starts at 2PM Thursday to HR people.

Cornholed. Have to wait until Monday for offers. Call all candidates - lose one. Cool, got a backup - call her. No worries, I'm still set. Background takes 5 days to clear, I start training following Monday. If you've done the math this is SEVENTEEN days from when I wanted to hire these people.

Side note: guy who bailed when process was delayed calls me 2 months later to see if I have any positions. The job he took instead of mine never paid out commissions due. Took him 5 months to land a spot.

HR serves no purpose. Ever. A competent manager can do everything they do cheaper, better and faster but the corporate dynamic has been so scammed by these leeches that everyone thinks they're a necessity.

Asshats.
I completely agree with you on all points, especially your proposed new HR title - "Asshats."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search