U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The graduates from say 2005/2006 and forward have been screwed. Their lifetime earnings will be lower because they had to take beneath them jobs (one thing employers don't like if you ask some on here.) Is the effect of recent college graduate un(der)employment noticeable yet, not really if you look at stats but in another 4 or 5 years when we have better understanding of the numbers, we can see how much it has effect lifetime earning and start-up, fourth year and 10th year pay.

I think the "work for the same company" fact was done by the 80's or 90's when you had all the corporate buyouts. Let's face it, companies like to buy others out for the resources and then ship off employees who are doing the same work when it is redundant and don't value. And do I blame companies for this, no. Add in companies running lean like they needed to since the credit crunch really hit in 2008, forget about being able to stay in the same company for 20/30 years.

I would imagine that is the case for many current employees. The issue seems to be employers jacked up the requirements for being in a position. I am not sure if this is a bias of wanting the best talent out there or what. I do think part of the issue is colleges not preparing for jobs. People look to college in the same way they did trade schools (even though they are not.) For the most part college doesn't translate to the workplace now. Yet millennials were told goto college because if you don't, you'll work at McDonald's for the rest of your life and you'll be a failure.
Nobody should be prepared for anything until hiring processes are rid of corruption and bias free. Currently hiring processes are a cesspool or corruption and ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Systems aren't failing you, others aren't failing you. Put on your big boy pants and stop blaming everything and everyone around you. The only person who's failing you is you and you can reverse that cycle.
Okay. I'm failing myself. Hey wait a minute, I still don't have a job. Try again though. I'll be sending in another application today for you. I don't have the 8 years of experience you want but I can stock shelves. Shred this one on the low setting instead of high.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,430,951 times
^^^ And you still haven't answered my questions (see Post #22). Instead of jumping in to parry and thrust, take a breath and think.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM

27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Nobody should be prepared for anything until hiring processes are rid of corruption and bias free. Currently hiring processes are a cesspool or corruption and ignorance.
And what do you suppose to fix that. You mention how hiring is broken but shouldn't you also have a remedy for the broken system to offer?

I think it's a broken system (in some ways) too but I don't think there is a way to make it better. The only way is, when it's no longer an employer market for jobs. I have no idea how long that will take to happen though.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Post 23, and I do have remedies. But you can't tell a psychopath to stop being psycho.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,845,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What" new processes"?

I disagree that job fairs are out dated and irrelevant.
Then apparently you mustbe able to explain thier practicality and effectiveness. I have yet to witness any in Los Angeles, Sacramento or Portland, Or. over the last 6 years from any jobseekers I know.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM

827 posts, read 943,989 times
Quote:
It is the system. As well as the people around me. They have failed me.
Get over yourself. No one owes you jack.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,430,951 times
Quote:
Post 23, and I do have remedies. But you can't tell a psychopath to stop being psycho.
What does waiting "until October to go back to Vocrehab, and tell them I need at least an associates degree" have to do with working on your own on the internet? You just have a bundle of excuses along with circumstances and people to blame! You could be well on your way to getting an online associates degree if you cut out all the time devoted to bemoaning your fate on forums. Hey, I honestly tried to help but any period of skull connecting with brick is too long. Good luck to you!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Well, things have changed since then, albeit small. I'm more knowledgable on certain things and I've learned alot. I did get my drivers license.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM

827 posts, read 943,989 times
Quote:
Well, things have changed since then, albeit small. I'm more knowledgable on certain things and I've learned alot. I did get my drivers license.
Good for you. You were able to do something most 16 year-olds can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search